Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2014, 03:23 PM

392 posts, read 1,093,109 times

Advertisements

Considering moving to a single-family home when our lease is finished, trying to get a feel for additional monthly expenses that would be incurred. We understand for sure that renting a house is a different situation than renting in a high-rise building and want to make sure we are not getting in over our heads on this.

The listing for the house in which we are interested said "tenant pays gas, cable, pool service, power, disposal service, sewer, water".

I have read on some threads here that some owners of rental homes in Las Vegas ask tenants to pay for some utilities/expenses that are traditionally included in the rent. Of course the owners can do whatever they'd like, but would anyone be able to comment on what is usually included and what is usually the responsibility of the tenants?

This house is in the area just north of Charleston and west of the 215. Is there a way to get a rough estimate of what the electric and other costs might be? We understand it varies quite a bit depending on how cool or warm people keep their homes but we have no frame of reference whatsoever and I've read on these forums about astronomical electric bills, especially in summer. The house is approximately 1900 square feet, two stories, with a pool so it will definitely take more electricity to heat and cool than our current location.

Running the pool filter costs more for sure, as does a pool service. We feel comfortable maintaining the pool ourselves but the listing doesn't look like that is an option.

Gas bill is obviously based on usage- water would be also, although there are just two of us and we try to conserve.

No idea what disposal service and sewer would cost - might it be a flat rate for that area ?

We've not been able to talk to the owners of the property (about this or anything else !) - they are using several different realty companies to market their house and we've only been in contact with the agents who have shown us the property.

Thank you for whatever help you can give !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 03:43 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,711 times
As a point of reference, I have a 2000sf single story with a pool (with an efficient variable speed pool pump) and my electric bill on balanced billing (pay the same rate all year) is $170/month. Summer peaks around $275-$300 and winter is usually around $100.

My gas bill on balanced billing is $50/month, peaks at $120 in Jan and off-winter is around $25.

I have very minimal landscaping and my water bill is around $30-$35/month.

Trash/disposal is flat rate is is approx $45/quarter.

Sewer should be around $20-$25/month.

Pool service, plan on $100/month.

Landlords typically pay trash, sewer, and pool service. Reason being, if you don't pay those items, ultimately the landlord is responsible (plus late fees) and as a landlord, I don't want my pool being damaged because you use a cheap pool service, don't pay a pool service at all, or maintain it yourself incorrectly or poorly. At least with a service, I have someone to call/complain at/sue if they screw up royally. But, like you said, they can do whatever they want, they will learn their lessons in their own time.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:49 PM

392 posts, read 1,093,109 times
thanks very much WestieJeff, will anyone else chime in?

The landscaping is xeriscaped but with some trees scattered throughout -it's a rookie question but is that water bill for water outside AND inside the house, including for laundry and showers and stuff? Good if so, because I thought it would be WAY more.

Also is balanced billing the best way to go for electric/power and gas billing - it all balances out throughout the year - how do they know what we would use to know how to charge for the initial months ?

Any pitfalls for which we should watch out, things to strongly think about before renting a house vs a condominium or in an apartment complex ?

Old 01-19-2014, 05:58 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
If you call the power company with the address you are going to rent they can tell you what it billed over the last year. I don't know exactly what their disclosure rules are but I have been able to find out pretty much what I wanted to know.

My house is 3,000SF. It is older and the heat pumps are antiques. We are simply holding out trying to get them to give up and die and they won't. We run an averge about $325 per month. Peak at around $500 in the summer and $400 in the winter. We are no good on water or gas as we don't pay either. Same $45 a quarter for trash.

Note that water is actually quite cheap in Las Vegas. One might even argue to cheap for the environ. I see Single Family Homes with $20 water bills all the time. You can get it to $150 but that takes a tropical garden.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:41 PM

59 posts, read 68,604 times
I'd look for a place that the landlord at least pays for the sewer and the trash. Utilities are pretty reasonable if you make an effort--my home is 1400 square feet (two adults), and I have an equal payment plan which amounts to $90 monthly power, $35 gas, $20 water, and $62 internet. Trash and sewer combined are $30 a month. Granted my AC in the summer is 82 in the day, 78 at night, but that's why Jesus invented ceiling fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas