Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 01:05 PM

24 posts, read 77,557 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My family and I will be moving to the Las Vegas area in 7 months, I was wondering if any locals could give me their opinion on whether Henderson or Summerlin would be a better match for a young family? I have 3 children, ages 14, 3, 1. I would like a community that is safe for my children to play in and has good schools. I hear Summerlin is very nice but Henderson has a lot of community activities for families. Any suggestions or advice?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 01:09 PM

6 posts, read 23,619 times
Default Henderson vs Summerlin

There are pluses to both sides of town. Something you need to ask is where are you going to be working and how long will it take you to get to work. Do you want a big yard? Henderson has some older homes that has nice lot sizes, where Summerlin with their newer homes many have small lots. Summerlin has a wonderful "HOMETOWN" feel to it with a lot of activities geared toward family. If you would like more information please feel free to contact me.
Chris Shouse
REAL SUMMERLIN

Old 12-14-2010, 01:08 AM

24 posts, read 77,557 times
Default Summerlin vs Henderson

Hi Chris,
I do want a bit of a yard 4,500+ sq ft of land would be good. Location based on work won't be too much of an issue for me because my husband has his own business so location will be based on quality of education for the kids and proximity to malls and other things to do. I may get a job after we get settled in, are there more office type work around Henderson or Summerlin? Or are they about the same?

Old 12-14-2010, 05:26 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Just curious...why Vegas?

Old 12-14-2010, 08:00 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
it's 65 degrees here today and you ask "Why Vegas"?

Old 12-14-2010, 08:06 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,265,296 times
Quote:
weather, Jobs (more jobs than my small town offers), cheap houses, entertainment, palm trees, shopping, no state income taxes, cool topagraphy, The Strip, Entertainment...I could go on and on. I moved from the Desert into a cold place and BOY do I miss those 70 degree days in December. I personally have chose to move to Henderson, as it is close to where I would like to work. Only 5 more months.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
it's 65 degrees here today and you ask "Why Vegas"?
LOL...you make 65 degrees sound like it's 90 degrees in South Beach. Did I ever tell you the time I left the Albany airport one January when it was 45 degrees...only to land in Las Vegas 5 hours later to 30 degree weather? And it never did warm up that week in LV. People complained that pools were freezing and pipes were bursting in their homes.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashima55 View Post
Hi everyone,

My family and I will be moving to the Las Vegas area in 7 months, I was wondering if any locals could give me their opinion on whether Henderson or Summerlin would be a better match for a young family? I have 3 children, ages 14, 3, 1. I would like a community that is safe for my children to play in and has good schools. I hear Summerlin is very nice but Henderson has a lot of community activities for families. Any suggestions or advice?

Thank you!
Just curious...why did you decide on Las Vegas?

Old 12-14-2010, 09:48 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,475,380 times
Quote:
Just curious...why did you decide on Las Vegas?
Who the heck would want to live anywhere else?

Old 12-14-2010, 09:56 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,475,380 times
Quote:
LOL...you make 65 degrees sound like it's 90 degrees in South Beach. Did I ever tell you the time I left the Albany airport one January when it was 45 degrees...only to land in Las Vegas 5 hours later to 30 degree weather? And it never did warm up that week in LV. People complained that pools were freezing and pipes were bursting in their homes.
Um yes, an anomoly, just like our once every few years "snowstorms"

But while you're hunkered down soon with cloudy days, snow and ice and rain, we'll still be here enjoying the relatively "mild" Southwest climate and bright golden sunshine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas