Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 07:24 PM

39 posts, read 55,876 times

Advertisements

I'm currently making my own list and would love to hear what others included in their pros/cons list when considering a move to Las Vegas.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 08:15 PM

2,850 posts, read 4,521,584 times
mine was pretty simple:

can i afford a house in my current location? no
can i afford a house in vegas? yes

am i close enough to family that i could return home quickly in an emergency situation? yes

can i live on the wages i'm seeing in the classifieds? i think so

my bags were quickly packed.....

Old 05-27-2014, 08:48 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Pros- weather, people, economy

Cons- weather, people, economy

Old 05-27-2014, 08:53 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Pros- weather, people, economy

Cons- weather, people, economy
Add culture to both sides and I am in complete agreement.

Basically, Las Vegas is the opening paragraph from A Tale of Two Cities:

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way - in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:57 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,559 times
Love the weather, love the newness, love the friendly people from all over the map, love the desert scenery, love the mountains and hiking trails, love the times I can stay somewhere nice on the strip and be in a theme park all weekend. I'd live there in a second if I weren't already in the vested salary brackets and generous pension programs in LA... not to mention the lifetime free health insurance if I retire in 20 years from LA schools. It's a pretty sweet deal.

Cons: Drivers. Y'all are reckless even compared to LA drivers. Also the drive to it on a Friday and the drive home on a Sunday if we don't clear out of Vegas just after the morning breakfast buffet.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:35 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
The biggest Con to me is the employment situation. Yes, there are jobs but they pay very little, have no benefits, and they are all part time. If you want to make a living you can get 2 jobs, work 60 hours a week, and still have no benefits or PTO.

There are a lot of Pros. It's like living at Disney Land. There is always something to do. The weather is great, no shoveling. We have desert, mountains, lakes. Plus we are an easy drive to several National Parks too. And the beach isn't that far either. We have everything here. I can go out for Ethiopian food if I want to. It's very international and the only discrimination I've ever seen has to do with money. Probably the best air service of any city this size in the whole country.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:44 PM

399 posts, read 693,999 times
Pro's: Main reason I moved here was I purchased a nice house in 2011 and with my down payment, my mortgage is only $421! Love the weather, the desert scenery, the entertainment options 24 hours a day, and the fact that you can easily fly to so many places.

Cons: The educational system is very poor, the tons of litter I see thrown out on the streets, and the drought that effects our water supply has no end in sight.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:48 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,376 times
Pros: blue skies, monsoon season, conveniences (everything feels new in this young city)& 24 hour town, no skeeters, star gazing, lack of humidity, no hurricanes, no earthquakes, reasonable drive to different topography, west coast vibe, diversity, libertarian values (ie. to each his own), major airport to any place your heart may desire.

Cons: highly car dependent, city overrun with hustlers trying to make a fast buck; either gambling, housing or just hustling whatever...ie. a woman had her teen daughter and a puppy on a frontage road with a sign. She looked like she was proud of it too! People have no problem begging here. Neighbors and friendships don't stick well here. It's as if people see living in Vegas as a dress rehearsal. People don't have respect for academia, thus Las Vegas isn't taken serious by the rest of the country.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:21 AM

66 posts, read 104,966 times
Pros: Those billion dollar hotels on the strip! They are out of this world in different themes and luxury! The endless buffet bars! Also, Vegas is one of the major location choices for anything happening in this country.

Cons: That summer heat!

Old 05-28-2014, 05:11 AM

104 posts, read 1,073,797 times
Pros: housing costs, gas prices (compared to CA), variety and abundance of good restaurants, shopping centers are pretty new, love the strip hotels - you can never say there's nowhere to go or nothing to do, easy access to the airport (where I live), most people I meet are friendly, better job opportunities here than the Bay Area (in my line of work), the weather is great 9 months out of the year, no bridges to cross meaning no tolls to pay, no state income tax, most places are accessible within 45 min of driving, better gun laws vs Kali, lots of happy hour deals, mani pedis cheaper than CA, lots of spa resorts to choose from, cheaper hair salons for same quality as Bay Area, quality and variety of entertainment options, local's deals (discounts) are pretty good, slightly lower sales tax, never have long waits at the chain restaurants compared to the Bay Area, cheap gas bill year round, don't have to bolt everything down in fears of a big earthquake

Cons: really aggressive drivers, 3 months of scorching hot weather, cockroaches and other bugs that come out in the summer, higher electricity bill in the summer, sometimes flooded streets in a downpour, it can get pretty windy sometimes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: