Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 03:02 PM

29 posts, read 62,509 times

Advertisements

Terrible. we have them next door too. We called the police while they were moving in. They told the police they have a lease. The person in charge of the house for the bank whom has not yet reposed it is totally in on it.
They have been here for 2 months. Having parties. The positive this in they brought the lawn back...it appears they will be here for a while....since they don't pay rent. The home in not in banks name yet....but the owners have long left the property abandoned... GRRRRR!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 08:38 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,563,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
Those lock boxes are not that difficult to get into. Sometimes these people use the same code for all their properties or they use some generic code. I've tried locks where I use 0000 and boom! it opens.
Yep! I know a realtor who uses that 000 because she can't remember her codes and doesn't travel with a notebook or it hasn't occurred to her to just keep a list in her phone. She can't be bothered with the hassle and doesn't think anything bad will ever happen.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:23 PM

398 posts, read 746,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
The problem is a lot of people fake being a landlord and gain access to an empty house, draft up a lease and sign a lease with an unsuspecting tenant. They might have a lease but it's not with the landlord or agent of landlord. All tenants should be using the recorder's website to find out who the owner of a rental is before giving any monies and asking for some ID to verify identity.

As for people who deliberately break into a house and squat, I have heard stories of people who's primary residence was stolen this way and it took weeks/months to evict the house thief.
Still.. I just don't understand how it can take weeks/months!! if I go on vacation to Hawaii and find people living in MY house and the police letting them stay there because of their fake, drafted "lease" before kicking them out, I would go in there to beat the living **** out of them, jail time or not for me. Omg squatting is the most absurd thing I've heard!!!!!!!!!!? And to know that they have rights, WTF?!?

Old 06-06-2014, 12:31 PM

15,839 posts, read 14,472,390 times
Remember OJ's in jail not for killing his wife, but for trying to steal his stuff pack from someone who stole (maybe borrowed and refused to return) from him. Whether or not the stuff was his or not was irrelevant. The fact that he tried to take it back by force is what mattered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Uni View Post
Still.. I just don't understand how it can take weeks/months!! if I go on vacation to Hawaii and find people living in MY house and the police letting them stay there because of their fake, drafted "lease" before kicking them out, I would go in there to beat the living **** out of them, jail time or not for me. Omg squatting is the most absurd thing I've heard!!!!!!!!!!? And to know that they have rights, WTF?!?

Old 06-06-2014, 03:57 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,012 times
1) Cut lock off of breaker panel, if any
2) Open panel, shut off main breaker
3) Close panel, put your own cut-resistant, shrouded padlock on the breaker panel
4) Repeat until squatters are gone

There's an easy way to defeat this, but I'm guessing many squatters will be too dumb to figure it out. If they do figure it out, you could always take the inside cover off and just take the main service breaker. I can think of dozens of other ways to make an abandoned house unlivable in the summer in Las Vegas.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:06 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,828,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
3) Close panel, put your own cut-resistant, shrouded padlock on the breaker panel

There's an easy way to defeat this, but I'm guessing many squatters will be too dumb to figure it out. If they do figure it out, you could always take the inside cover off and just take the main service breaker. I can think of dozens of other ways to make an abandoned house unlivable in the summer in Las Vegas.
Good advice as long as the squatters don't figure out who did it. I say pull the main breaker and new pad lock.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:34 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post

You might however get shot. And it might well be a good shoot. The kind of folk who squat are the kind to be armed and believe it is their god given right to shoot.

And failing that you might get your ass kicked and then get arrested.

If you wish to protect an abandoned next door property I would do it before anyone moves in...not after.

And thinking about it I may take some steps on a nearby house. I think that I will simply insulate the feed to the main breaker. That way nothing is obviously wrong but the power won't come on.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:34 PM

164 posts, read 260,545 times
if i came home to find someone in my home unlawfully i would tell them to leave immediately, if they refused i think i would be so terrified that i would shoot them dead on the spot.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:50 AM

15,839 posts, read 14,472,390 times
^
The people who do this are generally smart enough not to do this with actively occupied houses. There have been, and likely still are, enough abandoned houses in Clark County that they can find one to squat in. If they're low key about it, no one may know that they're a squatter for months.

Does NV have adverse possession laws. In NY, if you squat in a property long enough, and no one acts to evict you, you can end up owning the place.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:58 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,234 times
If someone did this to me they'd never seen seen or heard from again. They'd be buried out in the desert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas