Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 08:11 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,000,203 times

Advertisements

There has been a Navy Federal Credit Union every place I have ever lived. It isn't just the best bank in town, it is the best bank BY FAR. That's who you should bank with if you can. (Retired Marine dad means you can.)

The only thing Navy Federal can't help you with is foreign banking, and that isn't an issue for most people. (And if it is, you can open an account with BoA or Barclays or whatever floats your boat.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 10:33 AM

561 posts, read 681,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
There has been a Navy Federal Credit Union every place I have ever lived. It isn't just the best bank in town, it is the best bank BY FAR. That's who you should bank with if you can. (Retired Marine dad means you can.)

The only thing Navy Federal can't help you with is foreign banking, and that isn't an issue for most people. (And if it is, you can open an account with BoA or Barclays or whatever floats your boat.)
I'm curious how NFCU stacks up against USAA, which is also available to families of service members. While the number of brick-and-mortar USAA locations is small, they have a number of things in place to make banking as painless as possible (refunds for non-USAA ATM fees, depositing checks by using a scanner, a phone, or a local UPS store, no foreign exchange fees for withdrawing currency at foreign ATMS or making purchases out of the country, etc.)

Old 10-14-2014, 03:11 PM

2,851 posts, read 4,525,026 times
i belonged to one nevada cu for the last 9 yrs i've lived here - i just recently left them. their fees are what drove me away. cu are supposed to be fee free for the most part. they now want to charge you to just have an account with them, doesn't matter how much $ you have in it or if you have your paychecks direct deposited. the only way this fee is waived is if you use your debit card more than 15x per month. & then they charge you to speak with a teller more than 3x per month.

this account was not my primary account, so using my debit card that much just plain ol' wasn't gonna happen. i was sad to leave them but they fee'd me to death

Old 10-15-2014, 02:00 PM

526 posts, read 833,217 times
I belong to America First CU. I use them in case I need some cash, but my primary bank is ALLY.
Ally is an online bank with all the amenities free and interest rate of .9% in standard savings accounts,
I haven't written a check in 5 years. I pay all my bills thru their bill pay system.

ALLY ONLINE BANK

Old 10-15-2014, 08:51 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,966,310 times
Tartan I also at one time used an out of state bank but changed my mind when my debit card was hacked they shut my card down. If that was my only account it would have been a problem. So I went back to local brick and mortar. Fees to me is kind of like a insurance premium if charged.

When a issue comes up its good to be able to go and talk to a person.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:46 AM

654 posts, read 1,251,016 times
Can someone tell me how a CU is better than a bank?

I have Chase and get my checking for free, free savings account, free bill pay...

So how is it that a CU in Las Vegas is better...if better I would join!

Old 10-16-2014, 06:52 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,580,400 times
Not all CU's are great, just like not all banks are bad. But the way CU's are financially setup (member owned, tax exempt etc) allows them to generally offer better rates on loans and pay better interest on deposits. Not all do, but they can more easily. This is why it pays to shop around.

My strategy is to get a good ACH hub (Ally or Alliant are awesome) then find financial institutions (banks or CU's) that offer one or two excellent services (most have one stellar thing they offer at a loss or near loss to attract people who only want one FI). Then use them just for THAT service. The hub allows easy and free transferring of funds when it is advantageous.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:34 AM

461 posts, read 667,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVAllen View Post
I'm curious how NFCU stacks up against USAA, which is also available to families of service members. While the number of brick-and-mortar USAA locations is small, they have a number of things in place to make banking as painless as possible (refunds for non-USAA ATM fees, depositing checks by using a scanner, a phone, or a local UPS store, no foreign exchange fees for withdrawing currency at foreign ATMS or making purchases out of the country, etc.)
I belong to USAA & NFCU. USAA customer service can't be beat and worked great for us when we were stationed in Europe. Our insurance -- auto, renter's, home -- is through USAA. We finance everything through USAA. I have never found a rate that can beat them.

I use Navy Fed as a brick & mortar bank -- just cuz and every now then they have a membership promotion that gives you $50 if friends & family sign up under your membership number

Old 10-18-2014, 08:49 PM

67 posts, read 103,138 times
Thank you everyone for your feedback . Going in with dad Tuesday & looking at Navy Federal!!

Old 10-19-2014, 05:06 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,126,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
No, it hasn't changed, but with all of the above mentioned CU's the affiliation is living in Clark or Nye county.
Really? I thought CCCU only accepted healthcare or county employees and their families. They asked me about my healthcare job a couple of years ago when I told Wells Fargo to stuff it, and went the cu route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: