Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2014, 01:43 PM

4 posts, read 12,725 times

Advertisements

We'd be moving there alone. We have already visited Las Vegas as tourists, but are wondering if it's worth the move. What are the pros and cons? We are planning to move by Nov 2015. I will be 19 and she will be 20. She is originally from New Jersey and I'm from Manhattan.

We just want a fresh start. So far, the prices look amazing which is what we're mostly excited about. However, everyone stereotypes LV as a strictly partying place. I guess I'm wondering is it more than just a shallow town? Can someone really settle down here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 04:02 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnotizedeyez View Post
We'd be moving there alone. We have already visited Las Vegas as tourists, but are wondering if it's worth the move. What are the pros and cons? We are planning to move by Nov 2015. I will be 19 and she will be 20. She is originally from New Jersey and I'm from Manhattan.

We just want a fresh start. So far, the prices look amazing which is what we're mostly excited about. However, everyone stereotypes LV as a strictly partying place. I guess I'm wondering is it more than just a shallow town? Can someone really settle down here?

No they can't. Just ask the 2 million residents.

You might have a few problems at first due to your age though. You have to be 21 for almost anything. If you don't drink or gamble, and are into doing outdoors things, then you'll love it. But, don't believe the Hollywood version of Las Vegas any more than we should believe the Hollywood versions of Manhattan. Other than the Resort Corridors of the Strip, and Downtown, it is mostly a normal town like any other desert community in the Southwest.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:13 PM

4 posts, read 12,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
[/color]No they can't. Just ask the 2 million residents.

You might have a few problems at first due to your age though. You have to be 21 for almost anything. If you don't drink or gamble, and are into doing outdoors things, then you'll love it. But, don't believe the Hollywood version of Las Vegas any more than we should believe the Hollywood versions of Manhattan. Other than the Resort Corridors of the Strip, and Downtown, it is mostly a normal town like any other desert community in the Southwest.
Can I ask why you say people can't settle down in Vegas? I'm confused

Thank you for commenting though. We honestly just want a fresh start and feel like this may be a good place for us. We are very much into doing outdoorsy things and drinking isn't something we're really interested in. My cousin does have a bar tending license though so she hopes to find a job in that area.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:14 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,903 times
Quote:

You seem to have a focus on housing opportunity... so I would say yes, make the move because you could have a mansion here for what an average house in NY/NJ costs.

Major tax benefits while living here.

Work is hard to get ahead of time while out of state... so you would most likely have to set aside some cash to float on while you look for work once you are living here.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:15 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,903 times
Quote:

Thank you for commenting though. We honestly just want a fresh start and feel like this may be a good place for us. We are very much into doing outdoorsy things and drinking isn't something we're really interested in. My cousin does have a bar tending license though so she hopes to find a job in that area.
He was just messing with you... by saying that two million people have done what you were asking about - settling down here.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:17 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,673,031 times
Quote:

What kind of jobs are you hoping to get? The most amazing prices won't help unless you have a some source of income.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:05 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:

I was trying to be funny. If 2 million people have "settled down" here ( My family and I have been here for 50 years) then I don't understand anyone asking a question like that.

No matter what brought them here, you'll find that being within a reasonable drive of the most fascinating places in the country is the real reason people like living here so much. It won't be long before you get used to wide open spaces and distance won't mean much to you when you want to go see a place, such as some of the most beautiful National Parks on earth. Southern California is a hop, skip, and a jump away. Want to do Disneyland as a day trip? No problem (although you'd probably want to do it in a weekend.) Want to go hiking in the mountains? Drive about 40-45 minutes up the hill and the hikes are world class. Or drive 20-30 minutes to Red Rock Canyon and see why the scenery, rock climbing, and hiking draws people from all over the world. Want to see 900 year old petroglyphs (Indian rock art)? You'll find a little at Red Rock Canyon just outside of town, but north about an hour from here is The Valley of Fire which is covered with the stuff; or south of here is a little canyon where it will blow you away.

Mountain biking your thing? This is a great place for it year round. Would you like to water ski or snow ski? You can do both, plus play a round of golf, in the same day in Las Vegas. You can Google all the things to do here. It just goes on and on. And as I said, that, and our libertarian lifestyle is what brings people here. Of course, entertainment is the main industry, so there's that too whenever you want it, 24/7.

I've lived in my home state of West Virginia, a few summers in Ohio, twice in Florida, once in Texas, once in New Mexico, and up north in Reno; there just isn't a better place to live in the U.S.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:49 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
[/color]No they can't. Just ask the 2 million residents.

The only drawback I see is exactly what Buzz brought out. Your ages are going to make it difficult to get work. Other than that, it is a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: