Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 06:24 AM

104 posts, read 1,073,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxro View Post

I've found this at Whole Foods and Safeway. But you guys don't have Safeway do you? Usually it's kept with the fine cheeses, and not the regular preserves.
I had tried the original fig spread on a cheese night at Whole Foods - either at Town's Square or Green Valley. Good stuff especially with Brie on a cracker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 02:26 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Albertsons has a bunch of this.
Hallelujah! Thank You!!! Road trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
I've gotta ask... What exactly is figgy pork? It sounds really good!
Edit: Mrs. Tek serves this over rice.

First, this is from a cookbook and he calls it Fig Pork Tenderloin

Justin Wilson's Homegrown Louisiana Cookin'

2 lbs pork tenderloin (The original calls for 5 lbs)
Salt to taste
Ground cayenne pepper to taste
1 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 cup chopped mushrooms
2 cups fig preserves
1/2 cup dry white wine

Brown all sides of pork loin. Place in middle of flat baking dish. Sprinkle the onions, garlic, and mushrooms around the meat (in the baking dish not on the meat). Spread the fig preserves over the top of the meat until it is completely covered. (Some wait until it's cooked for 20 minutes before putting the fig preserves on). Pour the wine around the meat (In the dish not over the meat), cover and bake until done (2-3 hours)

Mrs. Tek uses 1 medium onion and 8 ounces of mushrooms instead of what the recipe calls for.

And the "in the dish" comments are mine. Not being a cook just saying "around the meat" is not telling me what I need to know. Mrs. Tek says cooks will know, but...

Enjoy. This is some seriously yummy food.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 12-21-2014 at 03:01 PM..

Old 12-21-2014, 02:28 PM

BTW. you ever notice how many jam, jelly, and preserve companies use the checkered tablecloth pattern for their lids?

Old 12-21-2014, 06:03 PM

555 posts, read 595,695 times
Oh myyyyyy, that sounds incredible!!

I was going to do a pork tenderloin for Christmas eve dinner, but the BF talked me into making a turkey dinner (I didn't do one for Thanksgiving since I worked and Christmas day is at a friend's house and they're doing a beef roast). Wish I had stuck with the pork tenderloin now! I'm printing this out for another time!!

Old 12-22-2014, 10:27 AM

So yesterday I was looking for the recipe for figgy pork I was going through a lot of folders, recipe boxes, etc. And I kept seeing these recipes for things I love. Iowa Ham balls, Muenster chicken, and some others.

I need to browse through those more often.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:23 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Okay, that figgy pork sounds good ! I'm saving that one.

We have a Recipe forum here too, TF! You could share those treasures there, too.... the Muenster Chicken sounds good to me, too!

Old 12-22-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Okay, that figgy pork sounds good ! I'm saving that one.

We have a Recipe forum here too, TF! You could share those treasures there, too.... the Muenster Chicken sounds good to me, too!
Had no clue. I shall visit when I have more time.

Thanks.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:02 PM

The recipe makes more than we can eat in a sitting or two, or three, so we freeze it and does so without problem.

And, yeah, that is really good stuff. One of my all time favorites.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Good luck with that. I'd call Whole Foods and hope. If you can get your hands on frozen figs, you can make the preserves in less than an hour. It's just figs, lemon juice, pectin, sugar and a little cinnamon.

I didn't see any in the UK aisle of International Marketplace on Decatur last time I was there. But I wasn't looking for it, either. (You can call, but it's REALLY hard to get someone who speaks English well enough to relay "Do you stock fig preserves" and get a straight answer.)

I'm somewhat in the same boat. I'd like to do roast goose, yorkshire pudding, and potatoes sauteed in goose fat. (Health! Health!) But I haven't yet found decent goose this year. I'll try WF tomorrow before work.

EDIT -- If you can find frozen figs, you are welcome to drop by my house on Monday or Tuesday and we will whip up a batch of preserves using my equipment. I have a food mill, which is nice to have when making this. The sad thing is, my mother in law has a fig tree that is larger than an African bull elephant. But that's a spring harvest. If I had known, I could have preserved some for you. It's really, really simple stuff.
I forgot to thank you for your offer. Mrs. Tek has had one of her famous migraines for the last few days. We missed a number of going outs that were planned.

**it happens.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:02 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,118,948 times
My only food challenge, not eating the whole thing in one sitting.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas