Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 07:22 PM

44 posts, read 52,568 times

Advertisements

Not really a Vegas question but here goes anyway.

So i have a pipe (I believe the garbage disposal pipe) coming from my condo (2nd floor) that has a leak behind the wall (lower floor) for a while which caused a hole in his ceiling and mold in the walls. There was no way to see the pipe. However, he never did anything about it until his place was flooded from a broken water heater which was a whole separate problem. He leaves his house for months at a time. The water damage control guys came in and spotted that hole and informed him of the leak. That's when they called me. I paid for the pipe to be fixed and to clear out the mold. Now he wants me to also fix for the surrounding damage. My home insurance will not pay for this because they say I am not negligible since I fixed the pipe right away and am not responsible for any other damages. He does NOT have home insurance. So, the owner downstairs says I should pay for it since it was my pipe that was leaking. Who pays for the surrounding damages downstairs? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 07:33 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Unfortunately you need a lawyer. This is a weird portion of the laws that deal with condos and particualry pipes which are owned by the common but used by particular sets of owners. Basically it is the problem of the particular owners...even though the condo association has a requirement they fix it....it is really not allowed for an owner to fix problems which lie in the common space.

Your Insurance company can take whatever position they wish as long as they defend you from any suit. They are not going to be enthusiastic about doing that. So you are likely to end up having to defend yourself and go after your insurance company to pay for it.

Note the issue is wild when you get down to him not noticing for a long time that you were damaging his property. He may well be liable for failure to inform you of the damage when he should have known of it. And all that gets litigated.

You need a lawyer.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:22 PM

There is a universal negligence law Ive read that states that I would only pay the damages if I neglected the broken pipe. However, I fixed it right away when I heard about it, therefore I would not be negligent to pay for the surrounding damages. Have you heard anything about this law?

Old 06-29-2015, 10:17 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,549,370 times
If it's considered a Limited Common Element(LCE) then it may not be your responsibility and the claim would be filed under the master plan's insurance policy.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:03 AM

15,827 posts, read 14,463,105 times
I would report this to your homeowner's policy carrier. They'll work it out between themselves, the building's carrier, and the carrier of the policy held by the guy downstairs.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:15 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiuey View Post
Not really a Vegas question but here goes anyway.

So i have a pipe (I believe the garbage disposal pipe) coming from my condo (2nd floor) that has a leak behind the wall (lower floor) for a while which caused a hole in his ceiling and mold in the walls. There was no way to see the pipe. However, he never did anything about it until his place was flooded from a broken water heater which was a whole separate problem. He leaves his house for months at a time. The water damage control guys came in and spotted that hole and informed him of the leak. That's when they called me. I paid for the pipe to be fixed and to clear out the mold. Now he wants me to also fix for the surrounding damage. My home insurance will not pay for this because they say I am not negligible since I fixed the pipe right away and am not responsible for any other damages. He does NOT have home insurance. So, the owner downstairs says I should pay for it since it was my pipe that was leaking. Who pays for the surrounding damages downstairs? thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I would report this to your homeowner's policy carrier. They'll work it out between themselves, the building's carrier, and the carrier of the policy held by the guy downstairs.
Negotiations may be more interesting.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:02 PM

^
Okay, I didn't notice that. But it makes it simpler. Don't pay. If anyone tries to sue him (the downstairs owner, the building), then get the insurance company involved. It would still be covered under his liability coverage. The insurance company would decide how to handle the case.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:15 PM

Yes he does not have insurance and that is the big problem; that's why he wants me to pay but I don't feel like Im obligated to since I already fixed the pipe and mold. My insurance company said they would back me. I've asked for the cc&r from the HOA to see if there is anything that says I am responsible but no response yet. They did mention in some emails that I am responsible for my pipes and any surrounding damages. However, the pipe is on his side. So what if my pipe traveled 3 condos away and broke there...would I still be responsible for that?! He's been calling me and I'm not sure if I should call him back and defend my case, or just tell him I'm still looking into things. Anyway, I'll keep u guys updated. Thanks for the input so far.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:16 PM

247 posts, read 253,954 times
I flooded my neighbors place awhile back from a r.o system, I was in no way responsible for his house, that's why people have insurance, now if you want to pay his deductible to be nice then that's another thing but you don't owe him jack

Didn't see that he doesn't have ins.Oh well he's screwed

Last edited by Macklessdaddy; 06-30-2015 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: Spoke too soon

Old 06-30-2015, 02:46 PM

Either it's your liability or not. Whether or not he has insurance is not relevant to that. If the leak was caused by a pipe that burst inside the walls, likely this is the responsibility of the HOA/condo corporation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiuey View Post
Yes he does not have insurance and that is the big problem; that's why he wants me to pay but I don't feel like Im obligated to since I already fixed the pipe and mold. My insurance company said they would back me. I've asked for the cc&r from the HOA to see if there is anything that says I am responsible but no response yet. They did mention in some emails that I am responsible for my pipes and any surrounding damages. However, the pipe is on his side. So what if my pipe traveled 3 condos away and broke there...would I still be responsible for that?! He's been calling me and I'm not sure if I should call him back and defend my case, or just tell him I'm still looking into things. Anyway, I'll keep u guys updated. Thanks for the input so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas