Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 08:14 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,795,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xusafpilot View Post
Do people STILL have cable/satellite? If so, why? Most of the cable channels are nothing but commercials punctuated by awful programming. Ditched my three COX DVR's over three years ago. Now, it it is OTA and streaming. Cox like the rest is expensive but since ditching the video and telephone portion I am overall satisfied with their service.
The same reason you did up until 3 years ago. Because we want it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 08:33 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,163,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xusafpilot View Post
Do people STILL have cable/satellite? If so, why?
Two (2) channels: TFC (my wife) & TCM (me). Everything else is useless debris as far as I'm concerned.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:47 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,789,660 times
We ditched cable during the summer of 2012. It didn't work out because as soon as football season started cable was a luxury we chose to keep. Besides, we watched so much TV, our streaming charges were just as much as our prior cable bill meaning we normally went over our data package. On top of that we are mostly homebodies who don't spend a lot of money out in about. A couple times in the week the hubs would go to bar to watch the games, and that ended up costing a whole lot more than the cable bill.

I did discover binge watching though with Rescue Me. Loved that series.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:04 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,020,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
It could be worse, people. We could have Comcast.

I wish Google would drop some fiber here. We let you test your driverless cars here in Nevada, Google, help us out!

If you threaten Cox enough and bring up Century Links great new network, ( gag ) you might get what you want.
I actually wrote the Google fiber folks about bringing Google fiber here. Told them of the large fiber infrastructure already here and Switch and blah blah blah.

They said they will concentrate on the cities they have announced, and at some future date will announce new cities. I signed up for the email updates when they hopefully get to this area. We do need more competition.

I only have Cox for internet, but have played the game of threatening to cancel if they didn't lower it enough. I've payed around the mid 40's for the Preferred service since I've had them for over 3 years. And every time at the end of the promotional period it would jump up to some what I thought was a ridiculous price. So I would call and threaten to cancel and they would lower it back to 40 something.

Well this last time it jumped up to mid 60's! I was like oh !%$%#@ naw. I called and told them I need it back down to 40 something. They told me the lowest they could do was just shy of $54. I was like nope, cancel then. I was prepared to cancel and I did. It was to be turned off a few days later.

I looked at CenturyLink, called them, compared and they SUCK for internet! I knew that, but I didn't think it was THAT bad. I had to drag my butt back to cox and accept the offer. We need more competition!!

Last edited by timothyaw; 11-18-2015 at 12:28 PM..

Old 11-18-2015, 12:13 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,422,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
Well this last time it jumped up to mid 60's! I was like oh !%$%#@ naw. I called and told them I need it back down to 40 something. They told me the lowest they could do was just shy of $54. I was like nope, cancel then. I was prepared to cancel and I did. It was to be turned off a few days later.
I played that game with DirecTV a couple years ago. I wanted to see Season 6???? of Dexter on Showtime so I called to cancel in the hopes that I would get 3 months free Showtime. I got a full year of all the premium channels though (which worked out well because that also allowed me to see the last season of Dexter) plus NFL Sunday ticket + a bill reduction of $15/month. All I wanted was 3 months of Showtime but they just kept throwing deals at me.

When that all expired though I called them back the next year to threaten to cancel again and instead of being offered anything, my TV screen went blank and the guy on the other end of the phone said "OK, your service has been cancelled. Thanks for being a customer. You will get 2 boxes in the mail in a few days, please ship us our equipment back".

I was like "but but but but" and he hung up.

I just has my wife call back and we signed up for service under her name and got the "new customer" rate, so it worked out but yeah, if you are going to call and threaten to cancel, just know it kinda depends on the mood of the rep you get as to whether or not they will transfer you to customer retention.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:31 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,020,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
... just know it kinda depends on the mood of the rep you get as to whether or not they will transfer you to customer retention.
This was the Customer Retention department I was dealing with!

Old 11-18-2015, 12:32 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,035,569 times
Quote:
I played that game with DirecTV a couple years ago. I wanted to see Season 6???? of Dexter on Showtime so I called to cancel in the hopes that I would get 3 months free Showtime. I got a full year of all the premium channels though (which worked out well because that also allowed me to see the last season of Dexter) plus NFL Sunday ticket + a bill reduction of $15/month. All I wanted was 3 months of Showtime but they just kept throwing deals at me.

When that all expired though I called them back the next year to threaten to cancel again and instead of being offered anything, my TV screen went blank and the guy on the other end of the phone said "OK, your service has been cancelled. Thanks for being a customer. You will get 2 boxes in the mail in a few days, please ship us our equipment back".

I just has my wife call back and we signed up for service under her name and got the "new customer" rate, so it worked out but yeah, if you are going to call and threaten to cancel, just know it kinda depends on the mood of the rep you get as to whether or not they will transfer you to customer retention.
I had DirecTV for many years. The offer you get depends upon the CSR to whom you happen to speak. Your first experience was typical and your second experience was quite rare. Perhaps they have changed since being bought by ATT?

Old 11-18-2015, 01:05 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,856,803 times
Quote:

My parents tried doing that with Time Warner and it didn't work. (They don't live in Las Vegas, btw.) My dad said the Time Warner employee was . It appears that TW doesn't fall for that trick any more.

-Cheers.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:20 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,422,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I had DirecTV for many years. The offer you get depends upon the CSR to whom you happen to speak. Your first experience was typical and your second experience was quite rare. Perhaps they have changed since being bought by ATT?
My experience was 3 years ago for the first call and 2 years ago for the 2nd when they diconnected me. Well before ATT entered the picture. Perhaps the rep I talked to 2 years ago... maybe his dog died that morning or something... who knows?

Old 11-18-2015, 09:49 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,912,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
My parents tried doing that with Time Warner and it didn't work. (They don't live in Las Vegas, btw.) My dad said the Time Warner employee was . It appears that TW doesn't fall for that trick any more.

-Cheers.
Playing hardball sometimes doesn't pay. After TW raised my rates, I used the approach of "is there anything you can do for me?, I want to stay with TW" The guy was real nice and actually reduced my bill to less than it was before to the price hike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas