Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 08:36 AM

144 posts, read 406,744 times

Advertisements

Hey. I was hoping maybe you guys can help with some advice?

I'm currently living in LA. I've been to Las Vegas a few times before, and I like it, but my longest stays were 7 days at most and it was all just on the strip and Downtown LV. I'm moving now because I want to incorporate my online business there. I'm 26, single guy, and I work from home. I've read some other advice on these boards, and most recommend finding a place south of the strip, so I guess that's what I'll do.

I'm planning to go for a visit in a week or two, I'll stay there for maybe 5-7 days. I want to spend this time exploring things I haven't seen to make a better assessment for myself before moving. Where should I go, what places to visit, what things to do to get a better feel of "real" Las Vegas, find the best places where to rent for a year, etc.? Anything else I should do as a potentially new resident? My heart isn't 100% set on this move yet, but I'm hoping this trip will help me to decide.

I don't want to spend more than $1,200/month on rent my first year. Is there anything around this price range that's safe in the south of the strip area? Anything else I should think about? I've seen apartments and houses going for similar prices; I've never rented a house. Which option is more advisable? Any other advice?

Thanks for all the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 08:44 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,982 times
STAY OFF STRIP --- like palms, or rio, take the bus going THE OTHER WAY, look at what the normal part of town looks like!
TALK -- TO -- PEOPLE, the best way to learn is to talk to store clerks, home owners, shoppers.
Read the local paper, listen to the local radio, so you know what life is like OUTSIDE of the strip

Then you can make a better choice if Las vegas is for you.

Jonathan

Old 11-24-2015, 08:45 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,982 times
PS: you will be here during Cowboy Christmas, Ignore all the black hats
we DO NOT dress like that

Jonathan

Old 11-24-2015, 10:29 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
I agree with macgeek. Stay off the Strip. I'd go a step further and stay out of the resorts entirely. I'd rent a house for a week using homeaway or similar -- and then live the way you normally do. Just do so in Las Vegas instead.

Pick a few neighborhoods which might work for you, and visit them. If they're gated, you'll likely need a real estate agent in tow. (Or look for open houses and call the listing agent for the gate code.)

Also, don't stress out about being close to the Strip. Many people get sick of the Strip shortly after moving here. The Strip has the worst prices for food and drinks, the worst odds, and is designed to suck money away from tourists. That's its sole purpose. The valley itself is shaped like a giant lopsided bowl. The best areas are around the rim of that bowl. That's where I'd look.

Traffic here is non-existent compared to Los Angeles. So it really doesn't matter where you live. I live at the extreme edge of the city, and I can be at the Strip in 25 minutes, and anywhere in the valley in less than 40 minutes.

And I also agree with the idea of talking to people. I made the mistake of mostly talking to my in-laws when I did my "scouting mission" prior to moving here. It wouldn't have affected my decision to move here. But at least I would have been prepared for the frustration of living in this city.

PS -- I cannot stress strongly enough that if you're going to work with a real estate agent, you pick the agent. Don't let the agent pick you. There are lots of them on this forum, circling like buzzards looking for posts like this.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:58 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,146,969 times
Pick out several potential addresses to live at. Visit each of them during different times of day, ride around in an ever increasing circle with your windows down and see and hear where you plan to live. Visit a couple of business establishments and start a conversation about living in that area.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:10 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,909,336 times
1) come with a friend who can drive
2) get a map
3) drive around and make notes on the map of your personal observations, and what you learn from other sources. This will help keep your thoughts organized as to what neighborhoods you do or don't like, locations of markets etc.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:18 PM

103 posts, read 120,117 times
Why are you only going to look south of the strip. The northwest is really nice too!

Old 11-24-2015, 11:53 PM

553 posts, read 1,208,752 times
I agree with the advice. Do not make your visit Strip-centric. Not sure what "south of the Strip" means to you. There are some decent apartments on Ls Vegas Blvd as you head south, but those don't seem like established neighborhood areas to me. I'd look for place to stay in or near Green Valley Ranch, Summerlin, Centennial Hills, Aliante, Spring Valley, or Silverado Ranch are all nice neighborhoods with non-resort hotels to stay at during your visit. There are other areas worth checking out and staying in, but this list gives you some ideas.

Definitely plan on driving around the Valley. The more you explore, the better you will get to know the area. Consider what kind of daily activities are important to you and what each neighborhood has to offer in terms of providing you with what you like. Do you prefer grocery shopping at a place like Whole Foods or Food For Less or something in between? Do you eat out a lot or dine in? Does your neighborhood have the food supply places you like near the apartment you like? How about nightlife? If you enjoy going to bars, Las Vegas has go-zillions of them. Be sure to check them out to see where you are comfortable. How about religion? If you attend services regularly, visit a place of worship to see how comfortable you are there. And wherever you are, talk talk talk to the people around you. Las Vegas has a lot to offer people who enjoy nature and parks. If that's your thing, choose an area close to a park you think you will enjoy. How will you know? Go sample them. When you need to shop retail, where do you like to shop; mom and pop stores; big box stores; shopping malls? Las Vegas has them all. Make sure the neighborhood you choose has what you like nearby. Notice, none of this information is as easy to gather from the Strip as it is if you stay in a neighborhood.

Las Vegas is a pretty friendly place. Interview your prospective neighbors. You might meet some nice folks that way, and you are sure to get a better feel for the difference between living in say, Centennial Hills and Spring Valley. Enjoy your visit, and keep using this forum. When I moved here 6 years ago, this forum was an invaluable resource.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:21 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco6163 View Post
If you enjoy going to bars, Las Vegas has go-zillions of them.
All of which revolve around video-poker, alcoholism, and nicotine addiction. I have yet to find a proper pub in this hellhole. I doubt I will. First we'd need a decent clientele.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:19 PM

526 posts, read 832,866 times
Goto grocery stores. Talk with workers they will tell you how it is to live in their area.
That is where I got my best information before deciding to move in NW Centennial Hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas