Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 07:16 PM

26 posts, read 26,124 times

Advertisements

A neighbor at my luxury apartment drives a diesel pickup truck, which he presumably uses for work. It's extremely obnoxious, but initially, it was typically less than 60 seconds of noise and vibration per instance of departure or arrival.

With the onset of cooler weather, he began using a remote starter. His current routine is to activate the engine, which idles (loudly) for exactly 12 minutes and shuts off. After a brief (10 to 20 seconds) intermission, the engine re-activates, continuing until he finally steps outside and drives away.

This morning for example, he idled for 12+8 minutes, drove away for 10 minutes, returned and idled for 15 minutes, before driving away again. The truck idled for 35 minutes total within a 45-minute span. Then, he returned an hour later and idled for 10 minutes until the next departure.

If he expects to be home for more than 20 minutes, he actually will shut off the engine, but then the subsequent departure reverts to the basic routine of 12 minutes plus.

Nevada law limits idling to 15 "consecutive" minutes. He regularly idles for about 20 minutes, but with a brief pause in the middle. Is he in violation? Do I have any chance of forcing him to park off-premises? I assume my complaint options are either the apartment manager or law enforcement. I can provide video recordings as needed.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 07:22 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Strange thing.... Idling doesn't help a diesel much. I drove them for decades. Have no idea what he is accomplishing by doing this other than to waste fuel. Maybe you could print out some articles to this effect and leave them on his truck?

Old 01-06-2016, 07:23 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times
Is it at odd hours? Like 3am or is it like 10am?

I am inclined to say if it's not keeping everyone awake, stop being whiny.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:02 PM

26 posts, read 26,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Is it at odd hours? Like 3am or is it like 10am?

I am inclined to say if it's not keeping everyone awake, stop being whiny.
Generally no, he's typically home between midnight and 6am.

Thanks for the feedback

Old 01-06-2016, 11:25 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
I can't stand waste.

But you don't have a case. What you need is better insulation. You shouldn't be hearing an idling truck in the first place.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:46 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,589,241 times
Although usually these laws are for public right of way, you might ask the PD if it can be applied to your situation. Police don't like vehicles idling as often they break out the window and steal the car. On the other hand, good luck getting the Police to respond to what is more or less a neighbor dispute.

NRS 484B.530  Unattended motor vehicle: Stopping engine, locking ignition and removing key.  The person driving or in charge of any motor vehicle, except a commercial vehicle loading or unloading goods shall not permit it to stand unattended without first stopping the engine, locking the ignition and removing the key.
(Added to NRS by 1969, 1502)—(Substituted in revision for NRS 484.445)

Old 01-06-2016, 11:53 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
No need to quote statute.

You can't shoot fireworks off, either. But that doesn't stop anyone in July and January. There's "the law" and then there's "the enforceable law."

A remote-start truck is the former, not the latter.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:02 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,589,241 times
Next thing you know he will be "Rollin Coal" as he leaves....

Last edited by Packrat1; 01-07-2016 at 12:24 AM.. Reason: Edit

Old 01-07-2016, 12:38 AM

145 posts, read 147,313 times
I can see idling a diesel or gas vehicle for just a few minutes if parked outside on a cold morning. The engine oil gets circulated before a load is applied to the engine. A cold start and just taking off balls to the wall is never good. Most newer vehicle manufacturers say about three minutes is enough. Let's the engine temp come up a little bit. I'm from MN so in the winter vehicles not in a garage were idled for longer periods. Diesels in those colder temps could possibly have problems with the fuel gelling, but there are additives for that. Plus if it was that cold, plugging them in over night was the thing to do. (Engine block heater)

If a turbo diesel has been under boost, ran hard pulling, etc. Lots of guys will let them idle for a few minutes before shutting them off to let the turbo cool down because they get extremely hot. But if a person was just driving around town there isn't any need for it.

Personally in the climate here I don't see one reason for his truck to be idling that much. No matter what he thinks, it's not that cold and he won't have any problems related to the weather. Maybe suggest he plug it in if he is worried. That way you don't come off as a bad guy and it's a simple solution. Otherwise I would ask him what the h@&$ he's idling it so much for?! Lol

Old 01-07-2016, 04:12 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
If it's a constant thing and impacting your life, yes, you have a complaint. You are not being whiny. Constant repetitive noise can drive people nuts. Say something to the apartment manager. See if it can remain anonymous. You don't want the idling guy making it worse for you. If it keeps happening, sometimes the best thing to do is to move to a different location or a different apartment within the complex where you live. Many places let you do this. It could help a lot in peace of mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas