Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 07:51 PM

378 posts, read 332,470 times

Advertisements

It's the biggest source of pollution - both air and noise - in the Valley.
It's a perfect storm opportunity for terrorists.
It's overdue and begging for 'a big one'.
It's holding up what could be billions in new development.
It's nearing capacity.
Best of all, we've got a replacement site, bought and paid, for just 30 miles and 10 minutes away (by high speed rail).
I say that relocating McCarran should be a top priority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 08:01 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
I sort of agree, but for different reasons. But it isn't going to happen.

And even if there was enough support to come up with the $XX,000,000,000 to pay for it it would be a 10+ year project.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:27 PM

378 posts, read 332,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I sort of agree, but for different reasons. But it isn't going to happen.
And even if there was enough support to come up with the $XX,000,000,000 to pay for it it would be a 10+ year project.
It will happen, because
Money. What do you think the existing site would be worth on the open market? Billions more than it will cost for the new one. Money talks, bullspit flies (out of McCarran).
Capacity. Airports have a finite capacity, which McCarran is rapidly approaching.
Time. OK, say it is a 10-plus year project. That means if we start now, we can have a new airport 5 years after the old one will have run out of capacity. And 6 years after a jumbo jet takes out the new stadium some people foolishly built at the end of a runway.
Oh, right. Someone here is bound to tell us that the taxi companies will never let it happen. Except that with a trip now running 35 miles, you have a chance to make a lot more money than the piddly 5 miles of the trip now. No one loses.
Win-win-win-win.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:29 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
"No" to your original question.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:15 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
Bruff might be right about the capacity thing. I rode The High Roller 3 weeks ago on a Sunday night. What stuck me most, as I approached the peak, was that there were two separate flight paths that planes were using to land...and it was plane after plane after plane, for as far as the eye could see. And this was a Sunday night at approximately 10pm! I work at a much smaller airport, and was stunned by the amount of air traffic in LV. I can just imagine what it must be like at peak travel times, and how capacity must be pushed to its limits. I imagine they would need a bigger airport (or secondary one) to handle the air traffic, if it keeps increasing.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:26 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Nothing will happen until plane crashes. Only then will Las Vegans realize that there's a reason why most decent cities keep their airport in the hinterlands.

This city isn't smart enough to act proactively.

And don't get me wrong -- I love the fact I can be at the airport from my front door in 15 minutes, and at the gate in 25. (I have a TSA "get out of lines" card.) But all it takes is one major malfunction.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:38 PM

1,063 posts, read 2,462,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Nothing will happen until plane crashes. Only then will Las Vegans realize that there's a reason why most decent cities keep their airport in the hinterlands.

This city isn't smart enough to act proactively.

And don't get me wrong -- I love the fact I can be at the airport from my front door in 15 minutes, and at the gate in 25. (I have a TSA "get out of lines" card.) But all it takes is one major malfunction.
Especially with the Wigner Effect...Fukushima, remember?

Old 03-29-2016, 09:47 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Now there is a really stupid idea. Well up into the brain dead class. Of all the things Las Vegas does not need to do closing McCarran has got to be number one by miles.

Even if we open an outlying Airport as McCarran reaches capacity we still need to keep the key flights to the inner airport.

This is so dumb it is really difficult to believe that any can be believe that such a stupid move makes any sense.

The issue is to integrate the airport further into the city and the strip. Get people through it and to their room in half an hour.

And, if and when we do get an outlying airport, we fly the people to McCarran to get them into the system.

And there are hundreds of acres to be developed before it would make any sense to think about McCarran...north strip will take care of the next 25 years.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:48 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,884,616 times
Haha sure it will. Someone will announce the plan, some public funding will be needed and 100,000 seniors will protest spending their tax dollars on something they don't really use. That would be so Vegas.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:51 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Haha sure it will. Someone will announce the plan, some public funding will be needed and 100,000 seniors will protest spending their tax dollars on something they don't really use. That would be so Vegas.
That is the domed stadium...which we do need. For the same reason we need McCarran...it feeds the factory that drives the local economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas