Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 10:49 PM

8 posts, read 10,021 times

Advertisements

RE : < I'm your customer, not your homey >

Admittedly, I am not from Las Vegas, nor even Nevada. I havent lived here very long. I realize this is "sin city" and appreciate that this town lacks propriety, decency and decorum. Believe me : I really DO get it.

Still and all: a local renegade branch of a major commercial banking chain that has locations in 40 states, has now adopted a "vegas-sy" approach to banking : which is to call the customer / patron by their first name at all times, irregardless of how often they come to the bank, or even if they LIKE it.

I say "renegade" because this is specificially outside the realms of this corporate chains' official policy ; which is to address both accountholders and visitors by "Mr/s" so-and-so unless expressly invited to do otherwise by the accountholder, or unless a particular accountholder has been coming there for a very long time and knows everyone there.

When I complained about the use of MY first name ( which isnt even the name I go by in real life, as my friends and family call me by a contraction of my middle name ) the response from management was that since this was Vegas and formality is not in vogue here, that is just their mode of operation.

A quick phone call to the chain's national headquarters proved otherwise and the situation is being internally dealt with. I am not sure what the end result will be for the branch that established its own "policy" without first consulting its own corporate office but I trust the matter will be resolved appropriately

To that end : I would like to find out how people in this area feel they should be addressed when they go by a bank for the express purpose of completing a transaction. Do you prefer to be addressed by your surname or given name ? Does it matter how long you have been going there ? Does it matter if its "your" branch or a random one you walked into ? Please include your age and what part of the country you are originally from. I really am curious as to the responses.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:17 PM

59 posts, read 68,588 times
I'm 33, from Chicago, live in Las Vegas and I suggest you take a nice, looong relaxing vacation.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:20 PM

This does not address my question. I'm not on here on vacation ! I ( unfortunately ) now stay in Vegas too.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:27 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
I'm from Washington state and I don't like being addressed by my first name either. I've always been aware of the fact that that's a tactic that's used when people want you to feel more comfortable with them in order to sell you something. Car dealers, for example. So when anyone who is a complete stranger to me calls me by my first name, my first thought is, "What do they want from me they know I don't want to give them?".

Old 04-27-2015, 11:40 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
OP appears up a little tighter than is warranted.

Relax. If they call me reasonably quickly they can call me anything they want.

Even sweetheart which I got the other day from a waitress.

We will all survive.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:45 PM

I'm not talking about the corner bar or some down-home diner. I'm speaking of a major commercial bank.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:47 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
Blame it on starbucks... they started it

Old 04-27-2015, 11:57 PM

yea, I know. " Grande- non-fat peppermint-caramel-infused-low-fat-mocha-frappucino for Bob ! "

Old 04-28-2015, 12:05 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
I'm just the opposite, I hate being addressed by my last name, and I am not a kid. Why are you so formal ? After all, you DO have two names and if someone calls you by your proper first name what is the harm?

You must be really very stiff to have taken your time to contact their home office about something that was so trivial. Lighten up, life is way too short to get your panties in a wad over dumb stuff.

Call me Don.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:11 AM

Dumb is in the eye of the beholder. an d if it bothers me its NOT dumb ~ you are the one who is dumb, Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas