Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 09:03 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times

Advertisements

I am in no way encouraging cycling on major streets that lack bike lanes. In this town that is basically excessive risk taking if reasonable alternatives are available like go over a block or two to a less traveled road. I'm not even a huge fan of DRIVING that stretch of Rainbow, but it's good to see officers out increasing awareness of these laws.

I wonder how much the ticket is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 09:29 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
According to the Road Warrior in the Las Vegas Review Journal, if no bike lane is available, you're entitled to ride your bike on any sidewalk legally. Pedestrians are instructed to share the sidewalk!

2X this has come up for discussion in the Road Warrior column in the past few years.

"I'm thinking of buying a bike and bicycling around town, but I'm scared to use the streets, is it legal to use the sidewalks?"

Road Warrior: Yes, its legal!

At night when I ride my bike, on the busier avenues, I use the sidewalks. And a number of pedestrians aren't aware of the rules, and will try to steer you away from riding on the sidewalks.

Sorry about that! Would you walk along the sidewalk on the street and put yourself at risk?

Old 05-20-2016, 01:36 PM

34 posts, read 35,044 times
Considering the likelihood and consequences of a bicycle/pedestrian accident versus bicycle/car accidents, cyclists should be mandated to use sidewalks if no bike lanes are available. I often notice cyclists obstructing traffic while the sidewalk is clear for a mile.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:40 PM

743 posts, read 968,579 times
Money grab at the expense of inconveniencing citizens via traffic jams and potential accidents (forcing them to stop in traffic completely if a car occupies the lane to their left). Meanwhile 500 drug deals went down successfully in the same time period.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:24 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,828,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardogfsu View Post
Money grab at the expense of inconveniencing citizens via traffic jams and potential accidents (forcing them to stop in traffic completely if a car occupies the lane to their left). Meanwhile 500 drug deals went down successfully in the same time period.
Anyway we can tax those drug deals?

Old 05-20-2016, 03:57 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamSelene View Post
I often notice cyclists obstructing traffic while the sidewalk is clear for a mile.

I've only ridden on bike trails out here, but in Florida I rode on the sidewalks. I was only harassed by cops once and it was because a place I was near had been broken into. They checked my shoes and pockets and let me go.

In the place where there were no sidewalks I rode against traffic. Screw not being able to see what is coming at me.

I had a friend get killed by a semi. He never saw it coming because he was riding with traffic.

Out here, I don't even feel safe walking on sidewalks. These people don't know how to drive at all.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:04 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamSelene View Post
Considering the likelihood and consequences of a bicycle/pedestrian accident versus bicycle/car accidents, cyclists should be mandated to use sidewalks if no bike lanes are available. I often notice cyclists obstructing traffic while the sidewalk is clear for a mile.
I think common sense goes farther than yet another traffic law.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:22 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,807,706 times
Bicycles should be banned on roads here... drivers are far too stupid for it to be safe, that will never change

Old 05-21-2016, 06:08 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
With the attitude of some car drivers, it's no wonder these operations gain so many moving violations.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:19 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,576,990 times
This goes for bicyclists and moped/scooters. I don't understand why they are allowed to be on roads they can't possibly maintain the posted speed limit. If I go less in my truck I can get a ticket for impeding traffic.

The law addresses this on freeways. They aren't allowed there because they can't maintain 55-70mph. Why are they allowed on streets that are 45mph when, at best, they can only do 25-30?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: