Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 07:11 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,341,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
T-Mobile and AT&T both share the same network in North America with a roaming agreement to share equipment. I get good service with T-Mobile for a the same dollar amount that Cricket, Boost, Metro PCS is currently offering and T-Mobile gave me a free subscription to the online MLB package this year.
Uhm... This isn't quite true. T-mobile and AT&T use the same type of radio... but not the same towers unless roaming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 07:35 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,724,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Uhm... This isn't quite true. T-mobile and AT&T use the same type of radio... but not the same towers unless roaming.
AT&T and T-Mobile have a internal roaming share tower space and equipment agreement. Some cell towers may be equipped with both carriers equipment but the whole system piggy backs off of each other.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
AT&T and T-Mobile have a internal roaming share tower space and equipment agreement. Some cell towers may be equipped with both carriers equipment but the whole system piggy backs off of each other.
In a roaming agreement yes, but not everywhere and not usually.

I've had AT&T and I've had T-mobile in the same areas and have experienced different dead zones on both carriers.

T-mobile will also roam on all kinds of towers, but generally if you're within their serviceable area, you will jump from one tower to the next of THEIR towers. Not AT&T unless you are not in a serviceable area.

T-mobile and AT&T also use entirely different LTE spectrum. 1900mhz vs 2100mhz. So it's not as easy as to say T-mobile's service will 100% be exactly like AT&T's, because that's simply not true.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
In a roaming agreement yes, but not everywhere and not usually.

I've had AT&T and I've had T-mobile in the same areas and have experienced different dead zones on both carriers.

T-mobile will also roam on all kinds of towers, but generally if you're within their serviceable area, you will jump from one tower to the next of THEIR towers. Not AT&T unless you are not in a serviceable area.

T-mobile and AT&T also use entirely different LTE spectrum. 1900mhz vs 2100mhz. So it's not as easy as to say T-mobile's service will 100% be exactly like AT&T's, because that's simply not true.

Your looking at this from the consumer side of things. The equipment can only provide so much bandwidth to support so many users in the coverage area. AT&T may lease out a % of that to T-Mobile and vice versus to allow for coverage in areas where their consumer demand is light and leasing is cheaper. Roaming occurs with the consumer when the demand for the % exceeds the agreed allotment per coverage area. The equipment can be programmed to broadcast on multi frequencies that both carriers use for data.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Your looking at this from the consumer side of things. The equipment can only provide so much bandwidth to support so many users in the coverage area. AT&T may lease out a % of that to T-Mobile and vice versus to allow for coverage in areas where their consumer demand is light and leasing is cheaper. Roaming occurs with the consumer when the demand for the % exceeds the agreed allotment per coverage area. The equipment can be programmed to broadcast on multi frequencies that both carriers use for data.
Theory vs reality my friend

AT&t might allow roaming on their towers, but 99% of the time, you will be on T-Mobile towers.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Theory vs reality my friend

AT&t might allow roaming on their towers, but 99% of the time, you will be on T-Mobile towers.
Entirely depends on the location. There is also cell tower owners that also own the equipment and lease it out to both carriers. Some towers will have both carriers equipment attached to it and they both share the tower lease expense or the owner will do separate billing and access.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:31 PM

120 posts, read 175,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas taco View Post
havent had a problem with tmobile
Your one of the very few. Our taxi meters communicate using T-Mobile business. It's taking three to ten times to log-on at the beginning of the shift. Communication has slowed taking ten to twenty minutes to receive a message. Something not so good is going on.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:46 PM

120 posts, read 175,512 times
Quote:
T-Mobile and AT&T both share the same network in North America with a roaming agreement to share equipment. I get good service with T-Mobile for a the same dollar amount that Cricket, Boost, Metro PCS is currently offering and T-Mobile gave me a free subscription to the online MLB package this year.
It depends who gets priority. If an AT&T customer needs the tower, the T-Mobil gets droped. Same way back when NexTel rented phones. The rentals got priority.

The bad news. On January 1, 2017, all taxicabs, limos, shuttles (collectively 15,000) will have smart meters/locators, so cell phones are going to be in a hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: