Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 03:05 PM

12 posts, read 13,176 times

Advertisements

Hello

I currently reside in Delaware and am looking to relocate and join LVMPD. I wanted to know if anyone had any pointers on becoming an officer. I've worked in the production field for 6 years and I don't have any police experience but I really want to become an officer and move my family to the desert. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 03:17 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,124,963 times
It's insanely difficult to get in from what I am told. I was working with a guy who's brother is a recruiter in Henderson.
He wasn't even able to get in.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't apply, but I wouldn't move out here before landing the job for sure.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:43 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,136,470 times
That's a six figure gig out here. It's like being a fireman. You almost need to have some juice in the department.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:52 PM

452 posts, read 337,136 times
Very hard to get in their fitness exam in dec. had about 1500 people just for that one hiring. They also had a few more this year with just as many people.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:38 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,679,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrsmon View Post
Hello

I currently reside in Delaware and am looking to relocate and join LVMPD. I wanted to know if anyone had any pointers on becoming an officer. I've worked in the production field for 6 years and I don't have any police experience but I really want to become an officer and move my family to the desert. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Just curious...why Las Vegas???

Old 07-25-2016, 07:09 PM

8,420 posts, read 4,585,492 times
You will have to go through nearly a year of varying levels of scrutiny. Written tests, psych tests, background checks, interviews with detectives, polygraph tests. This goes on forever. If you pass each level you will go on a waiting list that could take another year. THEN the actual physical tests and police academy. At any point you could be disqualified. If you pass everything up to this point you get to wait for an opening.

I know someone who is trying to get into FINGERPRINTING and is approaching the end of year one in the process (admin jobs and actual cops have a surprisingly similar track to follow) Thankfully she already has a good career.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:12 PM

Because my wife loves it! She had a thing for Phoenix a while ago and now she's into Vegas. We've visited 3x in 2 years. She wants to live on the west coast and I happen to enjoy it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Just curious...why Las Vegas???

Old 07-25-2016, 07:15 PM

Thanks for the info. I called a recruiter today who said they had about 350 positions open. I thought t would be fairly easy to get in if they need 350 officers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
You will have to go through nearly a year of varying levels of scrutiny. Written tests, psych tests, background checks, interviews with detectives, polygraph tests. This goes on forever. If you pass each level you will go on a waiting list that could take another year. THEN the actual physical tests and police academy. At any point you could be disqualified. If you pass everything up to this point you get to wait for an opening.

My girlfriend is trying to get into FINGERPRINTING and is approaching the end of year one in the process (admin jobs and actual cops have a surprisingly similar track to follow) Thankfully she already has a good career.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:19 PM

452 posts, read 337,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrsmon View Post
Thanks for the info. I called a recruiter today who said they had about 350 positions open. I thought t would be fairly easy to get in if they need 350 officers.
That means they have filled 50 spots since the start of the year. I would say they probably went through about 3000 people for those spots. But go for it you never know you might be who they are looking for. But be prepared to fly to Vegas about 3 times for test and interviews.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:28 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,303,392 times
From what I know, it is very difficult to get hired by metro. You can be the fittest person in the bunch, pass their fitness requirements, then flunk the interview. They are very very picky as to who they hire. I think you get one chance every 3 months to try again. Better luck as a correctional officer maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: