Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 07:07 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,810,336 times

Advertisements

So I ran this crappy pos device outside today and it wouldn't power up

Now none of the outlets outside work and there is no electric in either bathrooms

I only found one gfci in the downstairs bath, and not sure if it was tripped or not, can't find one anywhere else (outside or in the main bathroom)

Checked the fuse box, nothing was tripped

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 07:32 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,363,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
So I ran this crappy pos device outside today and it wouldn't power up

Now none of the outlets outside work and there is no electric in either bathrooms

I only found one gfci in the downstairs bath, and not sure if it was tripped or not, can't find one anywhere else (outside or in the main bathroom)

Checked the fuse box, nothing was tripped

Any ideas?
Virtually certainly a GFI. Hit the trip on the one in the main bath. Here it click? Hit the reset. Try it again. Any click? If not likiely a bad gfi.
Easy check with a voltmeter. open the gfi pull it out and check the input. Should be 115 volts. Then check the output. If no voltage at output bad gfi. If no voltage at input something wrong upstream from the gfi. That will get complicasted if you are not electrically aware.

If the one in the main bath is good start hunting for another likely in the garage. that is unlikely if the electric in the main bath is out.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:38 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,829,598 times
Look in the garage for the gfic. Sometimes fuses trip and it doesn't move the lever so manually trip any suspect fuses and reset. GFI last about 10 years and need to be replaced even if it acts OK.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:42 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,007,241 times
definitely check the garage.. my gfi in the garage controls a downstairs bathroom and the outlets outside

Old 05-31-2017, 07:46 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,876,042 times
all my outside plugs are wired to a GFCI in my garage.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
all my outside plugs are wired to a GFCI in my garage.
It would be unusual for the gfis to be daisy chained and the bathrooms lack power. That would first order indicate the lower bathroom gfi is gone. It could be something screwy but I would start checkinng that gfi.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:28 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,829,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
It would be unusual for the gfis to be daisy chained and the bathrooms lack power. That would first order indicate the lower bathroom gfi is gone. It could be something screwy but I would start checkinng that gfi.
A friend called me a few months ago and say that the lights in his bathroom were out and if I could help him figure it out since the GFCI in the bath was working. Seems that his GFCI in the garage was tripped. Problem solved

Old 05-31-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
A friend called me a few months ago and say that the lights in his bathroom were out and if I could help him figure it out since the GFCI in the bath was working. Seems that his GFCI in the garage was tripped. Problem solved
As I said very bad practice...but you would look for it only if the bath gfi appears to be working or lacking power in...

Any number of weird things occur in residential housing. So it could be but should not be.

And one can of course check out the garage for a gfi. Generally not hard to find.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:51 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,810,336 times
No gfi switch in main bathroom.

No outlets in garage, save for one that controls irrigation

I also went outside to the fuse box and reset everything there too

Old 05-31-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
No gfi switch in main bathroom.

No outlets in garage, save for one that controls irrigation

I also went outside to the fuse box and reset everything there too
"I only found one gfci in the downstairs bath,

Thqat is the main bath for this purpose. You want to determine if it is

a working

b. powered
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas