Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 01:00 PM

1,066 posts, read 892,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Since it is so easy to look up the death numbers.

How many people died jan-may 2019
How many people died jan-may 2020

You stated that there should be a statistically relevant difference in the number of deaths because of covid.

Maybe there is, but without numbers how can you say that? You can't. So post the 2019 vs 2020 death numbers.

I'm willing to bet that they're pretty close to the same.
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...ess_deaths.htm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...-undercounted/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 01:06 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
Not what I asked for.

I want solid real numbers of how many people TOTAL died in 2019 and 2020.

Old 06-18-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Not what I asked for.

I want solid real numbers of how many people TOTAL died in 2019 and 2020.
Do you not know how to use the quote button?

I provided what I said, deaths over normal. You can find the numbers you want to see, I’m not your personal google or personally responsible for informing you.

Old 06-18-2020, 02:19 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
God I wish critical thinking was a thing in America...

Old 06-18-2020, 02:30 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Yeah. George Carlin was right.

Old 06-18-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Don’t we all.

Old 06-18-2020, 03:31 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Great stuff, teaches people HOW to think rather than telling them what to think. Helps people look at a statement or argument and find logical fallacies and other mistakes of thinking. My favorite site for this info is here.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-18-2020, 03:39 PM

848 posts, read 648,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Here is a graph that shows the problem

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c....htm#dashboard
Accepting the data as it is, one should find it very interesting to note that excess deaths start to appear roughly about two weeks after most states started to lock down (i.e., the week ending March 28th) and appear to have peaked at the height of the lockdowns (i.e., the week ending April 18th). By the week ending June 6th when many lockdowns had been relaxed or ended, death rates look fairly typical. This would make a good argument for those who claimed that the spread of this virus was enhanced by locking people in their homes especially in densely populated areas such as New York and New Jersey. Perhaps, we ought to be more carefully scrutinizing how policy decisions by unelected public health bureaucrats impacted these fatality numbers instead of the virus itself.

Despite the mainstream media's relentless bashing of Sweden's approach to the virus, Nevada and other states would have been wise to follow their lead as it appears Sweden was able to reduce the reproduction rate of the virus below 1 while allowing many Swedes to develop immunity without simultaneously wrecking their economy and the lives of their citizens. See this June 17th article from CNBC for the latest:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/17/swed...ronavirus.html

Old 06-18-2020, 04:09 PM

1,086 posts, read 746,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Irish View Post
Accepting the data as it is, one should find it very interesting to note that excess deaths start to appear roughly about two weeks after most states started to lock down (i.e., the week ending March 28th) and appear to have peaked at the height of the lockdowns (i.e., the week ending April 18th). By the week ending June 6th when many lockdowns had been relaxed or ended, death rates look fairly typical. This would make a good argument for those who claimed that the spread of this virus was enhanced by locking people in their homes especially in densely populated areas such as New York and New Jersey. Perhaps, we ought to be more carefully scrutinizing how policy decisions by unelected public health bureaucrats impacted these fatality numbers instead of the virus itself.

Despite the mainstream media's relentless bashing of Sweden's approach to the virus, Nevada and other states would have been wise to follow their lead as it appears Sweden was able to reduce the reproduction rate of the virus below 1 while allowing many Swedes to develop immunity without simultaneously wrecking their economy and the lives of their citizens. See this June 17th article from CNBC for the latest:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/17/swed...ronavirus.html
I do think we need to pay close attention to Sweden so am glad you posted that article. It seems each day there is an article saying the opposite about Sweden and just about everything else Covid related. I am a proponent of fully opening with precautions. It's not rocket science. Wear masks (even though about half the articles say they don't matter), keep distance when you can, if you have symptoms stay home, if you are old/sick stay home, etc.... It's not that tough. Let people decide where to go and how much of harms way to put themselves in.

Old 06-18-2020, 04:32 PM

848 posts, read 648,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
I do think we need to pay close attention to Sweden so am glad you posted that article. It seems each day there is an article saying the opposite about Sweden and just about everything else Covid related. I am a proponent of fully opening with precautions. It's not rocket science. Wear masks (even though about half the articles say they don't matter), keep distance when you can, if you have symptoms stay home, if you are old/sick stay home, etc.... It's not that tough. Let people decide where to go and how much of harms way to put themselves in.
Thanks for the note, and I generally share your perspective. However, I think the cloth masks are not going to do much good. I posted a link to a New England Journal of Medicine article written by American physicians discussing this previously. In fact, I would like to see the public health people start asking those who test positive for COVID-19 if they were mask wearers. Based on what I have seen in public, it would not surprise me if people were infecting themselves given the number of times I have seen people grabbing the masks with their hands and touching their eyes, nose, and mouth. It's just speculation, but given all of the talk from public health officials about not touching our faces with unclean hands, it just strikes me as not wise to have something on your face which requires constant adjustment and collects germs. This is especially true for children. There also is no conclusive scientific evidence that cloth masks actually stop COVID-19 particles so the argument that a cloth mask protects others also does not have much merit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: