Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 1,704 times

Advertisements

Nice complex, but the areas to the north and east of this gated “island” are armpits. Like the old LVCC.

Anybody who’s lived there or stayed there, was crime/safety an issue for you? I’m guessing somewhat for anybody who may walk to the monorail or get around that immediate area. But not if you are just driving in and out?

Asking prices are high here, like anywhere right now. Some asking 2-3 times what they sold for a few years ago. But still not near the prices when new in ’08. Anybody have thoughts on values here compared to other high rises?

If Robinson’s All Net Resort & Arena actually gets built on the old Wet N Wild site, and an NBA team plays there, it might add value but also congestion, crime, traffic and noise. Not to mention construction for a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2023, 12:02 PM

7,747 posts, read 3,778,838 times
I have friends who live in a 35th floor penthouse across the street at Turnberry Place. They love the location. Yes, the surrounding area is sketchy - but they never go there for anything. For shopping they drive to nice neighborhoods.

Old 09-15-2023, 05:30 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,705,983 times
You couldn't pay me to live anywhere near The Strip. I owned a condo just off Michigan Ave in Chicago, I'd never do anything like that again for the reasons you stated: congestion, crime, traffic and noise, not to mention construction forever.

The location of the condo in Chicago I lived in was 100% better than the Las Vegas Strip. I had views of the Chicago Skyline and Lake Michigan. I could walk north, south, west or east (to Lake Michigan) and it was all beautiful. Try that off the Strip. It took forever to get anywhere by car due to traffic (Michigan Ave is very similar to Las Vegas Blvd). I got 8 mpg in a car rated to get 21 mpg, lol.

Be prepared to sit in traffic for long periods of time and hear sirens all night long if you live there. Welcome to the jungle.

Old 09-16-2023, 06:12 AM

261 posts, read 234,642 times
I have a unit at the Veer, 5 star strip view on 16th floor. At that level, you will not have much city noise. Everything has its tradeoffs.

Old 09-16-2023, 08:09 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,705,983 times
My condo in Chicago was on the 20th floor. I heard construction noise during the day and police and ambulance sirens all the time, very annoying at night when you're trying to sleep.

Old 09-20-2023, 09:21 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,500,216 times
Not sure if you’re looking to move there, but if so, I see plenty from rent. If possible, rent for a year and see if it is a good fit.

Old 09-27-2023, 10:27 AM

6,746 posts, read 3,361,971 times
Turnberry is not on the Strip, it's on Paradise. We've been there many times to visit friends and rarely have hit a lot of traffic. As for safety, inside the complex is fine. Not many places to shop nearby. It's the kind of lifestyle that you either love it or hate it.

Our friends love it there. It is nice, but not really for us.

Old 09-28-2023, 07:57 AM

228 posts, read 196,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Turnberry is not on the Strip, it's on Paradise. We've been there many times to visit friends and rarely have hit a lot of traffic. As for safety, inside the complex is fine. Not many places to shop nearby. It's the kind of lifestyle that you either love it or hate it.

Our friends love it there. It is nice, but not really for us.
Turnberry and the Martin are the two we are most interested in. We live in a 55+ near the VA. We picked this community as it was close to my spouse's work at the VA and we have 2 older dogs. I lived in a highrise in Barcelona and had 2 dogs and going to the park various times a day was a pain, but I was young.
Shopping would be top of our list, not for food, but for the essentials. I know the Walgreens and CVS on the Strip carry most items. While I liked to cook, those days are behind me, and ordering one plate and a salad/appetizer for two is doable. Mobility is not an issue, vision is.
Do you know if your friends are able to get grocery or food deliveries? We depend on Ubers when we go to the Smith Center or any show, and I'm grateful for their service. We are able to drive to the little Smiths and neighborhood Walmart a mile from us. We are very much homebodies, with the exception of shows.
We have lived in Vegas for 6 years and I can not see myself living anywhere else, but downsizing as we age is a must. We had to hire a yard Maint. co. to come once a month and I refuse to hire a housecleaning service.

Old 09-29-2023, 08:35 AM

6,746 posts, read 3,361,971 times
Chappy, there is a CVS on Paradise & Harmon just down the street from Turnberry so you don't have to go on the Strip. Turnberry also has (I think) at least two dog parks. There is the Stirling Club right there with a restaurant and night club, a small coffee shop, and other amenities. Can't speak to food/grocery deliveries, but I would imagine they have some kind of service for that. The main pool area is like a resort with a bar and food service and occasional live music. Parking is all underground.

I do know that the HOA fees run a little high there depending on what you get, but our friends say it's worth every penny. I would consider it when I get to that stage in life when it's time to downsize. It would be a nice luxurious place to live.

Old 10-01-2023, 06:51 AM

228 posts, read 196,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Chappy, there is a CVS on Paradise & Harmon just down the street from Turnberry so you don't have to go on the Strip. Turnberry also has (I think) at least two dog parks. There is the Stirling Club right there with a restaurant and night club, a small coffee shop, and other amenities. Can't speak to food/grocery deliveries, but I would imagine they have some kind of service for that. The main pool area is like a resort with a bar and food service and occasional live music. Parking is all underground.

I do know that the HOA fees run a little high there depending on what you get, but our friends say it's worth every penny. I would consider it when I get to that stage in life when it's time to downsize. It would be a nice luxurious place to live.
Thank you for the insight. Turnberry keeps drawing back. I know the HOA runs 6-900 on a lot of the Highrises, but I agree the amenities and location would be worth it. Ours is 240 a month, and everyone was hit with a 3,000 assessment this year to fix a sinking pool deck and lanai. I pay a yard Maint. company a hundred a month, so all those things add up.
My neighbors have a cleaning service that comes twice a month and that is something I do not want. 3/4 of our house we do not use, but it still has to be dusted and floors cleaned. I watched my neighbors in their 70s
packing up their house and getting rid of things, to move to London to be close to their daughter. I told my dearest, Let's get rid of those things now while we are in our early 60s and you will thank me later.
A good bed, good food, a good recliner, and a good show occasionally are all you need after 60. Now I just have to convince my dearest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas