Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 08:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,029 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Vegas next month. I am pretty set on DirecTV, so for internet, I was wondering what the consensus might be. I've searched for opinions on Clear, but there was nothing really definitive. Does anybody have experience with this, particularly in the Desert Shores area?

Otherwise, what is my best bet for a standalone service? Cox? DSL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 09:51 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,162,924 times
Cox for everything. If speed and dependability matters to you.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:17 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,368,438 times
Cox is tons faster, and you can bundle phone, cable TV, and internet and pay one bill each month.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:06 AM

2 posts, read 3,029 times
For TV, I was most concerned about Cox because it seems like it will cost about $20/month for each HD DVR lease. And even for an HD box it was over $10/month. Seems a bit excessive.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:12 AM

654 posts, read 1,323,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantf View Post
For TV, I was most concerned about Cox because it seems like it will cost about $20/month for each HD DVR lease. And even for an HD box it was over $10/month. Seems a bit excessive.
It is. I'd recommend using Tivo rather than their HD box or DVR, but I'm biased as I have an investment in using the Tivos (Tivo HD); I had to invest the money up-front ($300 each for lifetime service), but they have resale value with the lifetime service & I never have another monthly bill from Tivo (sold my old Tivos to pay for these when upgrading). My Tivos cost me about the equivalent of renting stuff from Cox for 2-2.5 years yet I've got something I could sell for about $700+ (for two) thanks to prepaid lifetime service; had I rented Cox's equipment, I would've spent close to $1000 since moving here (Nov '08) & had nothing to show for it. In general terms, my Tivos have paid for themselves compared to what Cox DVRs would have cost; everything from today forward is gravy, even if I never sell them.

The Tivo interface is so much more functional & I was able to upgrade them myself so I have about 160 HD hrs & 1400 SD hrs for recording - most cable DVRs can't be upgraded & fill up very quickly. I pay $1.99/mo to lease a cable card for each Tivo, which allows me to tune/control everything without the need for any cable company hardware - including close to 100 HD channels. I can watch a Tivo'd program while two new ones record (dual tuners). To me, the only advantage the cable HD box or DVR offers is on-demand video, which may be a big deal for you. It's not a big deal to me, as I can stream video through Netflix, Youtube, Blockbuster, Amazon, etc using the Tivo. There's so many more things I can do with the Tivo that I can't with the Cox DVR - stuff like xfer programs from one Tivo to another, download recordings to laptop for trips, schedule recordings from internet, control & view remotely on either my laptop or phone using a slingbox - all of which matters when I'm traveling. There are a lot of subtle things the Tivo does better as well. All that said, the Cox DVR is light years better than nothing if you don't want to invest in Tivo.

As others have mentioned, Cox seems to be about the only option for reliable, high-speed internet access. I know a few people who've had success with Clear, but also others who are in an area more problematic. Either way, Cox seems to be the best option if you want & are willing to pay for a higher speed (10Mbit+) connection.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:53 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,818,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Cox is tons faster, and you can bundle phone, cable TV, and internet and pay one bill each month.
Thats what I did. I'm pretty sure thats what most of their customers do.
I've only had it for 6 weeks, but it seems flawless thus far.
I like being able to call anybody in the US for free.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:31 AM

75 posts, read 138,108 times
delgadobb, do u know if u can use the tivo on direct tv. I would prefer that option.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:23 PM

654 posts, read 1,323,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlf View Post
delgadobb, do u know if u can use the tivo on direct tv. I would prefer that option.
Unfortunately, no. You could in the past but the way they now encode & transmit their signal requires you to use their receivers (proprietary). Similar story with Dish Network, although I don't think Tivo ever worked with Dish Network. I used to have Dish Network & their DVR; while it was certainly convenient, it was very buggy (frequently crashing) & the user interface was sorely lacking compared to Tivo. I think one of my Tivos froze & needed a reboot about a year & a half ago. I was shocked even that happened.

Nowadays, you pretty much need cable TV or Over The Air (Antenna) TV reception for Tivo. I plan on installing a large antenna in the future to supplement my service with Cox.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:36 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,368,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantf View Post
But then you have a DVR and don't have to pay extra for a Tivo.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:33 PM

901 posts, read 1,899,806 times
Anyone try the Prism TV (fiber optic)/internet/phone bundle option with CenturyLink? It's not available in all areas yet, but supposedly will be available in a lot more locations by the end of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas