Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 01:45 PM

95 posts, read 358,272 times

Advertisements

mod cut: name of company removed They are a local company in Las Vegas. We moved to Texas over 2 weeks. An associate from there company came out and took value of the house and poundage. He estimated at 8000 pounds but to be safe said he would send a 10000 pound truck. He also said he would move our car for a flat rate. We told him we were moving on Saturday so he wrote down the date on the contract. The day before our move we called to confirm and he said he would need to move it to Sunday and it was our fault that it wasnt scheduled. Now remember he wrote it down on the contract. Well we were not going to be there on Sunday. Finally after much push he said he would be there. Hours went by and nothing until 6:00PM. The guys who showed up did not know how to turn off the water to the fridge, turn off the gas to the dryer and had no idea where the stuff was going as well didnt even have any tools and had to use mine. Oh yeah he forgot to order the car towing package so my wife had to sell her car before she left. I also asked if he had insurance. He brought documentation and said he was insured up to $1,000,000

Finally about 1:00AM or so they finally finished.

When I called to get the weight, he told me it was 9000 pounds and it was going to cost me more. Even though he said we was going to get a 10000 pound truck and wrote on the contract flat rate. Cost me another $250.

So finally my stuff arrives and the guys who were there were really good and took there time. They begin to unload the truck and a display case with 3 tempered glass shelves were shattered. They bring my daughters crib upstairs and the entire bed is scratched. I went to look at all the pieces and the entire backside looks like it was dropped or slammed around and the slats fell right out of it. A $900 crib is now useless. My kitchen table has huge guages in it and they put a hole in the wall at my house in Vegas, which they say they are not responsible for.

2 weeks now and they tell me they only insure .60 per pound and I could have purchaed more insurance. Ummm...thats why I asked about his insurance in the first place but he never offered anything else and never told me about this .60 per pound BS. I call everyday and I either get give me a few days or he just seems to be on the phone or has just left the building.

I realize most moving companies are crap and there is plenty more I dont even want to list here. Stay far away from this company. At this point I am not sure whatelse I can do. I have called my insurance company and they cant help. My next step is to file a complaint with the BBB and the USDOT.

If anyone has any other advise that I can take please help.

Thanks.

Last edited by scirocco22; 07-08-2008 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: Naming the company is against our T.O.S. Pertaining to "Consumer Complaints." Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 02:45 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,103 times
OUCH!

I do all my moves myself because I hear about your story often.

Hope someone can help!

If you paid w/ a CC you have recourse...but read many companies won't take them because they KNOW you have a recourse.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:05 PM

95 posts, read 358,272 times
Thanks for the advice VegasGrace. I filled a dispute with my credit card company and they credited my account temporarily until the dispute is resolved. They have also sent the dispute to the moving company. They also helped me with whom to send a complaint to. For the future anyone having issues...contact the BBB.org as well as the attorney general.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:54 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
seriously, what is the BBB supposed to do, unless the moving company is part of the BBB?

It is funny when people think the BBB is a government agency...

Old 07-13-2008, 02:54 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
The BBB is a serious rating service with a stringent set of rules....the check has to clear the bank.....

Old 07-13-2008, 05:14 PM

697 posts, read 3,278,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy8s View Post
mod cut: name of company removed They are a local company in Las Vegas. We moved to Texas over 2 weeks. An associate from there company came out and took value of the house and poundage. He estimated at 8000 pounds but to be safe said he would send a 10000 pound truck. He also said he would move our car for a flat rate. We told him we were moving on Saturday so he wrote down the date on the contract. The day before our move we called to confirm and he said he would need to move it to Sunday and it was our fault that it wasnt scheduled. Now remember he wrote it down on the contract. Well we were not going to be there on Sunday. Finally after much push he said he would be there. Hours went by and nothing until 6:00PM. The guys who showed up did not know how to turn off the water to the fridge, turn off the gas to the dryer and had no idea where the stuff was going as well didnt even have any tools and had to use mine. Oh yeah he forgot to order the car towing package so my wife had to sell her car before she left. I also asked if he had insurance. He brought documentation and said he was insured up to $1,000,000

Finally about 1:00AM or so they finally finished.

When I called to get the weight, he told me it was 9000 pounds and it was going to cost me more. Even though he said we was going to get a 10000 pound truck and wrote on the contract flat rate. Cost me another $250.

So finally my stuff arrives and the guys who were there were really good and took there time. They begin to unload the truck and a display case with 3 tempered glass shelves were shattered. They bring my daughters crib upstairs and the entire bed is scratched. I went to look at all the pieces and the entire backside looks like it was dropped or slammed around and the slats fell right out of it. A $900 crib is now useless. My kitchen table has huge guages in it and they put a hole in the wall at my house in Vegas, which they say they are not responsible for.

2 weeks now and they tell me they only insure .60 per pound and I could have purchaed more insurance. Ummm...thats why I asked about his insurance in the first place but he never offered anything else and never told me about this .60 per pound BS. I call everyday and I either get give me a few days or he just seems to be on the phone or has just left the building.

I realize most moving companies are crap and there is plenty more I dont even want to list here. Stay far away from this company. At this point I am not sure whatelse I can do. I have called my insurance company and they cant help. My next step is to file a complaint with the BBB and the USDOT.

If anyone has any other advise that I can take please help.

Thanks.
It was an inter-state move correct? My dad is a USDOT investigator with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and is always looking for fun inspections. Moving companies are some of his favorite. Send me the company's name in a PM. It won't do much as far as getting your stuff replaced but at least they could fine this company for any and all USDOT violations. I can guarantee that there are many. Most moving companies do not follow the rules.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:40 PM

15 posts, read 42,778 times
Well, for all of you who are moving in the future and want a reputable company, check first with MovingScam.com. They have lists of who to use, who to watch out for, etc. I've found it very helpful.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:06 PM

2 posts, read 4,032 times
I know the feeling of what your going though , the only thing I can tell you is to go online and file a complant with the federal trade commission if you can find other with the same company they will go after the campany and try and get you some help . I've did my home and it still didn't pay off so all of these companys are getting away with what they are doing ! the law's are on there side and should be the other way around , after all were the ones who pays there bill's .we need to get our congress to change the law and have the moving companys come to us and not the other way around ,

Old 03-12-2009, 06:42 PM

444 posts, read 1,614,386 times
I am hoping I never have to move again after similar experiences. The BBB is useless.

If I ever do ... I think I'll consider the POD system with well supervised paid students on each end to pack and then double pack and load and unload. Even within Las Vegas, I know ... no names please ... we have had furniture damaged on short moves.

All movers, thats the actual guys working, can make more money by rushing the job beacuse maybe they can get two jobs done in one day. Thus its possible to pull furniture apart when you grab and pull it bruskly or to dent and scratch as you rush through doors. I know its low skilled work, but its not low pay work.

At the risk of offending someone, the moving industry as a whole truly sucks. If you've had a good experience, you have been very very lucky.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:25 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
This is an old thread, back from July, and the OP is long gone into the Austin forums, but...

for others looking to use moving companies, a reputable co. should ask if you want to purchase extra insurance. Little companies may not because they hope you don't, so that if something gets damaged they only cover the .60 per lb that they are required to. Make sure you inquire about it. I insured both my moves and had absolutely not one thing out of place or damaged. Maybe they are doubly careful when they know a customer purchased insurance-and I purchased replacement ins-they would have had to replace it at today's market value, not the purchase price when I bought it.

I know it cost more and it is a crap shoot, but one gamble that I was willing to spend the money on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: