Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 11:02 PM

8 posts, read 29,321 times

Advertisements

hi im 18 and live here in las vegas.. i quit school last year for no good reasons but i got my GED and in oct. im going to be taking an emt-b class through NCTI.. i am curious can u get a job as a medic with an
emt-b certification? I heard u need 2yrs exp here to be a medic as emt-b so i just have questions and need help answering them. Also does anyone know with emt-b certification if u do need the 2yrs exp. can you get a job in a hospital here like in the trauma center or something thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 11:37 PM

792 posts, read 1,301,467 times
Hey, you did get your GED, and it sounds like you are trying to look beyond next weekend.. We were all 18 once, and should totally understand. Here is the deal...EMS at all levels, basic through EMT-P requires a serious commitment to both the books and the career. Go down to AMR, introduce yourself and ask about possible employment. Ask about possible ride-alongs, Ask about a job cleaning units. My point is...impress them with your willingness and desire to learn and progress. I think you will have to at least gain your "I" before they conider you for employment...but I'm not sure.

You will need at least (2) years of experience to be considered a viable candidate for Paramedic Training. During that timeframe STAY IN COLLEGE, concentrating on the Math and Sciences. I believe SNCC also has a Paramedic program.

Quittting school was not the brightest thing to do....but you realized your mistake, sounds like you have learned, and have the rest of your life to captalize on that errror. If you learned, it wasn't a mistake. We all make them, move on, and it will be "all good".

EMS on the streets of Vegas is a life like you can not imagine. You will see it all, and do even more. The compensation you will receive, though not bad, will not in dollars and cents. After your first save....remember those words ! And the guy you save, will never ask if you graduated or received a GED...That will be history !

Get real serious about your dream, Fire, EMS, Law Enforcement, your options could be endless ! The future could by your's, it going to be tough, mentally and physically, but simply by your post I sense that you are on the right path.

One last thought, if you are interested in working in a hospital/clinical setting....think about a profession in nursing. The key to this whole thing is education.....and one last word of wisdom. Stay out of the party scene, every career you mention requires a professional license. Yes they will do a background...You are 18....in three years I would hope you are a NREMT-P running a code on the Strip....Good luck...you can do it !

Last edited by Irish4evr; 06-01-2009 at 11:46 PM..

Old 06-01-2009, 11:50 PM

hey thanks for the response.. yes i am serious about trying to be a medic and yes i know i made a mistake quitting school.. im not a bad kid who does drugs or nething stupid i was just to busy having fun with friends and not wanting to go to school.. and i dont really want to work in a hospital i want to work on the streets.. and i just thought maybe hospital just to gain the exp. also im not in the job for the money its just something i feel i really wanna do... also ive never seen anything crazy so i dont really know yet if it is for me but like i said idk why but its something i feel i wanna do.. are u a medic here in vegas or anything? and thanks for the help

Old 06-02-2009, 12:27 AM

792 posts, read 1,301,467 times
Ya know kyle...the best medics I ever knew...did it for the very reason you express..."Something inside made them want to do it"....I believe medicine is more a "calling" than a career.It is that voice within that will guide your mind, and in turn with guide your hands, to help others. It will be that voice that keeps you going, and picks you up after a bad call. Listen to that voice....you are gonna be fine

Old 06-02-2009, 12:33 AM

yah and thanks for tlking with me.. and idk how old u are but u have some words of wisdom haha inspiring actually

Old 06-02-2009, 08:25 PM

369 posts, read 772,057 times
The EMT would help but in NV you would need CNA to work in the ER or trauma center. CSN has the EMT-P program. You can do the prequsites now. As an EMT-B you can get on with AMR or Medicwest doing interfacility transports. You can also get on with Medicar doing wheelchair runs. The next step after EMT-B is EMT - I (intermediate). This is minimum level do 911 runs. You must have this step to do EMT-P. So to get to street medic see AMR and Medicwest for a BLS transport job. Prove yourself there while getting your EMT I. After a year of I (which would make two years total time) you can then step up to medic.

I'm not sure but I think you need EMT-P to be considered for the FD.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:31 PM

385 posts, read 1,260,138 times
Consider the military.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseplayer View Post
Consider the military.
Hi i did consider the military and already took the asvab and everything then i found the emt-b class and thought id do that.. i was tlking to a Navy recruiter and going through the process but then i stopped cuz like i said i found out about the emt-b class and idk i just put it off.. im going to take the class for now and see where i go from there

Old 06-03-2009, 11:25 AM

385 posts, read 1,260,138 times
A friend's stepson lives in Berkeley and he tried to break into the EMT profession in Alameda County. He went the Comm Coll route. He started out having to wash homeless people's feet in Downtown Oakland. He gave up after a while and then worked for four years at Walgreen's, who found him expendable. I'm glad to say now he joined the Navy and is a Medic, working on a hospital ship off the coast of Kuwait. He has an 8 year commitment, but will probably stay on.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:14 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,662,283 times
Not to sound like a pain, but in any profession you desire to pursue, it helps to have effective communication skills. I'm guessing English wasn't your strong point in school. If you want to talk/text that way with your friends, fine. It won't get you a job, and it "sounds" like nails on a chalkboard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas