Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2009, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,874 times

Advertisements

any help would be great!!!

I want to build a pool in my back yard, my back wall is over 5ft but there is a two inch gap and then there is another wall to the neighbors, do the inspector put there tape ruler in that 2inch gap or they use the neighbors wall???

Last edited by poolquestion; 07-28-2009 at 09:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 12:24 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
i didnt know the height mattered..waterline must be at least 5 feet from wall

Old 07-29-2009, 05:17 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
I'm assuming you're talking about the height of the wall. The wall will be measured from the neighbor's side- it doesn't matter if the wall is 10' high on your side, if it's less than 5' high on the neighbor's side, it's got to be raised.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,843 times
guys you have to read what he/she is asking before you reply!!

I think he is saying ,that his wall is butt against another wall and there is a 2 inch gap between them..

When i built my pool they measured the back of my outsides, and it does state in the code rules that 5ft is measured from the outside of your wall, as for your wall they might just stick that tape where that 2inch gap is, as that is your outside of you wall..

but im not sure for this one, maybe a call to the inspectors office would help this question...

good luck!!

Old 07-29-2009, 11:09 AM

515 posts, read 1,180,193 times
Not that this means anything at all, but common sense would dictate that they ignore the two-inch gap and just measure from the neighbor's side of their wall. After all, the intent of the code is increased safety - presumably by having a high wall on the outside of the property the chances of children making it into your yard and drowning in your pool are reduced. A two inch gap is not a significant obstacle for a kid and thus ought to be ignored for determining how well the wall is able to keep kids from becoming floaters in your pool.

I recommend broken glass and barbed wire across the top of your wall to really keep the kids out.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:00 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiminani View Post
Not that this means anything at all, but common sense would dictate that they ignore the two-inch gap and just measure from the neighbor's side of their wall. After all, the intent of the code is increased safety - presumably by having a high wall on the outside of the property the chances of children making it into your yard and drowning in your pool are reduced. A two inch gap is not a significant obstacle for a kid and thus ought to be ignored for determining how well the wall is able to keep kids from becoming floaters in your pool.
I agree- no inspector is going to let you slide just because there's a 2" gap between walls. You could fight the issue if your wall meets the 5' rule on the other side, but even if you win (doubtful), your life will be made miserable for the rest of the pool construction project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas