Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 08:37 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

I'm curious as to the reactions that Las Vegas locals have received, while traveling elsewhere, when you tell them you're living in Las Vegas.

After 13 years here now, I've gotten to the point now that when I travel somewhere and someone asks me where I'm living, to be on the safe side, I tell them Tucson, particularly if its a taxi driver or if I'm in Mexico. But it all depends on who I'm dealing with.

Why? It seems that so many people I've encountered automatically assume I have a money tree in my backyard, I'm a jackpot winner or making lots and lots of money. Perhaps it comes from seeing too many Las-Vegas based movies. It's hard for many of them to fathom that too many in this city are living paycheck to paycheck, or unemployment check to unemployment check.

I discovered that early on, when my mother mentioned to a store clerk that I lived in Las Vegas and remarked: Oh, he must make lots of money.

What kind of reactions have the rest of you encountered when traveling, them finding out you're living in Las Vegas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 09:03 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
It has been my experience that it is usually either a very positive or less often a very negative response. It would seem everyone has a comment of some sort though. Lately I have noticed people saying "Oh I bet you are glad to be out of THERE" which I think it totally uncalled for because it's usually from people who have never even visited. If they lived here and hated it that's one thing quite another if they just assume it's a den of drug addicts and hookers.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:34 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,665,720 times
I've gotten the whole, "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas". I always tell them, "only with a shot of penicillin".

Old 11-17-2009, 12:05 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times
I tell them I live in a suite at the Montecito, with a strip view, of course.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:06 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
My wife, who was actually born and raised outside of the U.S., but spent about 7 years of her 8 years in the U.S. living in Las Vegas. SO, she tells everyone she is from Las Vegas, when asked.

Usually they seem to think she is a card shark, or that she was a card dealer or maybe even a cocktail waitress there, which all are about as far from the truth as you can get.

I think most people, myself included, always thought, 'okay okay, where are you REALLY from?' No one REALLY lives in Vegas, right? (Or willingly choose to).

However, once I met my wife and ended up spending a lot more time in Las Vegas and getting to know the city....WOW...I hardly ever even went to the Strip. Just enjoying the many amenties (Hawaiian restaurants, Vietnamese, Korean, etc. all my exotic favorites), plus you have all the same things as anywhere else (libraries, borders books, barnes & nobles, etc.), plus all kinds of cool stuff nearby - all the many national parks and desert stuff and a mountain, amazing scenery, etc. L.A. is close which I like as well.

Even now, I still tell people that Vegas is VERY high up there as a city I would probably move to when I get back to the U.S. But, most people I know, still don't really think of Vegas as a city.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:12 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
All of the above has happened to us too. It's our fault though. Maybe not directly, but all of us have a stake in marketing Vegas, and we've given people those ideas to attract them here like ants to a picnic.

I like to talk about what Las Vegas has to offer, but not to people who work for tips. They think we should tip them three times what they'd get from anyone else. In Italy I was told that they aren't used to getting, but they know we are used to giving...so we shouldn't disappoint them.

The reaction I don't understand is the jealous one. They either don't want to hear about Las Vegas because it makes them realize how boring it is where they are; or as someone said, they think we should hate it here and be glad to get away.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:04 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
I h ave never had a bad reaction when I've told someone where I live.....
In France in 1964 I went to an open market and stopped at an African Spice Stand....the owner was from French Equatorial Africa.....he spoke not one word of the english language......but when I told him where I was from.....he grinned and made a 'slot machine mostion' with his hand and said ohhhhhh Las Begasssss.......

Old 11-17-2009, 08:32 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Usually people are interested. Just about the only negative replies I ever get are from the east coast, or you'll get the silent treatment with just a stare. In other countries the first thing I usually get is some remark about leaving a big tip, but their eyes light up when you say Las Vegas. Everyone in the world knows something about us. About half the folks back east will say something like, "Yeah, but it's cold at night isn't it?" One guy ask me if we "get a lot of stars 'n stuff", here. A friend of mine told his buddies in college that his mother was a hooker, and his father was a Mafia hit man, and they lived in Caesars Palace. I think they might have bought it.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:55 PM

11 posts, read 32,605 times
Wink I Still Love Las Vegas No Matter What They Say!

Well I've only been here for a minute, but in the process of my relocation when my neighbors would ask "where are you moving"? Most times I got a negative reaction like "Oh...why are you moving to that retirement place? It's so hot there. I hope you don't lose all of your money. People just move their to retire."

I never really expected that reaction to tell the truth so I was a bit stung by their reactions. I was very excited about moving here and still am. I'm very happy with my decision. And even moreso each time I walk outside my door and see that beautiful sunshine, mountain views, trees blowing in that breezy wind, and in the evening...beautiful lights just everywhere.

Some people are just haters. Or maybe it isn't even that because all they know of Vegas is the Strip. They don't know of all the beauty that it has to offer.

Well, whatever, I love it here.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:18 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,784,470 times
I have never received a negative reaction when I tell people I live in Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas