Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2013, 11:13 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,848,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Only for 5 years they can't qualify and many are exempt from that 5 years...
Source, or is that yet another piece of information you are inventing?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 10:18 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
I know for a fact that most legal immigrants -- the vast majority -- are from Mexico because they only need a family sponsor to bring them on in -- legally.

They are not limited to legal spouse and minor children, they can bring in parents, siblings, and papers can be falsified to have it look like someone is a sibling. Family sponsorship brings in a very huge number of immigrants but people without a relative living here can find it much more difficult to immgirate legally.

I live on the border and know of a number of people who came over as "adoptees" even though they regularly visit their parents still in Mexico. It's quite common for children to be adopted to some relative such as a cousin for the purpose of getting them over here legally.

And because I live on the border where this is all very common, I know a woman who married a US citizen and so became a citizen and who sponsored two brothers and their wives and kids to be here. She could sponsor her parents also but they choose not to come.

If the sponsored immigrant can't work and applies for the means tested program, her income as the sponsor gets added in with the immigrant's to determine if the immigrant will qualify for these programs.
I feel so much safer knowing that you live on the border and know very little about legal US immigration.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Should we let him know that 125% of poverty limit has to be documented through filed income tax statements and it has to be that amount times number of people in household plus for each person being sponsored. The liability has a 10 year or x number of work units of person being sponsored life span.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:03 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Should we let him know that 125% of poverty limit has to be documented through filed income tax statements and it has to be that amount times number of people in household plus for each person being sponsored. The liability has a 10 year or x number of work units of person being sponsored life span.
Are you attempting to smother the poster's rhetoric with fact and logic? Fie upon you!

Old 02-20-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Sure I know, I sponsored four immigrants myself (my wife and three stepchildren), but "malamute" likes inventing information. He's back to misrepresenting "dunning", and saying that "most" sponsors have no intention honoring their financial agreements. Anything to tell his stories for effect.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Sure I know, I sponsored four immigrants myself (my wife and three stepchildren), but "malamute" likes inventing information. He's back to misrepresenting "dunning", and saying that "most" sponsors have no intention honoring their financial agreements. Anything to tell his stories for effect.
But I live in Texas, am surrounded by Hispanics, Indian Dot and need defending against nosy neighbors with vivid imaginations.
Malamute has his positive sides. He just gets carried away sometimes.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
But I live in Texas, am surrounded by Hispanics, Indian Dot and need defending against nosy neighbors with vivid imaginations. Malamute has his positive sides. He just gets carried away sometimes.
Nah, there's no rationalizing for the behavior I've seen from him, and I tend to be very forgiving...

Old 02-21-2013, 11:10 PM

18 posts, read 43,092 times
Be careful what you wish for. The american dream is not too "dreamy" these days. Although I am sure that compared to other countries it might look better, but honestly being born and raised here, I would like to retire somewhere else because I don't think I can afford to live here comfortably in 10 yrs. Which is sad since I have worked since 13 years old. So all I am saying is .. if you can travel and go places with visas and work, check it out. But the idea you might have is not reality. I just went through a yr of unemployment with 3 degrees. Just saying....Good luck...

Old 02-23-2013, 02:30 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
I provided a source. 125% of poverty level is actually not all that liveable. You can make less than $20,000 a year and sponsor immigrants. Not only that, if you make less than that, you can add in another sponsor's income.

You're not expected to buy your immigrant a good health insurance policy, nor do you have to pay their hospital bills. Support can mean just letting them live in your home or apartment and sharing some food.

There are some convenient loopholes for those who want to bring in immigrants but are under 125% of the poverty level.

http://www.nilc.org/sponsoredimms&bens-na-2009-08.html

Sponsors who don’t earn enough money can show that their assets (such as a house, car, or bank account) are worth 5 times the difference between 125 percent of the federal poverty level and their income (or 3 times this difference, if aU.S.citizen is petitioning for a spouse or child). Sponsors who can’t meet these requirements may find a joint sponsor who also must sign an affidavit of support promising to support the immigrant.

However, these immigrants are eligible for emergency Medicaid and most other federal benefits. States can choose to provide Medicaid and CHIP to lawfully residing children and pregnant women regardless of their date of entry, without sponsor-related barriers. In some states, immigrants can get state-funded medical, food, or cash assistance. For more details on the immigrant eligibility rules, see National Immigration Law Center, Guide to Immigrant Eligibility for Federal Programs (4th ed. 2002).

Sponsors will not need to repay the cost of emergency Medicaid or other emergency medical care, immunizations or testing and treatment for communicable disease symptoms (outside of Medicaid), short-term noncash emergency aid, school breakfast or school lunch, Head Start, student financial aid, Job Training Partnership Act programs, certain noncash services that are available regardless of income, or many other programs that have not been named as “means-tested” benefits. Sponsors are not liable to repay benefits used before a public notice determining that the benefit is a “means-tested public benefit” is published.

Last edited by malamute; 02-23-2013 at 02:48 AM..

Old 02-23-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I provided a source. 125% of poverty level is actually not all that liveable. You can make less than $20,000 a year and sponsor immigrants. Not only that, if you make less than that, you can add in another sponsor's income.

You're not expected to buy your immigrant a good health insurance policy, nor do you have to pay their hospital bills. Support can mean just letting them live in your home or apartment and sharing some food.

There are some convenient loopholes for those who want to bring in immigrants but are under 125% of the poverty level.

Sponsored Immigrants and Benefits - National Immigration Law Center

Sponsors who don’t earn enough money can show that their assets (such as a house, car, or bank account) are worth 5 times the difference between 125 percent of the federal poverty level and their income (or 3 times this difference, if aU.S.citizen is petitioning for a spouse or child). Sponsors who can’t meet these requirements may find a joint sponsor who also must sign an affidavit of support promising to support the immigrant.

However, these immigrants are eligible for emergency Medicaid and most other federal benefits. States can choose to provide Medicaid and CHIP to lawfully residing children and pregnant women regardless of their date of entry, without sponsor-related barriers. In some states, immigrants can get state-funded medical, food, or cash assistance. For more details on the immigrant eligibility rules, see National Immigration Law Center, Guide to Immigrant Eligibility for Federal Programs (4th ed. 2002).

Sponsors will not need to repay the cost of emergency Medicaid or other emergency medical care, immunizations or testing and treatment for communicable disease symptoms (outside of Medicaid), short-term noncash emergency aid, school breakfast or school lunch, Head Start, student financial aid, Job Training Partnership Act programs, certain noncash services that are available regardless of income, or many other programs that have not been named as “means-tested” benefits. Sponsors are not liable to repay benefits used before a public notice determining that the benefit is a “means-tested public benefit” is published.
All that work to move the goalposts, when I had asked you to source how "many" immigrants are "exempt" from being unable to draw benefits for five years:

Quote:
Only for 5 years they can't qualify and many are exempt from that 5 years...
For all of the "convenient loophole" spiel you did above, you forgot to mention that the asset must be fully owned by the sponsor (a $50,000 vehicle without a lien of any sort being valued as only $10,000 of collateral isn't really "convenient", much less likely to be entirely owned by someone below 125% of the poverty level) and "able to be immediately liquidated" if necessary...

Now how are "many" legal immigrants "exempt" from the five year residency requirement? You've put it in the context that they (as a group, not a particular age or gender) are "exempt" from the time span, not any would-be standard qualification for emergency treatment (all states independently determine how Medicaid can and can't be used under those circumstances anyway). This topic is in the Legal Immigration section, meaning that any "immigrant" used as an example would have a valid sponsor.

BTW, a statement of "You can make less than $20,000 a year and sponsor immigrants" is inherently false as relating to that income compared to 125% of the poverty level. It would at most be singular ("..and sponsor an immigrant"). You're making the same mistake that FAIR has on their sponsorship page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration