Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should companies be allowed to sponsor a guest worker, or should the worker sponsor themselves?
The guest worker should be in control and sponsor his or her guest worker status. 12 63.16%
Companies should be in control and sponsor guest worker status 7 36.84%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 03:00 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post
Point 2, the problem is that we allow more than 65k H-1B workers (Somehow there were 135k issues last year), and Congress plans to vote to raise that limit this year. There are estimates that say that the US loses close to $3 Billion in taxes every year because H-1B workers are paid below market value. Then considering tax treaties (say with India) that say the US government has to return a portion of it's collected tax dollars from Indian Citizens, means we are loosing a load of tax dollars.

Your right that a contact is a contract, but immigration should be between a government and a person, not a company, a person, and a government. This current relationship is screwy. I agree people should be able to sponsor themselves like in Canada. Remove the middle man!

Foreign workers on H-1B visas pay Taxes, SS, Medicare as US nationals. Infact their tax refund if any is much less then citizens. US do not have to return their tax dollars. Foreign nationals have to contribute towards SS, Medicare and they are not eligible to get it back unless they become citizens. So US is gaining tax dollars from them-not losing.

Last edited by munna21977; 10-18-2013 at 04:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 05:48 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
Not really. ^

May of them are bringing their sick relatives to use our Medicare and other tax supported systems for self enrichment.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:38 PM

105 posts, read 202,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Not really. ^

May of them are bringing their sick relatives to use our Medicare and other tax supported systems for self enrichment.
It's on the Internet, so it must be true.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:51 AM

752 posts, read 1,165,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Not really. ^

Call it 80%. Just see how many old Indians and Chinese out of blue walk ours streets. I have old parents too and it is not at end of theirs mind to come to USA. It is just a way how Indians transfer theirs poverty to USA.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:18 AM

105 posts, read 202,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipitop View Post
Call it 80%. Just see how many old Indians and Chinese out of blue walk ours streets. I have old parents too and it is not at end of theirs mind to come to USA. It is just a way how Indians transfer theirs poverty to USA.
So you see old Indians roaming around the streets and you automatically assume they are all on Medicare. As I said earlier, I'm not going to post anymore in this thread as this has already turned racist and I have zero interest in Internet race battles.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:06 PM

444 posts, read 820,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisDamnLife View Post
I don't see any logic in the argument of portion of Joe's taxes going to his govt. Can you elucidate on how you arrived @ this conclusion? My taxes were paid only to the US govt while I was in H1B and the same continues now. Heck, I haven't filed taxes in my home country for years. So, I don't understand how a H1B visa holder earnings here get taxed by his home country.
I arrived at this conclusion by reading the India US Tax Treaty and the Double Taxation Agreement. I'm not sure if you have ever lived in a US state that you didn't work it. For example, my mom lives in WV but works in OH. When she started he job, she filed out a W-9 and similar documents for Ohio. At the end of the year, she fills out her tax documents and claims residence in WV. The states transfer money between themselves. According to the Tax Treaties, you yourself will never see this money. It's just part of the agreement the US has with foreign nations. Federal tax for most nations is basically a citizenship tax, how do you think people can just go back to their home countries and not be prosecuted for tax fraud? The treaties take care of it.

Quote:
In my experience, your statement is only half-true. Yes, the H1b holders who initially come here through small body-shopping companies come @ a low salary (not like 30-40k but in the low 60s) but the govt has cracked down severely on such companies that this business practice is on the wane. The govt though still hasn't been able to do much with the MNCs that get the bulk of the H1b visas. Lot of visas (atleast 1/3rd of 85k visas /yr) are garnered by students who've completed their masters in the US. IMO, a majority of visa holders in these category are paid much better & also the category which is bound to raise in the coming years.
My point is comparable to buying a car. When you are buying a car, you go to several car dealers and you try to get the best price for the car that you can. Joe not being able to "company shop" or "salary shop" because the H-1B visa is a company visa, not an immigrant visa (and the GC sponsorship issue) means that Joe could be getting paid more at another company, and it's not fair to American or H-1B workers that H-1B workers can't salary shop.

H-1B workers get the promise of GC's, so they can justify working in conditions that they may not be that happy with. If we are going to open our doors, the relationship should be between the government and the guest worker, minus the company. And that the guest worker should be free to shop for the best thing they are qualified for, without fearing deportation just like their American counter parts. They should also be able to sponsor their own GC.

(If anyone would tell me why deportation is such a big deal to an H-1B worker, I'd appreciate it.)

Old 10-19-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Do you 've credible news articles or data to prove your point? What type of engg grads are you talking about? If you've to talk about unemployment among professional grads, what about lawyers, MBAs who are now coming out of school with truck loads of debt with no prospect of finding a good pay job that help them start whittling down on that 200k student debt.
Engineers are begin hired that's for sure, but grads are not. The easiest information to share is that of OSU.

https://ecs.osu.edu/sites/ecs.osu.ed..._2011-2012.pdf

And Georgia Tech

https://www.assessment.gatech.edu/20...salary-survey/

"The proportion of job-seeking Georgia Tech BS recipients who report having a job at graduation was 67.2% in May 2012, up from 63.4% in May 2011, and 53.3% in May 2010. The current placement rate actually exceeds the pre-recession rate in May 2008 of 65.8%."

There are other colleges,with similar stats. Recently there this article was published: The STEM Crisis Is a Myth - IEEE Spectrum

Saying that we graduate more STEM degrees than create jobs.

MBA's might graduate with a truck load of debt and not able to find jobs, but at least it's not because we are "in-sourcing". Engineers are not getting jobs because of "in-sourcing" while Obama asks from one million more "home grown" engineers.

One Decade, One Million more STEM Graduates | The White House

Old 10-19-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinning View Post
I personally oppose any legal or illegal immigrants coming to America when workers are unemployed. This should be better regulated, and shut off the spout until our people are working.

If corporations in America insist on these programs, then our workers should have the same advantages as these foreign workers have. I guess that is a form of competition isn't it? Why should Americans be denied jobs by bringing in a foreigner who gets a free education, free job training, free job placement in his country, and our workers have to pay for these things if they want the same job in their own country? Its not a fair system.

Wish you well.
Personally, what gets me is that on a weekly basis I am asked if I am a US citizen by an interviewer/HR rep and then hung up on. I have call places that have told me they were not hiring when they had 10+ jobs I qualified for on their website. I've been told that I don't want to work at their company because they don't pay enough, but they never said how much. They wouldn't even give me a chance to decide. They would NOT ask if I was willing to relocate my self. Nothing. I was never even given a chance because I answered their citizenship question.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Life isn't fair, shinning. It's what you make out of it .
The point is the US government should not be giving an unfair advantage to foreign workers. The US government should be giving unfair advantage to American workers.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
The problem with the "no immigrants until everyone is working" argument is that not everyone can do every job. If Mike the assembly line worker is fired, no company should be forced to fire Rakeesh the software engineer and replace him with Mike. Because Duh.
I understand this. But did you see what HP was doing? It fired software engineers, and then asked for addition H-1B software engineers a few months ago.

Additionally, I don't think it's right for companies to cut training programs for entry level and new hire engineers while asking for guest worker engineers.

Also, this program has been going on for 10+ we should have had Rakeesh train someone and end our dependence on "guest" engineers. Also, do you know who was doing the job before Rakeesh? An American with an arts/business/ not engineering degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration