Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2014, 01:36 AM

20 posts, read 32,084 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone

I am a foreigner and I am working in the US until October 2014( under OPT rule, one year of work allowed after completed my degree) .
My wife is a green card holder and will be eligible for US citizenship in November 2014. She will sponsor me at this time. Unfortunately I will have to wait between 5 to 7 months to get a new working authorization due to a really slow processing time.

I am not really happy about quitting my job for that long , I can basically do my job anywhere as long as I have a phone and a computer and since that my company is based in my home country as well do you think that it is possible to sign a contract in my home country for the same company and continue to do the same work ( and not going to my office here in US) . Once I am allowed to work in the US again I will just resign from the company in my home country and go back to the one in US.

Do you think is it legal ?

I am not greedy but I have a family to take care of and I don't want to be separated for so long if it is not possible I will just stay home for 7 months .....

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 03:51 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Sorry, but I'm almost positive that's not legal. Check here for the restrictions on your current visa:

Homepage | USCIS

Old 03-30-2014, 07:36 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Why does your wife not apply for your Green Card now and adjust the application once she received her US citizenship?

Old 03-30-2014, 11:40 AM

20 posts, read 32,084 times
My thoughts is that since I can do my job in other countries while I travel , it should be fine . I see that as teleworking because my contract and income will be signed in a subsidiary and different company .

For example an executive coming to the US for 6 months on a B1 visa can still work from his laptop for his employer back home while visiting the US.

A lawyer told me that I have a tiny chance that they will revoke my employment card if we apply already for AOS .
Plus I don't know if ever we apply earlier if once she became citizen they start over the process which take 5-7 months or if it will be quicker .
On visa bulletin for the F2A they are just processing the application submitted in September 2013 that's why I believe it will not speed up the process to do that.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:50 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
You may want to read up a bit on B1. There was enough hoopla last year about Indian Dot abuse of B1 privileges thus tightening issuance.

B-1 Temporary Business Visitor | USCIS

Old 04-02-2014, 07:24 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,691,381 times
Yes. Indian IT companies send their employees on billable work on B1 visa. They are put in Hotel or some apartment for 3 months or even upto 6 months and given some stipend. There salary checks are deposited in their accounts in India. They call it ONSITE. This is illegal for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration