Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 06:14 PM

13 posts, read 21,396 times

Advertisements

Just Curious:

I'm admittedly pretty ignorant to immigration laws. I am on an F-1. Upon completion of my studies, i will do a year of OPT and then hopefully stay on a TN visa (I'm Canadian).

My questions are:

What is the process for getting a TN visa? I'm assuming the employer applies? Is it something that is easily done? How long does a TN last for? Does it only apply for that specific employer, or am I free to change jobs on that same visa, or would I need a new one?

What would be the benefit of me applying for permanent residency, as opposed to staying on a TN? How would I go about doing that, and what are the timeline/guidelines? I have read mention of a "lottery", what is that? Do permanent residents pay in state tuition?

After gaining permanent residency, is it just a matter of time until I would be granted citizenship? How does it work?

I read in another thread about extending OPT another year. How would one go about doing that?

I plan on staying in the US for at least another 3-4 years and possibly more. i'd ideally like to stay longterm, buy property and settle down somewhere in the midwest.

Last edited by missiyaki; 11-02-2014 at 07:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 06:20 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Go to the USCIS website which is linked in the first "sticky" on this forum and you'll find answers to most of your questions right from the horse's mouth. You can also download all the forms from that site.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:54 AM

thanks! the USCIS site did answer most of my questions. I still have the following, and would also be interested to hear from anyone who went through a similar process and their experience with with. These are my remaining questions:

What would be the benefit of me applying for permanent residency, as opposed to staying on a TN? what are the timeline/guidelines? I have read mention of a "lottery", what is that? Do permanent residents pay in state tuition?

After gaining permanent residency, is it just a matter of time until I would be granted citizenship? How does it work?

Old 11-03-2014, 07:59 AM

983 posts, read 1,635,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missiyaki View Post
thanks! the USCIS site did answer most of my questions. I still have the following, and would also be interested to hear from anyone who went through a similar process and their experience with with. These are my remaining questions:

What would be the benefit of me applying for permanent residency, as opposed to staying on a TN? what are the timeline/guidelines? I have read mention of a "lottery", what is that? Do permanent residents pay in state tuition?

1) TN is meant to be temporary, so at some point, if you just keep renewing TN status, a CBP officer having a bad day could deny you entry for using the TN as a replacement for permanent residence.

2) The lottery is the diversity (DV) based green card. I don't think Canadians can apply.

3) Permanent residents pay in state tuition. TNs don't, so that's another advantage.

4) If you gain permanent residence through employment you need to wait for 5 years and then file for citizenship with USCIS. If you gain it through marriage to an American, you only need to wait three years.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
1) TN is meant to be temporary, so at some point, if you just keep renewing TN status, a CBP officer having a bad day could deny you entry for using the TN as a replacement for permanent residence.

2) The lottery is the diversity (DV) based green card. I don't think Canadians can apply.

3) Permanent residents pay in state tuition. TNs don't, so that's another advantage.

4) If you gain permanent residence through employment you need to wait for 5 years and then file for citizenship with USCIS. If you gain it through marriage to an American, you only need to wait three years.
thank you very much for your answers!

regarding permanent residency through employment, how does that work? would it be a case of me approaching my employer and telling them that I wanted to apply, and then it would be up to them whether they wanted to help me out or not? i mean, is this a thing that employers often do for individuals on tn visas, or are they hesitant etc? would they expect me to sign a contract stating that i would stay with that company for x amount of time, or would they just do it? just trying to understand the process.

another question that i have tried to google but didnt find an answer to, is can I hold three citizenships? I carry both a canadian and british passport, could i also carry an US one as well?

Old 11-03-2014, 03:45 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
Just Curious:

I'm admittedly pretty ignorant to immigration laws. I am on an F-1. Upon completion of my studies, i will do a year of OPT and then hopefully stay on a TN visa (I'm Canadian).

My questions are:

What is the process for getting a TN visa? I'm assuming the employer applies? Is it something that is easily done? How long does a TN last for? Does it only apply for that specific employer, or am I free to change jobs on that same visa, or would I need a new one?

What would be the benefit of me applying for permanent residency, as opposed to staying on a TN? How would I go about doing that, and what are the timeline/guidelines? I have read mention of a "lottery", what is that? Do permanent residents pay in state tuition?

I read in another thread about extending OPT another year. How would one go about doing that?

I plan on staying in the US for at least another 3-4 years and possibly more. i'd ideally like to stay longterm, buy property and settle down somewhere in the midwest.
The employer gives you a letter indicating a job offer with a specific length of time up to 3 years including salary and a comprehensive statement of duties assigned. There are specific job titles but try to avoid the Management Consultant title since that is so open to interpretation that despite what letter an attorney crafts, it can be denied by CBP. A computer programmer is not a TN category while Computer Systems Analyst is a TN category. An RN is a TN category. You have to bring the requisite degrees (original documents only) and transcripts or statements of experience if degrees are not required to show you are qualified. Fail to bring original documents can get the application denied.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:17 PM

96 posts, read 125,232 times
Quote:

What would be the benefit of me applying for permanent residency, as opposed to staying on a TN?
You would qualify for social security if you obtain permanent residency

Old 11-04-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 702216 View Post
You would qualify for social security if you obtain permanent residency
thank you!

Old 11-06-2014, 12:56 AM

881 posts, read 1,815,773 times
Also your TN Visa is tied to a particular employer, it doesn't transfer. If you want to change jobs, your new employer needs to be willing to sponsor you for a new work visa. On a PR you are free to change jobs.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:29 AM

983 posts, read 1,635,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
Also your TN Visa is tied to a particular employer, it doesn't transfer. If you want to change jobs, your new employer needs to be willing to sponsor you for a new work visa. On a PR you are free to change jobs.
Well, there is the change of employer form that can be filed from within the US, or you can just go to the border and apply with an offer letter from a new employer. From that standpoint, transferability is a non-issue. It doesn't require a previous application, there is no quota... so even if it doesn't transfer, just go and get the visa with the new employer if/when you find one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration