Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2015, 08:33 AM

9,405 posts, read 8,369,560 times

Advertisements

Hello - we have a wonderful au pair from Mexico with our family who's 2nd year ends with us in Feb 2016. She has expressed interest in staying in the US and attempting to continue her studies (English, primarily), at which time her J1 Visa will expire.

She has asked around to other au pairs and even spoken with a local Mexican consulate to try and find ways she can stay in the US to study and seems to keep hitting a brick wall. I really am completely clueless about how she would go about doing this as being an American citizen I've never had to deal with visas so I was hoping someone here might have a good starting point for her as to what she can do to try and extend?

Also, if there is, in fact, a venue for her to stay (a student visa, for example), can she work part-time to earn money while she is here? She has diligently saved while here for the past 1.5 years but I would be very afraid of leaving her here to her own means with no income at all.

We have paid the au pair agency in full and obviously want to keep this all legal, she has no desire to stay in the country illegally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 09:05 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
There are some quirky requirements for au-pairs to receive student visas. A lot of attorneys offer initial consultations at no charge. That may be an initial route.

Were she to apply for a student visa part of the application is proof of funds for tuition/living for the first year and the source for the reminder of the studies. Generally no Employmnet the first year and on campus only after that. USCiS.gov gives details.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:11 AM

So are the proof of funds for tuition/living within HER bank account or ours? Sorry, probably a dumb question. We were wanting to help pay for her school as sort of a "thank you" for her two years with us.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:09 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
So are the proof of funds for tuition/living within HER bank account or ours? Sorry, probably a dumb question. We were wanting to help pay for her school as sort of a "thank you" for her two years with us.
As far as I k ow the funds have to be liquid and in her account. You are getting into gifting and potentially taxes here.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:10 PM

In the time since I posed that question I actually found out, the funds have to be in her account unless we sponsor her, in which case we have to show proof of funds. $24K in our instance....not exactly cheap!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration