Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 10:36 PM

3 posts, read 4,036 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am an immigrant.recently i got divorced.to start my life fresh,I decided to go back to school.I applied for a change of status from H4(dependent) to F1(student) .my ex husband denied any kind of support either in immigration or financially.I am doing everything all by myself.

well,I have few concerns..I am currently awaiting the processing of change of status..I am kind of in a limbo state from H4--------F1.

it's been 45 days that i have been waiting to hear from Immigration dept.

I was told that during this process, I am not supposed to travel anywhere out of the country, which is completely understandable.

But cannot I travel anywhere within the country..like from one state to another state, one city to another city .by taking a flight or taking a bus?? couple of friends warned me not to take up any kind of travel, as it might jeopardize my chances of visa approval.

I do have my passport but of-course with the expired I-94.I also have my driving license again which is expired.

I also have SSN which I received when I was on H4 status and had EAD(work permit).Is SSN helpful anywhere, in any process??

kindly somebody tell me what is all this and how exactly does this work?? I am not able to understand anything.I can't drive,can't go anywhere, I feel bored to death, depressed and stuck.

soon my health insurance will expire.I have been planning to go attend some counselling sessions to get through the divorce, but looks like even that is not possible.

how long does it take for the processing??
can i travel anywhere within USA either by flight or bus??

what other options do i have to do something worthwhile while i await the visa approval.I can't just sit and do nothing.

please somebody suggest me something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 12:28 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,686,844 times
Are you Out of Status right now or still you got H4?

For travel within the country, a Valid Passport should be fine. For Domestic travel, nobody will look at Visa or I-94. A copy of letter from University that you are awaiting new I-20 should be fine just in case anybody asks anything. For MegaBus also Passport should be fine. I dont recall anybody asking for Visa in Domestic Travel as many immigrants travel with expired visas in their passports but their immigration status is thru I-94 Card and I-20 and I dont recall anybody asking I-20 for Domestic Travel. If you have Valid passport, you can travel by Bus, Train, Plane within USA.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:21 PM

159 posts, read 170,772 times
Sad to hear about your plight. Best of luck with everything including the studies.

Typically you don't need a visa or so to travel within the US. USCIS officials may ask for proof of immigration status-but I have not heard of any case in domestic travel.

I would say do not stress out. Take a few trips around. Take a break from everything and prepare for your upcoming school.

And do carry your passport.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:13 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times
For F1 you can travel within the USA but definitely don't leave the US.

Btw F1 is not a visa but a status and therefore not a traveling visa. Once you leave the country you may not be able to get into the country until the next school year UNLESS you go to the department that helped you with the I-120 and they will need to help you out and then you may be able to go in and out the country but otherwise it will be your I094 date that counts.

Be careful not making any error.

I just helped a friend on a F1 through the lawyer we had used for our immigration back in the days and he gave us all the advise that we followed but he told my friend that it may be for a long time that this friend can't leave the country or risk not able to come in until the next school year. During the change of status you can't leave at all or it is considered abandoning the application.

I'm not a lawyer and I'm just giving you the info my friend was given but every case may be different for time lines of not traveling.

I applaud you for your bravery since it is not easy to do it on your own and legal aliens don't have it easy.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,052 times
I apply fr f1 as i have b1 b2 multilple visa case is in process can i go for a week to pakistan for my brither wedding n can i comeback without any hurdels after a week

Old 03-04-2016, 08:12 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,035,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnainam View Post
I apply fr f1 as i have b1 b2 multilple visa case is in process can i go for a week to pakistan for my brither wedding n can i comeback without any hurdels after a week
If you go, they don't have to let you back into the US:

"If you visit other countries, then return to the U.S., your re-entry will be considered to be a new admission, rather than a re-entry from a contiguous country in the course of your initial visit, and the admission inspection may be more strenuous. The CBP Officer inspecting you will want evidence that you intend to go back home to your country of citizenship to live as opposed to returning again and again to the U.S. after visits to other countries. Remember, a B1 or B2 visa allows you to come to the U.S. to visit. If the CBP Officer suspects that you are actually trying to be a de facto resident, you will be denied entry."

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...-b1-or-b2-visa

Old 08-29-2016, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 773 times
I'm out of status for more than 5 months, but I don't want to leave the country because I might not get a new VISA in my in home country to re-enter US. I got pregnant and I have a citizen child. Is there any way the government can help,in changing my VISA and letting me go back in school?

Old 08-29-2016, 04:52 PM

20 posts, read 32,281 times
Just get pregnant again. Remember THREE is the magic number.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:09 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,035,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smb31 View Post
I'm out of status for more than 5 months, but I don't want to leave the country because I might not get a new VISA in my in home country to re-enter US. I got pregnant and I have a citizen child. Is there any way the government can help,in changing my VISA and letting me go back in school?
Sorry, not possible. A child will not change your status.

You can be deported at any time. It is better for you to go home NOW because if you overstay:

--less than 6 months and go home on your own = no penalty (you can come back)]
--more than 6 months but less than 1 year and go home on your own = 3 year ban on return
--over 1 year and go home on your own = 10 year ban
--if you get deported ANYTIME (like NOW) = lifetime ban (may be appealed, but no guarantee of success)

Go home, apply to school from your country. And get the father of the child to give his permission for his child to leave with you, or that can be kidnapping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration