Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2016, 09:22 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,338,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
So, the question is: should a person who willingly denounces their US citizenship still have the full legal rights of a US citizen?

My opinion is "no" and they should be banned from reentering the USA, not even with a visa obtained as a citizen of foreign country.

Need to visit your mother? Have her meet you in Mexico.
No, they do not have the full rights of a US citizen.

But why should they be banned from entering the US with a visa?

If it is granted or not depends on the political relationship between the US and that country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 09:54 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,625,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSAWWM View Post
OK, ideological debates aside...do I really have to worry about not being allowed to visit my mother or not attending my sister's wedding? Because, if so...perhaps a career in public service isn't for me after all...

I couldn't imagine being barred from my family...no job or amount of money is worth that.

I know the rules are the rules, but it just seems rather mean to me idk. "Don't do this or you'll never see your mom again!" (I know, exaggerating...but still...)

Is it that serious?
What is keeping your mother from visiting you?

And have you cornsidered running for office in the USA? We always need bright young people to help run the country.

Last edited by rugrats2001; 09-24-2016 at 11:12 AM..

Old 09-24-2016, 11:32 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,995,858 times
Quote:
I'm not interested in knowing the rules, I already know them. I was interested in work-arounds.
And now you know there are no work-arounds. So take your time and think things over thoroughly, maybe talk to US Embassy officials and see if you can get a general idea of what they're looking for when it comes to granting a Kenyan citizen a tourist visa, and then make a choice. Whatever you choose, it's not going to be a perfect choice.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:18 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,730,962 times
You will become "stateless". I am not sure if the US signed the relevant UN convention covering stateless individuals, or if it is even relevant since you will be doing this voluntarily. But if you are lucky enough to be able to stay, you certainly can't travel anywhere; can't get a legal job, bank account, driver's' license, etc., etc.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:36 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
You're taking things way too personally, I never said the US was horrible.

Also, who said anything about politics?

Also, my mother has her own will, I can't "take" her anywhere. She's not a commodity.
How old is your mother? As parents age they will need help, have you thought about that?

What's your plan for that? You have a mother in the US who gets ill or disabled and you're in another country? Now what?

Old 09-24-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
You will become "stateless". I am not sure if the US signed the relevant UN convention covering stateless individuals, or if it is even relevant since you will be doing this voluntarily. But if you are lucky enough to be able to stay, you certainly can't travel anywhere; can't get a legal job, bank account, driver's' license, etc., etc.
The OP has dual US and Kenyan citizenship. He will not become stateless if he renounces his US citizenship, he'll merely become a citizen only of Kenya. And he'll be subject to the entry rules that apply to all Kenyan citizens whenever he wishes to travel to another country, whatever those rules might be (they will differ between nations).

Old 09-24-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
How old is your mother? As parents age they will need help, have you thought about that?

What's your plan for that? You have a mother in the US who gets ill or disabled and you're in another country? Now what?
These points are worth pondering whatever the OP decides regarding his US citizenship. Dealing with issues of aging is tough in any case; it's even tougher when you're thousands of miles away from your elderly parents. Lots of people do manage these issues, obviously, but some advance planning is definitely a good idea.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:47 PM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
The problem is, it's "as far as he knows" which obviously isn't "too far". I think he's the type to get off on feeling a general sense of superiority to random strangers on the internet...not letting things like "facts" get in his way of that.
Are you speaking about yourself?

Old 09-24-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
So, the question is: should a person who willingly denounces their US citizenship still have the full legal rights of a US citizen?

My opinion is "no" and they should be banned from reentering the USA, not even with a visa obtained as a citizen of foreign country.

Need to visit your mother? Have her meet you in Mexico.
It is the other end of the world - Kenya

Old 09-24-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rent.in.nyc View Post
No, they do not have the full rights of a US citizen.

But why should they be banned from entering the US with a visa?

If it is granted or not depends on the political relationship between the US and that country.
No one says OP should be banned. You are incorrect. The applicant has to show ties to the home country - will OP return to Kenya and why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration