Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 06:04 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times

Advertisements

This thread is spiked with rumors like plum pudding with ...

The US wife is a friend but OP has never met the husband of a year?

DCF can only be filed if the US party has been legally in the foreign country over 180 days. They are apparently already married. Going through it again?

Leaving the US is very likely to get him banned. Begging forgiveness, bringing his involvement in the community, his success in business and a true marriage to the table may do the trick. Hysterics, focus on here say and postings on forums are not very beneficial to their case. A good lawyer and serious research of his and her life.

Just FYI - he cannot apply for a Green Card. His US spouse can sponsor him and it is a long way to US citizenship. If a Green Card is not a visa - what is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 07:00 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
lol. You don't apply for a green card. You apply for a visa that gives you a green card. lol.
Spoken by someone who has no idea what the hell they are talking about.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:02 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Just FYI - he cannot apply for a Green Card. His US spouse can sponsor him and it is a long way to US citizenship. If a Green Card is not a visa - what is it?
Oh my god.

Seriously? Why not take the 2 seconds it would require to actually look up what a visa is vs a green card before posting this misinformation, hmm?

I bet it would just really blow your mind to find out that a green card isn't actually green.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:11 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Oh my god.

Seriously? Why not take the 2 seconds it would require to actually look up what a visa is vs a green card before posting this misinformation, hmm?

I bet it would just really blow your mind to find out that a green card isn't actually green.
Well, well, ... Green Cards used to be green. Can you please explain what a Green Card which is not green is?

A green card is NOT citizenship. Marriage does not guarantee citizenship. It DOES allow you to apply for a green card. You have to wait 3 years before he could apply for citizenship, and he'd have to be married the entire time.

It allows the US partner to petition for a Green Gard. The 3-year rule applies to marriages under 2 years and the sponsored party can file ROC removal of conditions without being married to the US party.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:24 AM

983 posts, read 1,634,901 times
Just as trivia fact, Green Cards are back to being green since 2012 or so.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:34 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
This thread is spiked with rumors like plum pudding with ...

The US wife is a friend but OP has never met the husband of a year?

DCF can only be filed if the US party has been legally in the foreign country over 180 days. They are apparently already married. Going through it again?

Leaving the US is very likely to get him banned. Begging forgiveness, bringing his involvement in the community, his success in business and a true marriage to the table may do the trick. Hysterics, focus on here say and postings on forums are not very beneficial to their case. A good lawyer and serious research of his and her life.

My best friend has a daughter that I've never met...far over a year old. Why is that strange? She's a Navy wife, they move around a lot. So do I. Closest we ever got to each other after our college years was when I lived in Maine, and at some point they moved to CT. It's not odd, in this day and age, to have friends that you don't see for long periods of time.

As for the OP, you did the right thing. She tried to push her problems on to you. What do you think she would have said had you written it and he still got deported? With what you have said here, and based only on what you said here, because she asked you to write a letter to the fricken government about a relationship that you've never witnessed, I'm going to guess she would have put some blame on you.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:45 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
I haven't read this thread all the way through, but if you lie for them, there is always a remote possibility that they would someday use this information to blackmail you into lying for them again, maybe for something more nefarious.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:12 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,775 times
You can't get into trouble for being honest, but nothing you could write that was truthful would be of any use anyway. I feel bad for your friend because she apparently makes poor choices and is too trusting, and I don't think this is going to end well for her.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:55 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
One of my friends got married almost a year ago to a man from another country. A week or so ago she sent me message telling me that his legal status is "teetering" and asked me to write a letter to state how emotionally and psychologically damaging it would be for her if he's deported. That he's upstanding and well-respected. Please bear in mind that I've never met him and I didn't know he was in the country illegally before then. My friend lives in another state.

She told me that if I was to write this letter, no legal consequences would befall me. I learned during this conversation that he's been in the country illegally for over 10 years. We got into an argument of sorts because I let her know that it wasn't fair for her to drop this in my lap expecting me to vouch for their marriage when I have never met him and I wasn't aware that he wasn't in the country legally all this time; and I don't know if he's using her for citizenship. I just find it suspect that he's been here illegally all this time and all of a sudden it's a pressing issue for him to get a green card now that they are married.

I decided not the write letter but I am curious. Are there consequences for third-party vouching for a marriage where one party has been in the country illegally long-term?
Don't do it, just don't.

Filing any affidavit in support of anything puts your name into something that may come back to you later. If you have never met this person how can you properly support their marriage as being valid?

https://citizenpath.com/how-to-write...751-affidavit/

Old 01-23-2017, 02:57 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
How are you supposed to vouch for someone you do not know? She needs a very good immigration attorney to sort this out.
AGREED and I would definitely NOT do it! You don't know him, you don't know what his story is and personally I would want nothing to do with it! If he's been here illegally this long he needs to figure out how to be here legally, it's not your problem!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration