Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 06:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,173 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

So I'm moving with my fiancee to Bethlehem--we're in the process of buying a house *crosses fingers that it all goes well*--from the DC area and I have a few questions about the winter conditions in the area.

What are winters typically like there? I know it gets cold, but what about snow, ice, etc.

The only serious wintery conditions I've experienced in any long term sense were my high school and college years in Lawrence, KS (Go Hawks!). DC winters aren't that bad compared to KS which tended to be cold, but without much snow or ice. I'm a New Orleans (Geaux Saints!) native and "winter" tends not to be part of the experience there.

We're also looking to replace our awful car with something less awful. Do the winter condition necessitate an SUV or AWD car? Or can we get by with a standard FWD auto?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 07:06 PM

63 posts, read 172,975 times
Welcome, DCist. I get very chicken-y about driving in the ice. I drive a Subaru, they all have AWD. Our alley (behind our parking pad and our access to the road) was iced over from Dec to Feb. I'm not exaggerating, though I may be remembering wrong It's not like in the South where school gets cancelled at the threat of snow (I'm talking to you, Virginia) and everyone stays glued to the forecast.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapama View Post
It's not like in the South where school gets cancelled at the threat of snow (I'm talking to you, Virginia) and everyone stays glued to the forecast.
Heh. The reason for that is because all southerners have synapses that disable driving skill when the words "cold", "winter", "snow", or "ice" are mentioned. We have to protect the kids from our own crazed selves.

It's a fact.

How would you describe snow removal in the area? In the DC area it ranges from adequate to fairly poor. A relatively light dusting usually causes chaos.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:53 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
I think you've hit on what's really important - snow removal. It's pretty good overall, not as good on secondary roads. The worst part about our winters, IMHO, is that they last too darn long. This past year it got cold in November and just really warmed up four days ago! We do have one four wheel drive vehicle but there were only a few days when we really needed to drive it. Go Eagles! Welcome to the Lehigh Valley

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:15 PM

102 posts, read 453,828 times
I thought this past winter brought a lot more icy conditions than the past couple years. We usually like to have a car that has AWD/4WD to fall back on in case things get rough.

If you don't live in an area that is too rural, usually they do a pretty good job.

AWD/4WD is over-rated anyways. It's not the number of wheels driving that makes the difference, but the type and quality of tires that are physically in contact with the driving surface. If you have the means to do so, having a set of winter tires to switch to during the winter may be a cheaper option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley