Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2012, 12:04 PM

32 posts, read 113,370 times

Advertisements

My father-in-law died recently (Florida) and left me vacant property (about 5 acres) he has owned in south wayne county for about 40 years. I was there a little over 20 years ago as we walked the approximately 5 acres but to be honest I have NO IDEA where it is located. I even made a comment to him (half joking) about six months before he died that one day we need to make a trip up to KY because if something ever happened to him there is no way I could find it. Unfortunately he died of a heart attack about 6 months later.

My question is this: How do I find the property? I do have a map# from the tax statement so can I hire a property appraiser in KY and give him/her the map# from the tax statement and he/she take me to the property as well as identify property lines? Any estimates on what that would cost? Any other suggestions?

I would like to visit the property and is quite possible I will be relocating to the Nashville TN area soon which would allow me to actually make an occasional weekend trip to this property and spend some time on it.

Any thoughts on how to approach?

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 08:03 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,890,406 times
You might want to post your inquiry in the general Kentucky section, rather than in the Lexington section.

Once you're in Wayne County, the county tax assessor and/or deeds on record ought to have a description of your property including its location - in fact, it sounds as if you may already have this. Next step would be to acquire a county map, or even try online maps if you have a legal address for your property. You might also want to talk with a surveyor to confirm your legal boundaries. Your lawyer, or perhaps your late father-in-law's lawyer, can also provide assistance.

Good luck with your property - it sounds like a very generous legacy from your father-in-law.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:52 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,079,726 times
Lightbulb knowing the edge of your land

If you have a tax document that shows the map number or parcel identification number, contact the Wayne county courthouse and provide the tax documents and they should be able to get you a physically street address.

you can/will need to look up in the deed - also at the court house - and that will have the dimensions and boundaries for that 5 acre plot but there probably won't be a detailed survey; maybe not even a plat map.

If you have the deed and the property will/does belong to you, a survey can mark the specific borders of the parcel IF you think you need it. These days for a rural, outdated plat map, a surveyor will probably charge at least a thousand dollars and may take 6 months before they physcially mark the borders. Lots of time will need to be spent chasing down neighbors' deeds and other property markers. These days, the surveyors measure in hundredths of a foot where as in the 50's, 60's and 70's, surveys could be off by many feet for a five acre parcel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area