Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,429 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to Lexington this summer and are looking to rent an apartment for the first year. We are moving to attend the graduate school at UK, but have cars and do not need to be close to campus. I have done a lot of browsing at apartments online, but it is hard to get a feeling for the communities/neighborhoods they are in. We have narrowed it down to the following places based on the amenities the apartments provide and nothing else at this time. Any advice on the location of the apartments or neighborhoods would be appreciated. Thank you!

The Village 151 S Locust Hill Dr, Lexington, KY 40517
Merrick Place 3260 Commodore Drive, Lexington, KY 40502
The Meadows 3099 Kirklevington Dr, Lexington, KY 40517
Chinoe Creek 3522 Creekwood Dr Lexington, KY 40502
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 10:30 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,474,580 times
I don't know about the other apartment complexes but Merrick Place is a very nice place to live...its in a safe quiet part of Lexington KY and its a nice apartment complex. I almost rented from Merrick Place but decided on Park Plaza an apartment high rise downtown instead. Good luck, UK is a great place to go to graduate school. I am about to graduate this summer and look forward to get out into the working world. UK is a great place to go to undergrad and graduate school I will say but I am looking forward to moving to a bigger city than Lexington, its a great place to go to school thou I loved it.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:58 AM

14,783 posts, read 8,117,863 times
I have heard nothing but good about Merrick Place or Chinoe Creek. I haven't heard anything about the other two, but haven't heard anything bad either...but they are a little further away. I had a coworker and a neighbor who lived in Merrick place and they raved about it...it has a whole little neighborhood/community, and it is gorgeously landscaped.
It also has the Merrick Inn(Indoor or Outdoor dining)

https://www.themerrickinn.com/videos/photo-galleries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86GmD-uPPnQ

The inside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPYTuusRyH0

Old 03-29-2015, 01:17 PM

9 posts, read 14,639 times
I can tell you where NOT to rent...Zandale Apts, Pegasus Place, anything over near Alexandria Drive or Cardinal Hill area, or Fayette Crossing....stay far away. We lived in Bridle Creek Apts, across from the Fayette Mall for a year....although they look ok, they aren't well insulated, and we had condensation literally running down from the windowsills everyday, and the walls were damp. We had HUGE black mold problems in that complex. We reported it constantly...maintenance would come wipe it off then paint over it. The Mansion apt complex is right next door to Bridle Creek...theres a lot of traffic when you try to get out on 27 because of the mall, which I didn't like.

Over near Harrodsburg Road, the Rabbit Run Apts were really nice, I toured those, but the only apartment they had at the time was on the 3rd level, and I wasn't climbing all those stairs! Beaumont Farms area is nice, I just thought the apts really small for the price. Lighthouse Square apts over near Redding/Kirklevington are cheap, but really old. Saddlebrook and Tates Creek...ehh...not rundown, but some of the areas can be full of noisy students.

Chinoe Road is long and windy, and at the top/north part, are a lot of older homes, and some of the streets are more narrow...we toured a lot of rental homes there. I don't recall the apartments, but they're at the south end of Chinoe Road...I was fine with the whole area, mid to top of the road is a lot of established families and homes, I just didn't like the narrow, older streets...its close to Alumni, which is a sort of cross road that keeps people off the traffic on 27 trying to get to the universities, but is also massively congested on its own at peak drive times...sorry I don't know more about the apartments.

Merrick Place is right off Tates Creek Road, to the east of Kirklevington area...lots and lots of apartment buildings all up and down that whole area. I never heard anything bad about Merrick Place, but Tates Creek area can be either ok or not, depending on which part of it you are...but Merrick is okay, like the other posters have stated.

The Meadows is right down the block from Kirklevington Park, and the old Lighthouse Square Apts. My son used to live at Lighthouse, by the way....when you drive on Redding Road going east, you will see a mixture of all sorts of housing...little ranch homes, older apartment complexes, Lighthouse on the left, right next to that some condo types that are gated...and right near the park, a lot of nice brick style townhomes and condos...its also the entrance to a lot of the side streets where a lot of apartment complexes are located. There's a whole lot of people and students living in that area, in all sorts of housing...its really all sort of mixed up. You'll see the really nicer brick dwellings right across the street from an older complex with iron balconies off the top floors. It's safe as far as I could tell, my son never had any problems in that entire area, and I never felt unsafe there when we'd visit. Redding runs right into Tates Creek, and there is a library and little complexes with a few pizza and restaurant places.

The Village is over near Richmond...at the corner of Richmond and Man O War is St. Josephs East Hospital....a lot of medical complexes, offices, etc...its also right behind the Walmart on that side of town. Don't know much about it, except to drive to doctors appointments near the hospital...Richmond is busy, but you can zip right on New Circle and get to the university okay.

My husband is a physician, he worked in Lexington for a year before we moved south. Lexington is laid out like a wheel, with major roads being the spokes....one thing to keep in mind is the universities are sort of at the center of the wheel, and when you get closer to the center, the traffic can be intense during peak times...leave earlier than you think you need to, to get places on time. I loved the city, personally...not too big, not too small...cleaner than so many we've lived in, and such a diversity of people! I wish we could move back. Good luck! I think you'll like the city a lot.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:35 PM

6 posts, read 13,353 times
I am presently living at the Meadows,and will be moving out in June when the lease is up. We live in a ground floor apartment that does not seem to have any insulation under the floor, Floor was very cold this last winter and as a result my heat bill was high, Since the warm weather has arrived my air conditioner unit is not working, they have supposedly fixed it two weeks ago, and it went back to the way it was last weekend, So it has been over a month and it is not fixed yet, looking forward to a hot weekend.
My neighbor above, I can hear walking about, so I do not think that floor is insulated much either, Apart from that it is quiet enough at night.
My sons car was stolen in the night, got it back thanks to an alert policeman . My mail was stolen ,the mailman left a package on the doorstep,

Old 06-01-2015, 05:43 PM

Update-Air conditioner still not fixed,

Old 06-11-2015, 07:50 AM

The Air conditioner is still not fixed

Old 06-11-2015, 09:09 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,905,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresta123 View Post
The Air conditioner is still not fixed
Aren't you moving out at the end of the month? You may have to just tolerate the AC problem for the next couple of weeks.

Report the problem to your landlord and remind him or her that you reported it previously. That may or may not work. In any case, see if your landlord will agree to refund at least part of your deposit because of this problem.

Meanwhile, buy a couple of inexpensive box fans and put them in your windows. Keep the windows closed and shades drawn on the west side of your apartment, if you have west-facing windows. Don't use your oven and eat cold foods - salads, ice cream, etc. Avoid caffeine, but stay hydrated. Move slowly to help keep your body temperature from rising.

Do you have a new apartment nailed down yet? While you're waiting to move out, spend your time in places with AC: malls, libraries, movies, etc., or in shady parks. The public pools are open, too.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:24 AM

the deposit does not belong to the Landlord, by law, however I doubt I will see any of it.

Make like a homeless person,and go to a/c malls,libraries and movies,

All this luxury I can enjoy for this exorbitant rent ,Gee Whiz

Old 06-11-2015, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,040 times
One pays rent and just tolerate the AC problem? I am sure cresta reported this more than once. Why should a tenant go find a cool place? If an apartment was rented with AC it is the landlord's responsibility to keep it in working condition. And imagine the tenant needs to incur expenses buying fans?

Terrible management and not a good way to attract new tenants. Craigcreek, maybe you should move there and implement all the suggestions you have!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area