Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 11:56 AM

6 posts, read 7,973 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am planning to move to London in the next couple of months. I am in the initial accepting the offer phase. Employer office is located 1 Canada Square Canary Wharf London E14 5AA .

Per the initial talks, I was told the salary would be around 28k to 30k pounds. I, however, said I am open to negotiations w.r.t salary. I was wondering if this is a decent salary to start with.

If the office is located in Canary Wharf, then the next question is where is a decent place to live. I will be moving along with my spouse.

Can someone please suggest me. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 12:07 PM

16,674 posts, read 17,442,775 times
I've no idea whether the salary is appropriate for the position that you have been offered.

If you're asking whether it's enough to live decently then maybe some of us can help.

Did you have a preference for where to live or are you totally open to suggestions?

Are you in the UK at the moment or are you moving here from abroad?

Old 03-25-2014, 12:27 PM

I am very open to suggestions. The company is a start up company. I am offered for a web developer position. I worked in the US for about 6 yrs, and now I am thinking of relocating to UK for a yr or so. Regarding the salary, Not sure how much more I can quote. On the outlook, the current quote mentioned looks less.

And by the way I am an Indian. If that helps you to help me suggest some decent places to live as well.

Can you suggest me. Thank you so much

Old 03-25-2014, 01:19 PM

The question that comes to mind is how much you are budgeting for your accommodation.

I assume you will be renting?

Here's the website that I usually suggest, though there are others;

Flats and houses to rent in Stratford | Property To Let | PrimeLocation

You can play around with the settings, though I have entered in an area close to Canary Wharf, which is Stratford, where the London Olympics were held.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:29 PM

I am not sure how much I can allocate for the accommodation as I have no idea on the cost of living in UK. I just started to do my research.

What do you think about the salary ?

Old 03-25-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv2london View Post
I am not sure how much I can allocate for the accommodation as I have no idea on the cost of living in UK. I just started to do my research.

What do you think about the salary ?
I'm not sure what you are asking.

If you are the only money earner in the family it is not a huge amount for London.

I'm not an accountant though.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:09 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,324,146 times
In parts of Britain that salary would be considered huge, maybe less so in London.

The good thing is Canary Wharf is very well connected to tube and light rails that connect well to other areas.

What do you want from an area. Vibrant nightclubs? Good schools? Big gardens? Excellent takeaways?

Old 03-25-2014, 03:32 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,500 times
Mv2london, I will be amazed if this company can get you a work visa to be a web developer. That's not on the UK occupation shortage list which means they will have to prove they could not find anyone suitable in the whole of the European Union. Are you sure this is not a scam? Have they asked you for money? Have you had a face-to-face interview? Did you find them or did they find you?

Old 03-26-2014, 05:58 AM

Hello Brontosaruus, thank you for the reply and also the concern.

It's definitely not a scam. I had a few interviews already done. No money hear. If you have read my previous posts/replies, I have lived in the US and know how some recruiters can trick you. I have done my research and this company is a genuine one.

I feel from where they recruit doesn't matter if you have the skills that particular job/company wants.

But, I will have my eyes open if incase any such happens. Will be the first to complain. Thanks

Old 03-26-2014, 07:07 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,500 times
OK- sounds like they are not scammers but they might be clueless about immigration laws if they are a new start-up. I would check to see if they are on this list otherwise they can't employ you. https://www.gov.uk/government/public...onsors-workers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London