Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 06:31 PM

3 posts, read 3,699 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be moving from NYC to London around yearend and will stay there for the foreseeable future.

We are looking for suggestions on how to integrate in the city and build a lively social circle, with a good mix of local and foreign friends. We’d welcome you suggestions on what neighborhoods would suit us best, and on how to get to know the locals (e.g. activities, clubs, etc.)

Here is some info about ourselves to narrow down the request:

- We are 30 yr old, no kids now but that will likely change in the next few years
- Currently we live in the East Village / LES area, and love the variety of restaurants and bars
- I lived in London for a few months at a time in the past, and while I have quite a few friends there only a couple are “locals” (i.e. mostly expats from EU / US. Also, most of my colleagues will be expats)
- I will be working in St. James, and would like to keep the morning commute to ~30min door to door
- We are looking for a 1 to 2bd flat, at around GBP2,000 pcm. Could go higher if needed but would prefer to stick to the budget

The priority for us is to actually “settle-in” rather than live as expats. This means that we are willing to step out of our comfort zoneto get to know people. Suggestions welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 02:04 AM

296 posts, read 469,452 times
£2000 per mo could get you a generous one bedroom or reasonable two bedroom near to a tube station along the south bank, which may be to your liking. Very vibrant, though a development hub with risk of rising rent prices in the coming years. A riverside apartment may cost you in excess of 2400 per month, though you may get lucky and find one for cheaper.

Property to rent in South Bank - Flats & houses to rent in South Bank - Zoopla Mobile

St James's is a beautiful area.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:28 AM

16,674 posts, read 17,444,965 times
St James is one of my favourite areas of London.

What hobbies or interests do you have that may enable you to integrate into the community?

Old 06-24-2014, 01:11 PM

3 posts, read 3,699 times
Thanks guys. I don't know the South Bank all that well, except for the area surrounding Battersea Park (feels like a sleeping community) and the area around More London (not very "neighborhoody"). To what areas are you referring?

So far we have been thinking about Islington / Clerkenwell, Camden / Primrose Hill, and Pimlico (really only for proximity to work). Any feedback on these areas (i.e. are any of the expat enclaves)?

We have plenty of hobbies, especially related to the outdoors, but found it hard to meet people that way in the past. I'd be interested in picking up squash though (any tips on beginners leagues welcome). Looking into gyms and pools we came across the Lansdowne Club, and were wondering if this kind places is a reasonable avenue to get integrated or they are filled with snobs and wannabe-royals.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:01 AM

13 posts, read 18,235 times
I am American and have been living in the city for 8 years. You will definitely find your niche eventually by doing what you said above, using your activities and hobbies to find groups of other people that have similar interests. You could join meet up groups (or you and your partner could start your own group) , or if you are religious church is a very good way to mix and get to know others within your community. From what you've posted you are on the right track. Whatever part of London you decide on, you will eventually build a network and make friends.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:56 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,025,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfg83 View Post
So far we have been thinking about Islington / Clerkenwell, Camden / Primrose Hill, and Pimlico (really .
As a native Londoner, I'd say they're all good areas. Pimlico would put you closest to work, but none are distant. Re meeting people, hardly unique to London, but I'd say meetup.com is pretty good.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:43 AM

872 posts, read 1,386,150 times
Pimlico puts you within walking distance of the West End/St James's as well as the shopping hubs in Kensington and Chelsea. Aside from the tube, the 24 bus will ferry you to and from Trafalgar Square, just next door to St James's.

For physical convenience, that would be your best bet.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:47 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,632 times
Not so fast. Residence in Pimlico has special requirements: Passport to Pimlico (1949) - IMDb

Old 06-26-2014, 09:09 AM

16,674 posts, read 17,444,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontosaurus View Post
Not so fast. Residence in Pimlico has special requirements: Passport to Pimlico (1949) - IMDb
Excellent point!

Old 06-27-2014, 12:52 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,476,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontosaurus View Post
LOVE that movie . I wish AMC or TMC would have a week or month of showing classic British films from the 1940s - 1960s. We made some good ones back then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London