Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 09:27 PM

326 posts, read 471,388 times

Advertisements

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27360032

The most billionaires per capita. why ? I mean, it doesn't have the lowest tax, hasn't got the most economic freedom, its in HUGE amounts of debt, it doesn't have this, it doesn't have that.. etc etc. there are plenty of countries that would be far better suited for Billionaires. What is attracting billionaires to Britain, London specifically ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 11:02 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,821,176 times
It's an amazing City to live in, especially if you're rich.

Simple.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:39 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,828,516 times
Anywhere is amazing and will welcome you if you are rich

Old 05-13-2014, 11:40 PM

47 posts, read 66,054 times
Because

(a) London is a great city, one of the best in the world.
(b) They are British and want to live in Britain? Where else would they live? Manchester?

America has around 500 billionaires, but America has so many big cities so they're more spread after the big concentration in New York which I think has the most in the world? Or Moscow? Do you go to the America forums and ask them why America has so many billionaires? Why would they live in the States? America has high crime, sluggish growth, has high taxes, seems to be full of crazy gun obsessed people, low social mobility, is nearly bankrupt, etc. Why not ask them that?

Old 05-14-2014, 12:16 AM

143 posts, read 188,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke of windsor View Post
Because

(a) London is a great city, one of the best in the world.
(b) They are British and want to live in Britain? Where else would they live? Manchester?

America has around 500 billionaires, but America has so many big cities so they're more spread after the big concentration in New York which I think has the most in the world? Or Moscow? Do you go to the America forums and ask them why America has so many billionaires? Why would they live in the States? America has high crime, sluggish growth, has high taxes, seems to be full of crazy gun obsessed people, low social mobility, is nearly bankrupt, etc. Why not ask them that?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ These questions will hit some raw nerves to be the least.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:51 AM

872 posts, read 1,386,150 times
Some of the palatial opulence here in Central London, hidden to the general public, is truly jaw-dropping, even when compared to the aggregate old money wealth of places like the Upper East Side in Manhattan.

More than any global city in its category, you find services, amenities, entertainment and cultural events that are specifically geared towards those in the ultra-high net worth bracket. And it's not confined to stuffy old institutions and gentlemen's clubs, but sweepingly modern venues from the Platinum Triangle to the City.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:14 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,166,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentry12 View Post
BBC News - 'Rich List' counts more than 100 UK billionaires

The most billionaires per capita. why ? I mean, it doesn't have the lowest tax, hasn't got the most economic freedom, its in HUGE amounts of debt, it doesn't have this, it doesn't have that.. etc etc. there are plenty of countries that would be far better suited for Billionaires. What is attracting billionaires to Britain, London specifically ?

The Sunday Times Rich List is published this Sunday.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:19 AM

517 posts, read 1,705,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentry12 View Post
BBC News - 'Rich List' counts more than 100 UK billionaires

London has a raging property market that major investors love. Billionaires are going to have huge property portfolios. Additionally the tax they'll pay on such property is very favourable compared to elsewhere.

London has also always been a haven for people looking for "asylum" or "safety". You'll find many oligarchs from Russia settling in London. Oil rich sheikhs have also traditionally favoured London, because it caters so well to the rich.

When you consider London is also perhaps the busiest financial market and business hub in the world.... then you get the picture. So it's more about money than love for a city.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:59 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
I'm glad I'm not a young adult living in London - the possibility of 'making it big' () in the capital doesn't really outweigh the extortionate cost of living. London is a fantastic city - but it has a lot of issues to overcome.. unemployment is still above the national average and over 30% of children live in poverty - all alongside 72 billionaires and god-knows how many millionaires.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:22 AM

517 posts, read 1,705,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I'm glad I'm not a young adult living in London - the possibility of 'making it big' () in the capital doesn't really outweigh the extortionate cost of living. London is a fantastic city - but it has a lot of issues to overcome.. unemployment is still above the national average and over 30% of children live in poverty - all alongside 72 billionaires and god-knows how many millionaires.
Totally agree with you.

I have to stay in greater London for the time being due to work. But the first opportunity I get to leave I'm taking it. Property is stupidly expensive and while London is a great place to visit, it's a horrible place to live if you aren't wealthy. It's hard enough for me in my 40's, so I can only imagine how tough it is for kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London