Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 03:16 PM

2,737 posts, read 3,165,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
*sigh* I was referring to the guy who believed it's easy to keep track of all the tourists in Europe because of the visa regime. That might true for those tourists that are going to the UK, but not for those that are going somewhere else.. I'm well aware of the fact that the UK is not part of Schengen.
I am not really that concerned in respect of the rest of Europe and to be honest I am not that bothered about who has the most tourists unlike certain French forum members who seem to be having a good cry about it. The French get far too emotional, it's a good job us Brits have a bit more of a steely resolve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 03:17 PM

545 posts, read 866,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
We operate a full border system and are not part of the Schengen Agreement, we can therefore request information on all people coming in to and leaving the UK. The figures I quoted were from the International Passenger Survey (IPS) and were also quoted in the National Press, although we also operate full passport checks and have very modern border control computer systems.

Entering the UK -Border Control

lInternational Passenger Survey (IPS)

London welcomes more tourists than ever before, as record-breaking 16.8 MILLION flock to the capital | Mail Online

It's not about London.. It's about how could someone know London have more tourists than Paris or any Schengen city if you can't keep track of European tourists in the Schengen area.
They maybe have a way to count those tourists, or estimate. I was interested in how they do such thing.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:19 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
no way!!

Old 05-13-2014, 03:19 PM

2,737 posts, read 3,165,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedlaRoche View Post
It's not about London.. It's about how could someone know London have more tourists than Paris or any Schengen city if you can't keep track of European tourists in the Schengen area.
They maybe have a way to count those tourists, or estimate. I was interested in how they do such thing.
If you can't keep track of people then I suggest you do something about it in an age of international terrorism, just glad we are not part of the Schengen Agreement if that's the case.

Either way London is a great city and very well visited according to our more accurate figures.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:20 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
I was really talking about London Mac, however I agree totally in respect of Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.
I thought UK

Old 05-13-2014, 03:31 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedlaRoche View Post
Just a question. How do they country Europeans tourists ? It's not like they have to be registered anywhere.
Hotels ? But what about Airbnb, friends hosts, hotels outside the city, etc ?
Yes, hotels and all other accommodations. People living at friends' are naturally unregistered. Hotels in the immediate region is registered as "city visitor", maybe excluding airport hotels.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:08 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,846 times
London is an awesome city. My second favourite city in the world after Amsterdam.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:19 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
I thought it was Bangkok?

Most Visited Cities In The World 2013 - In Photos: Most Visited Cities In The World 2013 - Forbes

Anyway I, like many Australians, was one of those visitors to London last year.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:39 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I thought it was Bangkok?

Most Visited Cities In The World 2013 - In Photos: Most Visited Cities In The World 2013 - Forbes

Anyway I, like many Australians, was one of those visitors to London last year.

I guess it depends on what you read! Personally, I love Bangkok. It's am awesome city with so much to experience. Paris had always been the most visited and haven't released the 2013 numbers, so as usual, I would say this fits in nicely with Britain's insecurity complex and its citizens need to feel relevant..

Old 05-14-2014, 02:25 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,806 times
Britain's insecurity complex? I thought we were among the most arrogant/snobbish etc according to another thread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London