Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 07:47 AM

504 posts, read 465,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post
Agreed. The city is in a terrible state.
NYC is and always has had a very "lived in" look. It's the very epitome of shabby chic. It would not be the same if it were immaculate. I think I preferred 42nd St before they cleaned it up.

Quote:

Say what you like about Bloomberg, but he was clearly the better mayor compared to the current incumbent.

London is investing into sparkling new pavements and infrastructure, along with a panorama of new construction zones. All the DDIs in NYC seem to go into building those absurdly ugly, skinny skyscrapers which look like industrial chimneys from a distance.
(coughs)

https://twitter.com/architectsjrnal/...06322507476992
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 07:54 AM

531 posts, read 594,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640TAG View Post
NYC is and always has had a very "lived in" look. It's the very epitome of shabby chic. It would not be the same if it were immaculate. I think I preferred 42nd St before they cleaned it up.

(coughs)

https://twitter.com/architectsjrnal/...06322507476992
"Lived in". I like it. An interesting new euphemism for "cesspit".

I'm among those who prefer the new 22 Bishopsgate to the old design, and, more to the point, it's not pencil thin.

Last edited by Noggin of Rum; 11-17-2015 at 08:25 AM..

Old 11-17-2015, 08:06 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,427,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Central London and parts of Central New York share some development patterns that are similar (width of sidewalks, width of arteries, wall-to-wall build, dual CBDs, boroughs, so on and so forth).
Wall-to-wall build is a feature the centre of any city deserving of that name in the traditional sense.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:22 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
Wall-to-wall build is a feature the centre of any city deserving of that name in the traditional sense.
The wall-to-wall aesthetic in some of Central London remind me of parts of Manhattan, particularly the midrise neighborhoods like SoHo or Chelsea.

Every urban city has wall-to-wall build, but they don't necessarily share the same sense in the aesthetics.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:34 AM

225 posts, read 216,330 times
I think Flatiron, parts of BPC, and the Museum Mile/Central Park east would be the best areas of Manhattan to compare with Central London in terms of aesthetics and level of cleanliness. That is bearing in mind Central London has far better roads and sidewalks.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:12 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not the Maginot Line View Post
I think Flatiron, parts of BPC, and the Museum Mile/Central Park east would be the best areas of Manhattan to compare with Central London in terms of aesthetics and level of cleanliness. That is bearing in mind Central London has far better roads and sidewalks.
Yes!

The Flatiron District was the place that I had in mind when I made the wall-to-wall statement. I agree with your post completely.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:48 PM

504 posts, read 465,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Yes!

The Flatiron District was the place that I had in mind when I made the wall-to-wall statement. I agree with your post completely.
The Flatiron is exquisite beyond words, but I don't see it as very London.

If you want an American city that is reminiscent of prosaic, residential London then Baltimore is the place. Also similar to many northern UK cities, with its rowhouses.

I've never been, but am planning a holiday next late-summer. Fly to BWI, train to DC for 3 night, then Baltimore 3 nights, then Philly, and a week in NYC (need my fix). Fly to Chicago for 3 nights and back home.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:08 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640TAG View Post
The Flatiron is exquisite beyond words, but I don't see it as very London.

If you want an American city that is reminiscent of prosaic, residential London then Baltimore is the place. Also similar to many northern UK cities, with its rowhouses.

I've never been, but am planning a holiday next late-summer. Fly to BWI, train to DC for 3 night, then Baltimore 3 nights, then Philly, and a week in NYC (need my fix). Fly to Chicago for 3 nights and back home.
Hey, just let us know when you are going to get here. I'm pretty sure some Baltimore Forum folks will show you around (the good, the bad, and the ugly.) At least I will.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:41 PM

905 posts, read 790,579 times
No, not in the least.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:12 PM

225 posts, read 216,330 times
London prosaic and residential? Maybe in the 1980s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London