Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2016, 02:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,692 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have been offered a job in London and I need to work out the accommodation all by myself.

I have been doing a ton of research on the internet and will probably try to share a room in or as close to Zones 1-2 as possible.

But what I want to know is this... how do people get a foot in the door in London re accommodation? I was planning to find a place in a hostel, with a single room. There are quite a few hostels, although the problem is sometimes they can only give you notice of FIVE DAYS before a vacancy comes up...

I am terrified I will end up staying in a small hotel, racking up the bills and not being able to find a room/flat of my own, getting more and more stressed...

So basically my question is this: is there accommodation you can book for under £1000 a month (and by book, I mean not be told they are sold out) just to give you some breathing space on your first month, while you look for something better??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 03:01 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
I've seen room for rent around GBP 288 on rightmove for short term let. Some don't have minimum stay. You can stay for a week.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:52 PM

296 posts, read 260,121 times
Quote:
So basically my question is this: is there accommodation you can book for under £1000 a month
Huh? You have answered your own question in your 2nd line.
Quote:
and will probably try to share a room in or as close to Zones 1-2
Of course you can. You just need to make sure you are booking your room from a reputable source. Do not pay any deposit untill you are 100% sure it's legit.

You will not find a flat in 1 & 2 at that price, they start at around £2000 a month plus bills, see link below for the type of room & ad' you should look for.

Good luck

'~Very Cosy Double Room Notting Hill' Room to Rent from SpareRoom

Old 02-09-2016, 03:25 AM

2 posts, read 1,692 times
Thanks for the replies, but I am asking, I repeat, about "just to give you some breathing space on your first month, while you look for something better??"

I am in the States right now. I know all these sites. But I cannot answer a small ad from the States! So what is the best option for my first month?

I am on Spare Room already (each ad gets 100 views and 20 "contacts" in the first five minutes). And all the rest. But I want something I can book for a month or at least a fortnight from the States. Like a reputable hostel or cheap hotel...

Old 02-09-2016, 09:30 AM

51 posts, read 85,166 times
Have you had a look on Airbnb ?

I did a quick search for entire home/flat in London under $51 a night and got a ton of hits.

Come back with a shortlist and we can give advice on the neighbourhood etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London