Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 05:43 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,786,783 times

Advertisements

I have heard much about the London transportation system and when I come I would like to use it because I do not wish to drive (I cannot get used to driving on the opposite side of the car and the wrong way down the road that easily).
Therefore I am very interested in making extensive usage of the Underground as well as the double decked tour buses if they still have them to see the sites including Big Ben, The Eye, the bridges and the Royal sites.
But I also want to go to a few places normal tourist don't go including maybe a pub in a working class blue collar part of London where I can sit and get a feel for how the everyday working man in England lives his life and see where he shops, eats, lives and works.
Is all this possible to do without having to drive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 12:30 AM

339 posts, read 1,263,252 times
Everything you state is totally possible, apart from the pub thing, as likely as not you will be killed to death by muggers with knives and your possessions stolen and sold for the muggers to buy bigger knives with kevlar handles and flashing strobe lights.
(Joke)

Should all be perfectly possible.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:24 AM

15,875 posts, read 21,469,855 times
I can't imagine that a tourist would ever drive in London rather than take the Tube! You'll be fine. Just make sure you have alternate Tube routes or stops to go to in case your line is closed. They tend to close down a few lines every weekend for maintenance and while there's normally an alternative to get to ever stop, it can be annoying for a tourist who isn't expecting it.

I've been here 2 months and still on the search for a good "local" pub so tell me if you find one!

Old 02-23-2009, 02:58 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,314,482 times
I totally agree with collins. If you are serious about your pubs I recommend these two sites.

BITE # pubs and bars - beerintheevening.com
Fancyapint? - the guide to pubs in Britain. Your comprehensive guide to pubs covering London pubs and now pubs in the UK

I'm more familiar with a few pubs in North London...Islington, Camden, Hampstead and a few in East London. If you are anywhere near Picadilly or seeing a show along Shaftesbury Avenue, may I recommend "The Captains Cabin".

Old 02-23-2009, 10:04 AM

337 posts, read 794,395 times
If they still have them, you can buy a little map for 1-2 ₤ in a little vending machine. They are usually at most of the train stations. Map opens up on one side with the Underground and a surface map on the other. Makes getting around pretty easy.

Last edited by Augustabuckeye; 02-23-2009 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-23-2009, 12:32 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,325,338 times
I imagine the cor blimey cockney geezer you are hoping to share a pint with long since left the capital for an Essex or Kent new town. In their place you will more likely find an immigrant, or the metropolitan elite dripping in money. Sorry to burst your bubble. The tube works fine, if a little expensive and overcrowded, while the buses now give free travel to kids who use the top deck as rowdy youth clubs. For the real English experience I suggest a provincial town, or a football match.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:47 PM

Wow! I did not know there were not many blue collar workers in London! I did look at the underground and it looks like Picadilly and District are the main lines I will be using. It also said something about a "oyster card"- is that something like the electronic pad swipe cards we use on the MARTA subways here? Also the fares are a bit confusing- I was hoping to just buy a weekly unlimited pass or something like that.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsl View Post
Everything you state is totally possible, apart from the pub thing, as likely as not you will be killed to death by muggers with knives and your possessions stolen and sold for the muggers to buy bigger knives with kevlar handles and flashing strobe lights.
(Joke)

Should all be perfectly possible.
Thanks!! Can't be anymore dangerous than the subway here in Atlanta where muggers, thugs and loonies ply their arts and regular citizens legally carry pistols and plug half the passengers trying to stop a cell phone thief or purse snatcher!

Old 02-23-2009, 05:26 PM

The thing that really surprised me is that it seems that there is no transportation in London after midnight. Does everybody go to bed early there? What time do the pubs close?

Old 02-23-2009, 06:41 PM

15,875 posts, read 21,469,855 times
The tube closes close to midnight but the night buses run all night and serve central London well. You could certainly ask the person at the desk how to get back. Just stick to the bottom deck- the top deck gets iffy at night.

I've never taken the MARTA (my suburb is too far out :P) but I'd assume oyster cards are similar to any system in Atlanta. I have a student Oyster card that I had to apply for, but I believe you can buy a normal Oyster card at a corner shop. Someone correct me if that's wrong. You can certainly buy a weekly pass from the ticket machines in any station, it's just a bit pricier without an Oyster card (which you would preload the weekly pass onto as well).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London