Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 06:42 PM

46 posts, read 22,652 times

Advertisements

good, bad, great, terrible, mediocre.

Life is what you make it.

I hate the taxes, but you don't see WHY the taxes are high.
I hate the commute, but you dont see WHY the commute is poor.

In other words, if you bite the pain and realize that the quicker you sacrifice some time in your life, the better it would be for you later on when the same exact person is making the same decision as you, just later in the time spectrum.

Everything you guys ever felt, the pain, the joy, the everything, has already been lived. If you realize that you are not free in your will and take action now, you will suffer a bit, but you will suffer much less than the group of people trying to figure out what place is the best to live in.

YES, quality of life is better everywhere else, but you know what that means? When you are 50 and have 5 homes payed off, you can sell them to the same band of idiots that will end up buying them JUST like you did yourself earlier on (or are about to).

Be the idiot, wait a bit, work hard, be smart, and sell the dump you bought back at a higher price, whether it be a crappy small home, or a dying business. It doesn't matter.

Life isn't the same as it was a long time ago, but if you spend your entire life trying to fix the world's problems, you will be ran to the ground. Suck it up, make a bad decision, and borrow from the happiness of others from the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 06:05 AM

34,135 posts, read 47,363,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsenuh View Post
good, bad, great, terrible, mediocre.

Life is what you make it.

I hate the taxes, but you don't see WHY the taxes are high.
I hate the commute, but you dont see WHY the commute is poor.

In other words, if you bite the pain and realize that the quicker you sacrifice some time in your life, the better it would be for you later on when the same exact person is making the same decision as you, just later in the time spectrum.

Everything you guys ever felt, the pain, the joy, the everything, has already been lived. If you realize that you are not free in your will and take action now, you will suffer a bit, but you will suffer much less than the group of people trying to figure out what place is the best to live in.

YES, quality of life is better everywhere else, but you know what that means? When you are 50 and have 5 homes payed off, you can sell them to the same band of idiots that will end up buying them JUST like you did yourself earlier on (or are about to).

Be the idiot, wait a bit, work hard, be smart, and sell the dump you bought back at a higher price, whether it be a crappy small home, or a dying business. It doesn't matter.

Life isn't the same as it was a long time ago, but if you spend your entire life trying to fix the world's problems, you will be ran to the ground. Suck it up, make a bad decision, and borrow from the happiness of others from the future.
Most of them use their families as a scapegoat as to why they can't leave.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-24-2019, 06:14 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,545,303 times
1st world problems

Old 10-24-2019, 07:24 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,055,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Most of them use their families as a scapegoat as to why they can't leave.
LOL, that reminds me of the old comparison/saying: "You are stubborn, I am firm in my convictions." One person's valid reason is another's 'excuse', 'scapegoat', or 'delusion.' And vice versa.

I do have family here but that's not the reason I choose to stay on Long Island. If I wanted to move elsewhere, I would. If they chose to move elsewhere, I would still remain here. The only reason I mentioned "family" as a reason in the other thread is because I know quite a few people for whom living near family trumps everything, and when another poster ignored that factor in one of their statements, I wanted to bring that reason up.

But I really don't understand why some people feel the need to disrespect others simply because of where they choose to live -- calling them 'stupid', 'ignorant', 'clueless', or worse. What possible difference can their preferences make to anyone else but them? Or the reason (whether actual or assumed) for those preferences?

I live on Long Island because there are more things I like about living here, than things I don't like. Period. End of story. In fact there's only one thing I don't like: the high property taxes. But that ONE thing is not outweighed by the other factors, and the only judge of how much weight to give all those factors is me.

However, I guess some people just have a driving need to feel superior to others or to play armchair psychologist by ascribing motives willy-nilly. This isn't directed at anyone in particular, because we all see it every day in this forum from multiple quarters. Tolerance and respect are in short supply in general lately, here and elsewhere. Maybe it's a sign of the current political times, but it's also unnecessary and sometimes downright ugly.

Old 10-24-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
LOL, that reminds me of the old comparison/saying: "You are stubborn, I am firm in my convictions." One person's valid reason is another's 'excuse', 'scapegoat', or 'delusion.' And vice versa.

I do have family here but that's not the reason I choose to stay on Long Island. If I wanted to move elsewhere, I would. If they chose to move elsewhere, I would still remain here. The only reason I mentioned "family" as a reason in the other thread is because I know quite a few people for whom living near family trumps everything, and when another poster ignored that factor in one of their statements, I wanted to bring that reason up.

But I really don't understand why some people feel the need to disrespect others simply because of where they choose to live -- calling them 'stupid', 'ignorant', 'clueless', or worse. What possible difference can their preferences make to anyone else but them? Or the reason (whether actual or assumed) for those preferences?

I live on Long Island because there are more things I like about living here, than things I don't like. Period. End of story. In fact there's only one thing I don't like: the high property taxes. But that ONE thing is not outweighed by the other factors, and the only judge of how much weight to give all those factors is me.

However, I guess some people just have a driving need to feel superior to others or to play armchair psychologist by ascribing motives willy-nilly. This isn't directed at anyone in particular, because we all see it every day in this forum from multiple quarters. Tolerance and respect are in short supply in general lately, here and elsewhere. Maybe it's a sign of the current political times, but it's also unnecessary and sometimes downright ugly.
My statement is based on what I've seen posted on this forum. A lot of people say "I stay because of family." Don't say that I'm coming up with this out of thin air.

The reason why I said people use it as a scapegoat is because I personally don't think family is the reason. It's hard to relocate. When I bought my co-op it cost me 5 figures to move 3 blocks away. I think money is the real issue why people don't leave, it's expensive to move. That's all I'm saying.

Old 10-24-2019, 08:07 AM

46 posts, read 22,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
My statement is based on what I've seen posted on this forum. A lot of people say "I stay because of family." Don't say that I'm coming up with this out of thin air.

The reason why I said people use it as a scapegoat is because I personally don't think family is the reason. It's hard to relocate. When I bought my co-op it cost me 5 figures to move 3 blocks away. I think money is the real issue why people don't leave, it's expensive to move. That's all I'm saying.
It's getting out of hand. I was referring to the population. Long island doesn't seem to have a very wise population, and thus a lot of investors, or want-to-be-rich poor people can take advantage of them.

In a normal society, high property taxes, long commute, high crime, etc. screams LEAVE, but people stay? Why? No, not the cash. Their is no cash here. What's here is real estate and investment, the best I've ever seen anywhere. Properties are ridiculously cheap.

It's easier than ever to invest in new york, especially long island. As to what the people get in return, in doesn't matter because they will easily be fooled into believing it's good, like "good" li schools, which suck by the way, but it's fine.

It's plato's cave, but a better one. In a normal society, people wouldn't accept 3k rent for a shack 1.5 hours away from their jobs, but if the people are dumb enough, they will be even happy to pay it!

Long island, nyc, new jersey, areModerator cut: even implied crude language is v the terms of service places to live, yet they are gifts that keep on giving. A pure money making machine at the expense of the middle and lower class.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 10-24-2019 at 02:25 PM..

Old 10-24-2019, 08:17 AM

5,300 posts, read 4,782,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
1st world problems
lol indeed!

Old 10-24-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsenuh View Post
It's getting out of hand. I was referring to the population. Long island doesn't seem to have a very wise population, and thus a lot of investors, or want-to-be-rich poor people can take advantage of them.

In a normal society, high property taxes, long commute, high crime, etc. screams LEAVE, but people stay? Why? No, not the cash. Their is no cash here. What's here is real estate and investment, the best I've ever seen anywhere. Properties are ridiculously cheap.

It's easier than ever to invest in new york, especially long island. As to what the people get in return, in doesn't matter because they will easily be fooled into believing it's good, like "good" li schools, which suck by the way, but it's fine.

It's plato's cave, but a better one. In a normal society, people wouldn't accept 3k rent for a shack 1.5 hours away from their jobs, but if the people are dumb enough, they will be even happy to pay it!

Long island, nyc, new jersey, are places to live, yet they are gifts that keep on giving. A pure money making machine at the expense of the middle and lower class.
They're going to call you a troll for speaking the truth, just be warned. All of the above is true. The schools are fantastic, yet most kids can't even afford to rent an apartment on LI once they graduate college if they wanted to, so what high-paying jobs are the schools prepping the kids for? The property taxes pay for inclusitivity, which ironically cannot be sustained by the ones who "promote" it, because they all work in NYC and bring the money to Nassau and Suffolk. Nassau and Suffolk don't generate business. Only true way around it is to legally claim your property as religious so you don't pay taxes.

https://www.newsday.com/business/lon...art-1.11701979

Not good when govt is one of the largest employers in Nassau County.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 10-24-2019 at 02:26 PM..

Old 10-24-2019, 09:03 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,055,755 times
Quote:
I never said that. Please re-read my post.

What I said was that in another thread, a poster started off with the statement that "The only reasons to stay on LI are: 1. schools for kids 2. your job has geographic restriction". I pointed out that proximity to family should not be ignored as a reason.

"Because of family" can cover many different scenarios. If you have an elderly parent who is living on their own and either doesn't need to or doesn't want to move to an assisted-living facility, and you are concerned enough about their general welfare to not want to be more than a half hour's drive away, is that not a reason?

Some grandparents are so emotionally attached to their grandkid(s) that the thought of not seeing them at least once a week is intolerable. Is that not a reason? I personally know three grandparents who are exactly like this. If their kids moved away, they'd move too. I don't happen to share that sentiment but I respect the fact that these other grandparents do.

I have two friends (both in their sixties) who are living in a part of California that they absolutely hate being in (because the demographics have changed bigtime since they first moved there) but in each case their spouse is so adamant about staying put, that the choice is between Stay Where I Hate It , or divorce. If you think relocating is stressful, try going through a nasty divorce sometime. That, too, qualifies as "staying because of family."

I do agree, it is hard to relocate. But I stand by my assertion that everyone has the right to make that particular cost/benefit (and I'm not only talking about money) analysis for themselves. Just like everyone's priorities as to how to spend their discretionary income is different, and nobody is "wrong" or "right" as to why. No justification (or judgments) needed or wanted.

Old 10-24-2019, 09:03 AM

10 years ago there used to be a lot of great home renovation threads on the LI forum, now everything is "what's cheapest?"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: