Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 10:13 PM

456 posts, read 1,122,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Among other things:

Do provide kids with a working knowledge of the political geography and local gov't organization; or, in other words, a working knowledge of local civics.

Do not indoctrinate in the secular-liberal-progressive ideology.
I'll need your help with the first one!! I'm going to read your links. That will be a goal. I have them do a vector map assignment where they use a map of the USA but it would be interesting to do this for Long Island!!

Well, I'm hard right here so there won't be any liberal/progressive stuff coming from me!!! But, I don't go near politics anyway in class and don't have to anyway based on the subject matter. (I thought McCain was too liberal!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachgns View Post
i loved math & physics! My favorite teacher of all time was my physics teacher. My love of physics ended after a few weeks of college as a physics major. First semester of college: Physics, chemistry, calculus & literature.
I changed to bio - couldn't handle the heavy math needed in physics.
A in lit - other classes , well, i managed to pass. :-)
yay!!

Old 06-24-2010, 11:29 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times
I too would like to see more problem solving skills from kids and less memorize and spit out.

Another thing to keep kids interested in sciences is to apply real world applications. I'll assume high school physics so to keep the boys occupied and thinking all you really need to do is work in cars to everything. Females, no clue from me. Theres lots of stuff that can be interfaced between airflow in engines, friction coefficients with tires, body roll vs. spring rates, etc. My HS physics teacher always had a great little 5 minute experiment for the equations he was teaching.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:23 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
I am an adult who returned to school last year. From what I see in the classroom ; Please teach respect. Oh my gosh, I dont know how many kids just walk out of the classroom, dont do the homework, couldnt care less only that they pass the class ; they come in late, 3/4 of the way thru the class.

From a parent perspective, repsect is an old fashioned word but one we need to get back to. Please teach the kids that there are consequences for their actions. And listen. Listen but say nothing in class.
Thanks for caring

Old 06-25-2010, 07:29 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,662,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBA View Post
I just happen to teach physics. Since I'm a lawyer, I should be an English or a social studies teacher theoretically. But, one of the main reasons I got into this was to do something useful. I think the character part is more important than any physics I could ever teach the kids. Realistically, who cares if they can calculate the centripetal force of a 1900 kg car moving around a turn with a radius of curvature of 10 m...LOL??!?!? Now, they do need to know that in order to turn your car needs a certain amount of friction and if the road is wet, there is less friction, and based on inertia, your car will continue forward and not turn! That's nice useful knowledge!!

But, anyway, I think if we can teach them values that will help them in life and reinforce what goes on at home, that this is even more important than the subject matter. I'm just wondering from parents or even from employers, what kids today should be able to do and what they are lacking. :O)
Your scaring me. From your obvious disdain for the subject why are you teaching Physics? I don't think you can impart a love for the subject or inspire your charges given your comments above.

More importantly, it is not your job to teach values to 11th and 12th graders just stick to the subject matter.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:32 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Default Wonderful story about teacher going above and beyond the call of duty ...

Students go bald in solidarity with leukemia patient, 8

Quote:
When the cancer returned and his treatments resumed, the hair again began falling out of Jake Amato's head.

His best friend and his second-grade teacher said they were going to shave their heads in solidarity with Jake, 8, who has been battling leukemia for four years

Hecht, 57, and about 20 of Jake's schoolmates at Northside Elementary in Farmingdale cut their hair and shaved their heads in honor of Jake, who returned to school Thursday - three weeks after beginning another round of radiation and chemotherapy to battle the disease that has spread to his optic nerves and bone marrow.
Just wanted to compliment the teacher for leading the class in this extraordinary effort for the student with leukemia.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:40 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,043,336 times
When teaching Physics, be sure to begin the semester talking about the Frictionless Puck! That phrase seems to get the attention of a class full of teenagers! :-)

Old 06-25-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Students go bald in solidarity with leukemia patient, 8

Just wanted to compliment the teacher for leading the class in this extraordinary effort for the student with leukemia.
There are some good people in this world.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
Your scaring me. From your obvious disdain for the subject why are you teaching Physics? I don't think you can impart a love for the subject or inspire your charges given your comments above.

More importantly, it is not your job to teach values to 11th and 12th graders just stick to the subject matter.
Oh boy..here we go...

Old 06-25-2010, 09:48 AM

570 posts, read 1,214,655 times
People always get scared when someone mentions teaching "values" to their children! It's not a liberal thing, it's a human thing. We teach core values to our preschoolers, responsibility, respect, caring and honesty. All those values can be connected to the classroom and beyond. Unfortunately, some kids aren't getting those values at home, and they are so important for future success!

I agree that attaching some "real life" connections to physics can make the course more meaningful and interesting. And kids always love experiments. Do the Rube Goldberg thing - have your students come up with some projects along that vein - it would be fun as well as educational.

Math is usually the stickler. Perhaps your extra help time, if you have it, can be used for brush-ups in the math they need for physics.

Good luck and have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island