Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 02:16 PM

827 posts, read 3,095,191 times

Advertisements

I moved out to Kings Park in November and never really had any problem with morning traffic on the Northern heading west from Exit 45 to Exit 37A for my morning commute to work. Lately the commute has been horrible! I know they are doing roadwork at night heading east and west but I can't imagine night work holding up all the traffic in the morning. No matter what time I leave my house I just can't get to work by 9:00 AM b/c of all the traffic at different exits. Is it just me thinking this in my head or has anyone else noticed this? I know normally in the summertime, traffic is usually lighter however it seems to me that the winter time traffic was much lighter in my case.

I'm curious to get your opinions if you take the Northern from Vets Highway heading West into Nassau County what your thoughts are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 07:30 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,237,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
I moved out to Kings Park in November and never really had any problem with morning traffic on the Northern heading west from Exit 45 to Exit 37A for my morning commute to work. Lately the commute has been horrible! I know they are doing roadwork at night heading east and west but I can't imagine night work holding up all the traffic in the morning. No matter what time I leave my house I just can't get to work by 9:00 AM b/c of all the traffic at different exits. Is it just me thinking this in my head or has anyone else noticed this? I know normally in the summertime, traffic is usually lighter however it seems to me that the winter time traffic was much lighter in my case.

I'm curious to get your opinions if you take the Northern from Vets Highway heading West into Nassau County what your thoughts are.
yes, i agree with you .. I take the northern state from 231 west to i-495 in the am , have been for years .. this summer is by far the worst morning commute, particularly Tuesday-Thursdays. I'm not too sure it's the paving work they have been doing (although everyone slows down when the pavement changes from smooth to grooved) ... it seems like there is much more volume than in previous summers, particularly if I get on at the 231 entrance after 8am.
Sometimes I take Jericho Tpke (25) instead, the lights are usually agreeable (you will stop for a few minutes at 110 though) ... it's slower than the pkwy on a good day, but faster than the pkwy on a bad day, which there have been plenty of lately !

Old 08-05-2010, 08:12 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
I usually leave my girlfriends house, in Rocky Point, (yes, that famous place on LI), at around 4am on Sunday morning to return to Massapequa Pk. Usually, at that time, there is very little traffic on the road but this year is different. Traffic at that early hour has been heavier.

Could it be people like me who are out East for the weekend who are heading home early in the morning? That may account for Monday traffic being a little heavier but I wouldnt think it would affect the Tues-Thurs traffic.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
yes, i agree with you .. I take the northern state from 231 west to i-495 in the am , have been for years .. this summer is by far the worst morning commute, particularly Tuesday-Thursdays. I'm not too sure it's the paving work they have been doing (although everyone slows down when the pavement changes from smooth to grooved) ... it seems like there is much more volume than in previous summers, particularly if I get on at the 231 entrance after 8am.
Sometimes I take Jericho Tpke (25) instead, the lights are usually agreeable (you will stop for a few minutes at 110 though) ... it's slower than the pkwy on a good day, but faster than the pkwy on a bad day, which there have been plenty of lately !
I'm so happy someone else notices how bad it is. I thought I was going nuts b/c no matter how much earlier I try to leave my house, I just can't get to work by 9:00. It's insane! Since I take the Northern prior to the DPA exit, sometimes the traffic is slow even before that exit. BUT when we do get to exit 42 (dpa), the traffic is bad. I can't tell you how many times I've contemplated on getting off at an exit and taking Jericho Tpk but then I get worried it will take even longer. Two weeks ago I decided to take Pulaski Road since I live right off of that street. Well, let me tell you what a bad decision that was! Once I hit Huntington, I had no clue where I was and told myself if I just head south, I will hit Jericho Turnpike...well, I had no idea I was in the bad area of Huntington. I felt so lost over there (my car doesn't have a GPS system). I was in the area where there have been many gun shots, etc. going on lately.

Oh, I'm sure at 110 traffic is slow on Jericho. Although, it usually is slow by Route 110 on every highway you take on LI. LOL.

I was thinking that maybe the unemployed people have been able to find jobs and that's why the commute has gotten worse but I heard the job report and it seems to be worse these days so I guess I was wrong about that.

Anyhoo, thanks for the info on Jericho Turnpike. I may just have to start taking that as well.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I usually leave my girlfriends house, in Rocky Point, (yes, that famous place on LI), at around 4am on Sunday morning to return to Massapequa Pk. Usually, at that time, there is very little traffic on the road but this year is different. Traffic at that early hour has been heavier.

Could it be people like me who are out East for the weekend who are heading home early in the morning? That may account for Monday traffic being a little heavier but I wouldnt think it would affect the Tues-Thurs traffic.
I don't work on Monday's so I don't know if traffic on the Northern is lighter or heavier than Tues-Fri. I'm kind of hoping that when the road work is complete, traffic will be somewhat back to normal. Only time will tell. Also, the rocks hitting my car on the Northern are doing damage! I have to get my windshield fixed today b/c a rock blasted it the other day. I won't even take my nicer car on that road these days! Once the paving is done, that's when I will start driving it to work again.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:47 AM

939 posts, read 2,311,779 times
it's all because of the sign guy on the lie/110 ... people are switching to the nsp

Old 08-06-2010, 08:52 AM

86 posts, read 193,518 times
Illegal aliens + Illegal apartments + over building of housing = more traffic.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:41 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAmerican16 View Post
Illegal aliens + Illegal apartments + over building of housing = more traffic.
Lets try and stay on point as this was started as a thread about this particular summer....

...to the OP I agree, and alternate between both LIE and NSP dependent upon if I have the hybrid that morning or not. Last summer, and summer's prior I would have little issue skipping the HOV and hopping on the NSP because summer traffic was always lighter, so I agree.

Could be the economy is picking up a bit, and more people are back to work. To the other poster regarding the monday morning traffic, I have always felt that it is the east end crowd returning from the weekend. I can tell because the HOV lane is full on cars way nicer than mine on Monday mornings.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:41 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
you guys are brave for taking a 2-lane road... one broken down vehicle or accident and you are in for it, let alone just the volume problem.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:24 PM

176 posts, read 474,758 times
always at least one racist Batar$ that has to foul up a perfectly fine thread. I don't care anymore. I am gonna call them like I see them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island