Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 11:19 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,998 times

Advertisements

For those who often ask how much it costs to live on Long Island, your wait is over.
Apparently, the Fiscal Times asked BDO Seidman (tax accounting firm) to calculate the cost of living on $250K in five different locales including Huntington.

According to their analysis, a couple with two kids earning $250K would be out with a negative yearly cash flow of $585 after accounting for housing, groceries, child care, clothing and transportation and their ----DOG. Their total tax bill is: $77,074.

So for all those out there who think you are living large or are rich making $250K a year - the experts have proven, you are the middle class of America.

See the study at: thefiscaltimes.com/Issues/The-Economy/2010/12/07
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 11:37 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
For those who often ask how much it costs to live on Long Island, your wait is over.
Apparently, the Fiscal Times asked BDO Seidman (tax accounting firm) to calculate the cost of living on $250K in five different locales including Huntington.

According to their analysis, a couple with two kids earning $250K would be out with a negative yearly cash flow of $585 after accounting for housing, groceries, child care, clothing and transportation and their ----DOG. Their total tax bill is: $77,074.

So for all those out there who think you are living large or are rich making $250K a year - the experts have proven, you are the middle class of America.

Nobody told us to live on Long Island. Take your 250K and go live like a king in 90% of the country.

What housing price did they assume in these calculations, $1 million?

Old 12-08-2010, 01:15 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:

So those making 2.5 times the median income on Long Island are just middle class. sure.......

Old 12-08-2010, 01:46 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times
I could definitely see it.....been saying the same thing for the last couple of years Cops and teacher salaries are just that barely middle class. Move from the Island you'll be living in the upper-middle class That 2x the average doesn't mean anything in the real world!

Old 12-08-2010, 01:51 PM

325 posts, read 737,288 times
Quote:

While I couldn't agree more that a family making $250k isn't wealthy (a family making 1m in the metro area isn't "wealthy" either), this article has quite a skewed tone to it. I'm extremely skeptical of this "study" which is missing huge chunks of its methodology and data.

Some of the numbers here seem completely arbitrary:Some are grossly inflated: 4k annual for dental (with insurance)?10k for home "cleaning" and "maintenance" (otherwise known as housekeepers/landscapers/handymen)? 5k for "parking fees?" Some are ridiculously deflated to play up the frugality of our couple: $25 per week for take-out? Can you even feed a family of 4 McDonnald's with that? $2,400 for dinning out? For a couple that lives in Huntington? $3k for all holidays???

I'm sorry, but I know plenty of families with similar income who live in Huntington (and other parts of LI and the coasts) who are doing just fine - even affording things our hypothetical family "can't" like trips to Italy, country clubs, and BMW's.

Quote:
Except that they're not really in the red. Our hypothetical couple has been banking $41k annually! (33kfor retirement and $8k for college.) That's quite a bit of wealth they're accumulating. They're also paying off a home which obviously cost somewhere between 700-800k - not luxury, but not bad. It's not Learjets and villas wealth, but it's healthy upper-middle-class living. They're hardly scraping by. $4k = a pretty decent domestic family vacation. Give the couple 10-15 years - the kids will be grown, student loans gone, retirement savings will be +500k, and their income will likely be upwards of 500k. Dad can get his Benz and mom can get her 10 day trip to Provance. Give it 20-30 years and our couple can retire quite comfortably in the most exclusive sections of Hilton Head or Taos (or they can just stay in their lovely Huntington home).

Kind of insulting to the truly middle class family who really can't afford these things - no college money for the kids, no comfortable retirement, no new car, and increasingly NO HEALTH CARE.

I say tax my upper-middle-class ass. I can afford it.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:54 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
While I couldn't agree more that a family making $250k isn't wealthy (a family making 1m in the metro area isn't "wealthy" either), this article has quite a skewed tone to it. I'm extremely skeptical of this "study" which is missing huge chunks of its methodology and data.

Some of the numbers here seem completely arbitrary:Some are grossly inflated: 4k annual for dental (with insurance)?10k for home "cleaning" and "maintenance" (otherwise known as housekeepers/landscapers/handymen)? 5k for "parking fees?" Some are ridiculously deflated to play up the frugality of our couple: $25 per week for take-out? Can you even feed a family of 4 McDonnald's with that? $2,400 for dinning out? For a couple that lives in Huntington? $3k for all holidays???

I'm sorry, but I know plenty of families with similar income who live in Huntington (and other parts of LI and the coasts) who are doing just fine - even affording things our hypothetical family "can't" like trips to Italy, country clubs, and BMW's.

Except that they're not really in the red. Our hypothetical couple has been banking $41k annually! (33kfor retirement and $8k for college.) That's quite a bit of wealth they're accumulating. They're also paying off a home which obviously cost somewhere between 700-800k - not luxury, but not bad. It's not Learjets and villas wealth, but it's healthy upper-middle-class living. They're hardly scraping by. $4k = a pretty decent domestic family vacation. Give the couple 10-15 years - the kids will be grown, student loans gone, retirement savings will be +500k, and their income will likely be upwards of 500k. Dad can get his Benz and mom can get her 10 day trip to Provance. Give it 20-30 years and our couple can retire quite comfortably in the most exclusive sections of Hilton Head or Taos (or they can just stay in their lovely Huntington home).

Kind of insulting to the truly middle class family who really can't afford these things - no college money for the kids, no comfortable retirement, no new car, and increasingly NO HEALTH CARE.

I say tax my upper-middle-class ass. I can afford it.
I figured as much, thanks for confirming.

Unfortunately some Sean Hannity worshipping type will be here in 5 minutes posting again how this proves that we shouldn't raise taxes on folks making over 250K...despite the whole argument being summarily derailed by you.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:59 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post

Unfortunately some Sean Hannity worshipping type will be here in 5 minutes posting again how this proves that we shouldn't raise taxes on folks making over 250K...despite the whole argument being summarily derailed by you.
Aside from that, once you look at what the actual taxable income is after all the deductions they claim, they would no where near be impacted anyway.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:15 PM

325 posts, read 737,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post

...Sean Hannity...
...Speaking of rich Huntington residents.

No problem. I encourage everyone to read this "study" for themselves. My favorite part is the data table, which lists the family's "savings" as zero (not counting college or retirement). It really stands out if you scan it (which most people susceptible to this brand of "journalism" will do). It's only after you actually look at it closely that you see the family is banking just under the national median household income. Throw in some not-so-subtle anti-Obama rhetoric, and you've got one questionable piece of journalism.

It's in really bad taste when genuinely middle class Americans are struggling to save for retirement (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Middle-class-falls-short-on-rb-3681596988.html?x=0 - broken link).

(http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Middle-class-falls-short-on-rb-3681596988.html?x=0 - broken link)

Old 12-08-2010, 09:42 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
...Speaking of rich Huntington residents.

No problem. I encourage everyone to read this "study" for themselves. My favorite part is the data table, which lists the family's "savings" as zero (not counting college or retirement). It really stands out if you scan it (which most people susceptible to this brand of "journalism" will do). It's only after you actually look at it closely that you see the family is banking just under the national median household income. Throw in some not-so-subtle anti-Obama rhetoric, and you've got one questionable piece of journalism.

It's in really bad taste when genuinely middle class Americans are struggling to save for retirement (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Middle-class-falls-short-on-rb-3681596988.html?x=0 - broken link).

(http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Middle-class-falls-short-on-rb-3681596988.html?x=0 - broken link)
Forget about retirement, how about struggling to pay for general living.
As for quoting a Yahoo news release from Wells Fargo - that is rubbish journalism as well - 77% of respondents, well what was the size of the survey, 100, 1000, 100,000, was it across a subsection of the midwest, california, what have you states?

One thing about numbers, you can manipulate them pretty much anyway you want to backup the story you wish to portray.

BTW - Wells Fargo didn't put the story out based on the genorsity of their heart, they are interested in earning "fees" from people who will invest or obtain advice from them.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:58 PM

372 posts, read 740,615 times
Well if they would live within their means, they wouldnt have a problem. Live in a cheaper area and stop trying to look rich by buying a house you cant afford,and you'd have a lot of money to save.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island