Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 11:52 PM

17 posts, read 82,757 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone!

Long time lurker, first time poster here. (Well, I had an account a long time ago but for the city.)

Anyway, I am from Babylon, and all of my family lives here. After a divorce, I left Brooklyn and lived a few places before my uncle hooked me up with a cheap place to live in Copiague. My rent is probably about 40% below market, and as you can probably infer, I am a single parent.

I work at home. I do okay on my current low rent and I am better off then when I had a fancy marketing job in the city. But now my landlord needs the house back, and I need to find a place to live. Quel panic.

1.) Moving back in with my crazy mom is not really an option because she hates children. I'd be happy to give her a grand a month for one bedroom, but she doesn't like the idea of adult kids living at home, so that's out.

2.) I can only really comfortably afford $1000-1100 a month and I don't have paystubs, per se. I have a steady job and income, but not enough to afford more than that on paper.

3.) I can move upstate, but as a teleworker I would probably go "The Shining" crazy within a week or so. Plus, every one of my living family members lives in Babylon, and all my friends are here.

4.) I don't care where I live. I've been shocked and horrified by some of the posts here where people are so blatantly race and classist, even people whose identities are public knowledge and they're like, contractors. But even the less desirable areas of Long Island carry the same high rents.

5.) I lived in a "live/work" space in Newark for a while. If it were at all possible to find one of those around here (something that's rough and not neighborhood-y but with space to work) I would be pleased but I can't even begin to find out how to find one.

Is there any option for someone like me? All of my friends from high school are childless, and even the ones who do well financially live at home because of the horrible rental situation here. I don't want to go be alone somewhere since I am really close to my friends and family. I feel like that is my only option and it really sucks.

Does anyone have any leads/advice/information for me? It would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I'm pretty much open to anything. I can answer any questions and stuff you might have that can shed light. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 07:30 AM

184 posts, read 806,165 times
is the 1000-1100 a month including utilities?

Old 09-01-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeInLI View Post
is the 1000-1100 a month including utilities?
Ideally not but depending on the cost, I am likely to be able to swing them

Old 09-01-2010, 12:20 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartlypretty View Post
Anyway, I am from Babylon, and all of my family lives here. After a divorce, I left Brooklyn and lived a few places before my uncle hooked me up with a cheap place to live in Copiague. My rent is probably about 40% below market, and as you can probably infer, I am a single parent.

I work at home. I do okay on my current low rent and I am better off then when I had a fancy marketing job in the city. But now my landlord needs the house back, and I need to find a place to live. Quel panic.

1.) Moving back in with my crazy mom is not really an option because she hates children. I'd be happy to give her a grand a month for one bedroom, but she doesn't like the idea of adult kids living at home, so that's out.
How many children do you have living with you and how many bedrooms do you ideally want?

I am confused by your post. First you say you are a single parent. Then you say you would pay your mom $1K a month for just one bedroom but she "hates children" and "doesn't like the idea of adult children living at home" (???). Does that mean she hates adult children or just children in general?

If you only need a 1 bedroom apartment, you should be able to swing it on your stated budget, especially out in Suffolk County.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:41 PM

532 posts, read 1,270,797 times
Sounds like going out to central or eastern Suffolk would be a good fit. I'd bet you could find a reasonably priced rental if you're far enough out not to have to pay a premium for being close enough to commute to the city.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:33 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,582,103 times
Bless your heart. You may want to investigate somewhere down south because honestly we're paying for enough peoples housing already.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:44 PM

148 posts, read 475,566 times
I kind of agree with LongIslandCitizen..
but my opinion is to see if you can find a nanny position where you can bring your child... Or rent a decent sized house or apartment with a friend who will pick up the other half of the rent.

Go back to school for nursing or something lucrative.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:31 PM

592 posts, read 1,814,854 times
Have you gotten the local Pennysaver and Yankee Trader in your area on whatever day they are released so that you'll be one of the first to call about any apartment/house that interests you? Do you do the same as far as any local newspapers go? (I got my recent apartment on LI from an ad in our local "Times Beacon Record" newspaper and I'm only paying $795 for a one bedroom in a historic old house within walking distance to Long Island Sound.) Do you regularly check Craig's List? Do you regularly look at the rental section on MLSLI.com? At least one of these things should offer you at least some options to follow up on. I know they always have for us and our kids when we've needed apartments at various times. Good luck with your dilemma. I hope you're able to find something close to your family, but I don't see why the Babylon area should be ALL that expensive compared to some areas of LI. But then, I'm not from that area, so what do I know?

Old 09-01-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
How many children do you have living with you and how many bedrooms do you ideally want?
I have found no one will rent a one bedroom to three people.
Quote:
I am confused by your post. First you say you are a single parent. Then you say you would pay your mom $1K a month for just one bedroom but she "hates children" and "doesn't like the idea of adult children living at home" (???). Does that mean she hates adult children or just children in general?
Both? :lol:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
Sounds like going out to central or eastern Suffolk would be a good fit. I'd bet you could find a reasonably priced rental if you're far enough out not to have to pay a premium for being close enough to commute to the city.
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to uncover here. I am trying to learn about areas with no train stations or such to filter out commuter riff raff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Bless your heart. You may want to investigate somewhere down south because honestly we're paying for enough peoples housing already.
Wow. I haven't ever and do not seek any charity, but people with that kind of opinion are why Long Island is pretty much considered a cultureless wasteland of sad, petty people.

It is, though, a good thing when they let themselves be known. Pride goeth before a fall, you know. Hopefully no one in your family will ever be a single parent or struggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholebydesign View Post
I kind of agree with LongIslandCitizen..

Quote:
but my opinion is to see if you can find a nanny position where you can bring your child... Or rent a decent sized house or apartment with a friend who will pick up the other half of the rent.
I have an excellent job, just not one that is sufficient to afford a lot of the rentals in Suffolk. I live well and have no intention of switching my career so I can live by a bunch of entitled, xenophobic white people clinging to an image of Long Island that never existed, thank you very much.

Quote:
Go back to school for nursing or something lucrative.
While I appreciate the advice of taking on debt to change diapers and be at the whims of a constantly declining local healthcare system, I'm quite happy doing my job and I'm here by choice.

ETA: My salary is consistent with lots of entry level nurses. But I get to do it at home and without the added cost of a sitter. Why would I change that?

Old 09-01-2010, 03:01 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,163,762 times
Sending you a DM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island