Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 10:36 PM

14 posts, read 66,466 times

Advertisements

My D and her friend are looking at colleges in the NYC area and Hofstra is on both their lists. We are planning to come up soon to visit the school. We live several states away, so we can't just drop in or ride through the neighborhood to check it out ourselves.

Imagine my horror/shock when I came on this site tonight and started reading all the bad stuff about Hempstead. I honestly had NO IDEA it was such a bad area. I guess I always envisioned LI being a nice, family friendly area to live in with an easy train commute to Manhattan.

Can someone enlighten me? It is hard for me to believe that a campus as beautiful as this and with so many young people around, could be located in a gang infested slum area. Where are the police-local, state and federal level? How do the Hofstra campus police deal with these issues?

I seriously feel sick now, as Hofstra looks like such a great school, and as a side note, it's not cheap either. Now I am feeling a little uneasy about coming for a visit, much less sending my child there.

Thanks for your advice and comments.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:44 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Hofstra is a great University and you should have no fears about the area. It's really on the outskirts of Hemp./Uniondale/Garden City. There's a guy on this board Walter G. that can really break down the exact location for you. But that's besides the point. You're not going there to "buy a home or send your kids to Hempstead high"... Hofstra's really in its own little gated bubble community.

The furthest students will trek is to the bars across the street. TBH, the biggest fear you should have with Hofstra is the STD situation. \

**No Glove, No Love

Old 11-17-2010, 11:08 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
You really shouldn't have much to worry about. Hempstead certainly has issues and can be quite sketchy in parts, but the area around Hofstra is safe. Also even in the rougher areas of Hempstead the victims are typically those associated with gang activity, so even if someone is in that area unless they are involved with something they shouldn't be, the chances of something happening are quite slim.

Also, Hempstead's crime rate, etc really isn't that much different from the national average. It just tends to stick out like a sore thumb on Long Island because the crime rate is high compared to the rest of Long Island, which has among the lowest crime rates in the entire country.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:28 AM

63 posts, read 149,940 times
I wouldn't worry much about the crime. Yes, Hempstead isn't the best area on Long Island, but the college is great, and the area where Hofstra is really isn't bad. I know many people who have gone there and I never heard of any problems like that.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:30 AM

63 posts, read 149,940 times
And I agree with Peuqaman. Worry more about the STD's.. and getting the date rape drug. Not to worry you more than you already probably are being a parent sending your daughter away to school, but that's a concern with any college she'd go to.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:35 AM

405 posts, read 1,163,773 times
As others are saying, in essence, it's as safe as any other school.
As far as it being a great school, that I'm not so sure about. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad school just not "great" IMO.

Depending on what your D is looking to study, don't forget to take a look at Stony Brook. IMO it's a much better value, and maybe even a better education, than Hofstra.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:50 AM

35 posts, read 41,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTownBlues View Post
Depending on what your D is looking to study, don't forget to take a look at Stony Brook. IMO it's a much better value, and maybe even a better education, than Hofstra.
Excellent point. Hofstra is expensive for what is essentially a 3rd tier school. However, they are opening/have opening a medical school from what I read, so that may increase Hofstra's standing.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:06 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,500,512 times
Hofstra the Harvard of Long Island.....not!

Old 11-18-2010, 07:42 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
Just stay away from the restrooms.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:47 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
While Hofstra is like many colleges/universities in that it has a campus that is mostly its own bubble, I can guarantee you won't be impressed with the area - even just "driving through". If I had visited a college in an area like that my parents would have crossed it right off the list, no questions asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island