Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 05:33 PM

517 posts, read 2,485,433 times

Advertisements

I agree. I've been COD for two years, and every year I get flyers for discounts on service if its done in the month of August. It costs $50 to $75 dollars. Its definitely cheaper than the contract.I

I'm curious....How common is it for a burner, especially a relatively new burner to break down? I can understand if your burner is older that getting the contract might be wiser but I'm thinking the $100 bucks or more you save each year early on is worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
My burner is 3 years old and yes, I dumped the contract and saved a bunch of money. IMO, oil companies charge .60-1.00 more per gallon for the contract.
Yes, a tuneup is important and can be done for $75.00.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 09:58 PM

629 posts, read 1,701,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I don't think you can make that general assumption. The oil company I use has three service techs (they are a small family run company). Between the three of them they have close to 100 years of experience. Don't know how you can say that some guy moonlighting from his regular service job will perform better when you call him at 2am to come fix your old boiler.
No where in my reply did I make any mention of "some guy moonlighting from his regular service job" - so I have no idea what you are talking about there.

If you get peace of mind from paying a premium for your oil in return for access to 100 years of combined repair experience available to you then that's certainly your right. However, in MY life's experience - things that are thrown in for "free" as an inducement to do business with a particular company or person are seldom the same quality as going out and purchasing them independently - this was the crux of my original reply.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:24 AM

27 posts, read 134,249 times
For those of you who have gone the COD option, where do you get your service from?

I've read of people saying they call a service tech... where do you find them from, is there someone you'd recommend?

I've also seen someone suggest getting a service contract from a company... as in purchase COD oil but get an annual service contract from one of the oil delivery companies?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:26 PM

75 posts, read 312,544 times
We've been using Avalon Fuel out of Mastic for awhile. Great service and reasonable prices.

Our plumber does the yearly cleaning. I think it's $75 or $95. If we had/have a problem, that's who we call.

Got boned with a Petro contract a few years ago. Taking my chances on COD for awhile since the burner is only 6 years old.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:53 AM

59 posts, read 309,032 times
I buy my oil COD from John's Fuel and I have my contract for service with them as well.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:59 PM

13 posts, read 16,946 times
for those that pay COD, how often do you get fillups? and is it safe to assume that a fillup is between $500-$600 a pop? a friend of mine just told me that she has budgeted contract with petro for $350/month. that seems a bit high to me. she says if it works out that she's overpaying, she will get a credit, but if that happens, it's usually only a hundred or so.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:40 PM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erised View Post
for those that pay COD, how often do you get fillups? and is it safe to assume that a fillup is between $500-$600 a pop? a friend of mine just told me that she has budgeted contract with petro for $350/month. that seems a bit high to me. she says if it works out that she's overpaying, she will get a credit, but if that happens, it's usually only a hundred or so.
I've been using COD for 8 years and counting with a 20 yr old furnance. Yes, I have a a guy who does moonlight on the side to work on my furnance. He is great & have been very reliable. If not, I have a few backups in case. Yes, if I have to pay more for so call emergency calls, the money I saved from COD would MORE than cover it ....and then some.

The drawback with COD is that I measure my oil tank with a oil stick. Honestly, its give me a control & confidence when I need oil & how quickly I am burning it. More times then not, I actually save money. For example, if I do a full fill in January, I am 90% sure I can make it to without another fill for rest of the winter. In my experience, there is a general pattern of getting a better price. I would say right before the first cold spell and summers are usually good prices. fyi, I am a hands on type & it makes me very comfortable to be sort of hands on knowing how things are going

My neighbor who is on contract complains that oil companies fill up whenever they feel like at their schedule. Of course he pays whatever market price which is his biggest gripe. The customers are contractually guarantee XX amount of fills. Of course oil contracts has its own appeal which people here have pointed out.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:35 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
^^ When in a contract the companies deliver oil based on what the outdoor temperatures have been. The last thing they want is for a customer to run out of oil... Think about it. And when you are on a contract you are more than likely locked in at that price for the entire contract, it doesn't swing.

Maybe your friend only has a service contract and pay market price for oil? If so that makes no sense, let him know.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:04 PM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Maybe your friend only has a service contract and pay market price for oil? If so that makes no sense, let him know.
I typed without a detailed explanation. The complaint was the big fill right at end of the season. So my neighbored complained about a 2 thousand dollar bill at end of march which irritated him.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:15 PM

481 posts, read 1,060,589 times
Our "new" oil burner quit on us from the very first winter and has done every year since. Usually it's a clogged something, but last year it was the motor. You must get it cleaned every year... Even if it is new.

As for a contract, we had one, that first year. When the heat went out at 3:00am one night, the serviceman didn't show for about ten hours. We stopped the contract and found a great guy who even came one New Years Eve when it was zero degrees outside. He actually left a party for us. So, why tie yourself to a high price for oil to get crappy service?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island