Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2013, 11:34 AM

35 posts, read 116,066 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I may have an opportunity for a position in Melville but I know virtually nothing about Long Island. I'm currently living in White Plains and am curious as to if there are suburbs within 30 minutes from Melville which are less pricey than where I am at now (while still being a nice area).

Some basic research of Melville and surrounding towns makes it appear that the prices are very similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 2,258 times
Rentals here on Long Island are ridiculously expensive. I'm currently renting a 3 bedroom 1.5 bathroom house that is on a decent sized lot, but could definitely use some upgrades. I'm paying 2000/mo and I honestly consider it a deal for the area (dix hills - town of Huntington area) be prepared to shell out some major $. Especially if you want to live in a nice area.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:51 AM

35 posts, read 116,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssnrocket9 View Post
Rentals here on Long Island are ridiculously expensive. I'm currently renting a 3 bedroom 1.5 bathroom house that is on a decent sized lot, but could definitely use some upgrades. I'm paying 2000/mo and I honestly consider it a deal for the area (dix hills - town of Huntington area) be prepared to shell out some major $. Especially if you want to live in a nice area.
Yea from what I can tell it looks like it's in the same ballpark as White Plains and the nicer parts of Westchester.

Basically I would sacrifice 10% of my guaranteed salary but could potentially be making more money from sales opportunities. I think it's pretty up in the air as to whether the opportunity itself would be better financially and so as a result I need to find out if there's a significant enough difference in the quality of life/cost of living.

Ultimately I just want to get out of Westchester and move somewhere where I don't feel like I have to spend $600k to have something I like.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:10 PM

3,310 posts, read 2,397,446 times
I am paying $2200 for a 4 br cape in South Farmingdale. It was the cheapest I could find in 2011.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:17 PM

715 posts, read 1,238,121 times
I used to rent a one bedroom, one bath in East Northport (in someone's house) for $1400/all. It depend too if you are a single person, have significant other and/or kids. Depends if you want to live in an apartment complex or have to rent out of someones house.

I work in the Melville area and know people in my office who come from Queens. I know people who come from West Babylon, Island Park, North Babylon, West Babylon, Massapequa, Ronkonkoma... all of those towns are in various different directions.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:29 PM

791 posts, read 1,629,018 times
Prices within 30 minutes of Melville will generally be on-par with White Plains/Westchester, although you may be able to save if you're willing to rent an apartment in a 2- or 3-family home, rather than renting in a commercial complex or renting a whole house.

Also, if you are willing to expand the commute to 45 minutes, you could rent in the Ronkonkoma/Lake Grove area, where rentals are less expensive.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:56 PM

9,934 posts, read 23,236,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
Prices within 30 minutes of Melville will generally be on-par with White Plains/Westchester, although you may be able to save if you're willing to rent an apartment in a 2- or 3-family home, rather than renting in a commercial complex or renting a whole house.

Also, if you are willing to expand the commute to 45 minutes, you could rent in the Ronkonkoma/Lake Grove area, where rentals are less expensive.

The question here could be, once you figure the cost for additional gasoline consumption (and probable wear and tear on your car), do you save enough money to put up with a longer commute?

Old 10-18-2013, 01:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,258 times
A lot does depend on your living situation. I'm renting a house only because I have dogs and they have a big fenced in yard to play in and I don't have to walk them 4 times a day. I also live with my fiancée. If I was by myself id love to live in an Avalon gardens type gated community, where luxury townhouses can be rented for around $2200/mo. Unfortunately they have breed restrictions and do not allow my dogs. A luxury one bedroom in these communities can be had for around 1700/mo.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:31 PM

661 posts, read 1,067,832 times
I am almost certain you cannot touch an Avalon Property for 1700 a month for a one bedroom.

Garden City Apartments in Garden City, NY | Avalon Garden City
1 beds start at 2705
Rockville Centre Apartments in Long Island | Avalon Rockville Centre
start at 2310
Westbury Apartments in Long Island | Avalon Westbury
start at 2307.

Long Island is late to the upscale rental market ala Avalon and it certainly does not come cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island